Confirmed with Link: Seguin/Eriksson mega trade discussion II - Trade talk only, no Seguin BS

PrisonMike

Nov 26, 2007
McKinney,TX
My brother just got back from a trip to texas and got me this,

photocopy_zps7b8d76dd.jpg

photo_zps31d01c70.jpg

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
I'm with you here but sorry I am an idiot; he has to change his thoughts which will lead to necessary behaviors deemed acceptable - love how Rex said this is all Nill because he is not tying himself to this one; for the life of me I can't believe Chia got back Eriksson and Morrow; dumped the Peverley bad contract, and even got a pair of kids who can add depth to the organization. Eriksson may not have the spectacular coast to coast burst but he's a better fit and is far and away more complete. This is probably the best thing got Tyler- Joe Thornton used it to motivate him; same for Middleton who came with party boy rep

This is what amazes me. The Bruins got an outstanding return while getting out of a difficult Seguin situation and a tough Peverly contract.

I loved the return for the Kessel trade. This one is right up there as one of my all-time favorite Bruins trades.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
thanks.

curious to see if they do something like this:

Bruin_Cubs_062910.jpg

the last time they did it the season turned out pretty good

Wonder what numbers they will take?

Eriksson's 21 is open with Andrew gone but Iginla's 24... that's O'Reilly's forever.

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH

Something had to be really bad behind the scenes for Chia and Co. to "give" up on Tyler.

I know it's a cop out to say but I trust Chia 100% on this. There's no way he did this because of his play alone.. I'd go as far as to say that the decision to move on from Seguin had almost nothing to do with his actual talent and skill and had entirely to do with him as a person and a professional.

I'm not as down on Seguin as most in terms of his partying but that was still a bit red flag to me. I just disagree entirely with the whole "well he's a 20-something millionaire, anyone would do that same!" Well... no.. plenty of examples of kids breaking into the league and not acting like that. Bergeron is a perfect guy to look to in that regard.

I don't blame Seguin for wanting to be a kid. he obviously thought he could balance a care-free, fun lifestyle and work and maybe he could have. Bruins didn't see it the same way (at least from my perspective).. /shrug. Time to move on.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
This is what amazes me. The Bruins got an outstanding return while getting out of a difficult Seguin situation and a tough Peverly contract.

I loved the return for the Kessel trade. This one is right up there as one of my all-time favorite Bruins trades.

Might want to wait just a bit before proclaiming it an all-time favorite.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
What the hell does Chris Gasper know about the Seguin situation and hockey in general?
I recognize him as a skilled sportswriter and I enjoy his analysis of other sports activities.
If Harris, Fluto or Conroy had published similar opinions I would have taken notice.

It's clear that there were more "entertainment" issues behind the Seguin decision. Sure, he's 21 years old, rich and good looking. And, if I had that status with, say, a rich inheritance or the benefit of a benevolent relative, I'd do the same as Tyler...party 'till I drop. But this is different.

The Bruins are a playoff contender and cannot afford to have to worry about whether their prize posession is resting up for tomorrow's game or dancing on a bar somewhere in Chicago, or "socializing" in his hotel room. They invested major capital in Seguin and expected commensurate results.

If the team were the Panthers or the Preds, building for tomorrow, then maybe you overlook these transgressions as youthful dalliance and wait a few years for maturity.

Chiarelli and Neely decided they could not continue to address this issue and moved on to what, I would claim, is a fair and positive return.

Last edited:

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
What the hell does Chris Gasper know about the Seguin situation and hockey in general?
I recognize him as a skilled sportswriter and I enjoy his analysis of other sports activities.
If Harris, Fluto or Conroy had published similar opinions I would have taken notice.

It's clear that there were more "entertainment" issues behind the Seguin decision. Sure, he's 21 years old, rich and good looking. And, if I had that status with, say, a rich inheritance or the benefit of a benevolent relative, I'd do the same as Tyler...party 'till I drop. But this is different.

The Bruins are a playoff contender and cannot afford to have to worry about whether their prize posession is resting up for tomorrow's game or dancing on a bar somewhere in Chicago, or "socializing" in his hotel room. They invested major capital in Seguin and expected commensurate results.

If the team were the Panthers or the Preds, building for tomorrow, then maybe you overlook these transgressions as youthful dalliance and wait a few years for maturity.

Chiarelli and Neely decided they could not continue to address this issue and moved on to what, I would claim, is a fair and positive return.

Spot on. Exactly how I feel and exactly what I think happened.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

Part of the argument this article makes is a reference to Patrick Kane. I don't think there are many out there that see a lot of similarities between the two on the ice. Kane is an entirely different player. He's got same innate skill set but a TON more grit and hockey sense. When the going got tough for Chicago, Kane delivered big time -- enough to get the CS-MVP. Won a Calder and also had 10 goals and 28 points in 22 games during 2010 Cup (when he was 21).

Kane and Seguin are similar but completely different in terms of skill and results at a young age.

Maybe Seguin will turn into a supertar, but to do that Seguin needs to be A LOT more like Kane the hockey player -- as opposed to just a young and confident kid with potential. So far the only things Seguin has in common with Kane is skill, potential, and a reputation as a party boy.

Boston management is not stupid -- and to assume they made a rash decision is to ignore the fact that they know infintely more about the kid than we do or a sometime hockey writer for that matter.

By the way, if you think the Patriots aren't worried about Gronk and the way he's taking care of himself during his injury woes I'd probably not make that bet myself.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
its a great article. But I dont agree with it.

He wants the bruins to be more patient, but he doesn't take into account the Bruins as a team, the era of the bruins right now, and their actions to WIN NOW. Chara isn't getting younger and the score put in place is primed for more kicks at the can.

If you look at the state of the Eastern conference, the bruins are the most balanced, consistent team with the least amount of holes. It wont always be that way and they have to capitalize on it now. If Seguin scored a hand full of goals in the finals you're looking at the bruins being 2 time cup champs in 3 years.

If this was 2007/08 Seguin doesn't get traded (just like kessel didn't). But when you feel like your close, how many stanley cup runs do you want to sacrifice while waiting for a young potential superstar to mature? Will you be able to look back on those failed attempts when your superstar has blossomed but the rest of your core has changed and not regret doing what you HAD to do to WIN NOW.

The bruins have a cup in their future will they go and and take it? Chia is proving he will.

He has done it once before

2011 Stanley cup

Jan 9, 2012
I have a feeling This thread will be revisited by December , and can be ugly if Eriksson isn't the right ''fit'' for the Bruins .

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Pure salary dump, jacobs is sill freaked out by signing all those big contracts last summer and not getting the expected roll back in salaries with the new CBA.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Very well written, and void of all the cheap cheesy potshots everyone else seems to be taking at the kid.

Alas, still time to move on. Next time Boston drafts a highly skilled forward in the draft, I'll be placing a rather large bet on the outcome.

I guess it'll all depend on if he's a prima donna or not. Since the Bruins have drafted some highly skilled forwards that seem to do just fine(Begeron, Krejci, Lucic, Marchand)

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Pure salary dump, jacobs is sill freaked out by signing all those big contracts last summer and not getting the expected roll back in salaries with the new CBA.

With all due respect that makes no sense. Bruins have spent freely for some time now and there is zero evidence that that will change any time soon.

Over the past several years the Bruins have made bank with many home playoff games -- primarily because they've spent the money to ensure they have a competitive team.

If you want to argue that Bruins management wants to make sure they are getting good value for their dollar, that's fine. It's what any successful business should do. But Jacobs "freaked out" over salaries??? No way.:shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad