Confirmed with Link: Seguin/Eriksson mega trade discussion II - Trade talk only, no Seguin BS

Kaoz*

I guess it'll all depend on if he's a prima donna or not. Since the Bruins have drafted some highly skilled forwards that seem to do just fine(Begeron, Krejci, Lucic, Marchand)

Sorry, should have clarified I meant top end first round draft picks.

Expectations come with that type of player, again, the Kessel, Seguins and Thornton's. When guys like Krejci and Marchand turn into a 60 point player at 22 or 23 and stay that way for the rest of their time here it's a joyous surprise, when a high pick like Seguin or Kessel become a 60 point player at the age of 20 we want far far more both on the ice and in regards to the intangibles. Boston's are too high, plain and simple. They were too high with Thornton, with Kessel, and with Seguin and I have little doubt they will again be too high when the next high end drafted forward comes around.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Sorry, should have clarified I meant top end first round draft picks.

Expectations come with that type of player, again, the Kessel, Seguins and Thornton's. When guys like Krejci and Marchand turn into a 60 point player at 22 or 23 and stay that way for the rest of their time here it's a joyous surprise, when a high pick like Seguin or Kessel become a 60 point player at the age of 20 we want far far more both on the ice and in regards to the intangibles. Boston's are too high, plain and simple. They were too high with Thornton, with Kessel, and with Seguin and I have little doubt they will again be too high when the next high end drafted forward comes around.

Those are 3 guys traded for 3 separate reasons. Thornton was never going to be "the guy" and in his 14th season still isn't. Kessel is a good player, but he didn't fit in and he didn't want to be in Boston. Seguin has some obvious off-ice issues and the Bruins aren't in a position to waste their time dealing with that. Seguin had one goal in the playoffs, one, I thought he was just snake bitten , then you read the stories and see the quotes form Chiarelli and Bergeron and realize that it was more than that. Someone that puts themselves before the team is not a guy I want on my team and the Bruins don't have time to wait around for him to get it.

People brush aside these issues like they're no big deal or anything, but in the past 2 weeks Chiarelli, Bergeron and Nill have addressed them. There's something there whether people want to believe it or not.

The Bruins didn't dump him because he was a high draft pick that didn't pay immediate dividends.

Kaoz*

Those are 3 guys traded for 3 separate reasons. Thornton was never going to be "the guy" and in his 14th season still isn't. Kessel is a good player, but he didn't fit in and he didn't want to be in Boston. Seguin has some obvious off-ice issues and the Bruins aren't in a position to waste their time dealing with that. Seguin had one goal in the playoffs, one, I thought he was just snake bitten , then you read the stories and see the quotes form Chiarelli and Bergeron and realize that it was more than that. Someone that puts themselves before the team is not a guy I want on my team and the Bruins don't have time to wait around for him to get it.

People brush aside these issues like they're no big deal or anything, but in the past 2 weeks Chiarelli, Bergeron and Nill have addressed them. There's something there whether people want to believe it or not.

The Bruins didn't dump him because he was a high draft pick that didn't pay immediate dividends.

There certainly was a lot came out after the playoffs. During however you saw nice fluff pieces like this:
Seguin Turned To Claude Julien For Help During Slump

As for how Bergeron addressed Seguin, I may have missed something but both his and Chiarelli's comments seemed a far bit less worse then how they seem to be have been made out.

Maybe it was just off ice issues, but I look back to the Milan Lucic "do you know who I am" incident, and the stories about him and his now wife outside of bars post cup and see the Bruins have quite the tolerance for that kind of crap. Common sense dictates they'd have to dealing with 20 somethings, whom regardless of occupation are mostly braindead (I was at that age as are most).

This screams hockey trade to me, and hey, if it works it works. Things are getting blown way out of proportion in regards to the off ice antics, and haven't even been hinted at by anyone not named "source", in fact refuted by our own GM in Chiarelli ("But when I said earlier about focus, just about little things, about preparing to play. It was nothing about extracurricular activities.â€)

The latest idiotic Horton/Seguin angle is more proof of that same insanity.

It is what it is, a trade that could work out for Boston short term, long term, or no term. Abusing the player publicly as he leaves may make everyone feel like the risk is far far less, but in reality it only makes the people slandering the player look bad. In the case where it's all the media and much of the fanbase... well it's things like that that can alter players perceptions of an organization.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
There certainly was a lot came out after the playoffs. During however you saw nice fluff pieces like this:

As for how Bergeron addressed Seguin, I may have missed something but both his and Chiarelli's comments seemed a far bit less worse then how they seem to be have been made out.

Maybe it was just off ice issues, but I look back to the Milan Lucic "do you know who I am" incident, and the stories about him and his now wife outside of bars post cup and see the Bruins have quite the tolerance for that kind of crap. Common sense dictates they'd have to dealing with 20 somethings, whom regardless of occupation are mostly braindead (I was at that age as are most).

This screams hockey trade to me, and hey, if it works it works. Things are getting blown way out of proportion in regards to the off ice antics, and haven't even been hinted at by anyone not named "source", in fact refuted by our own GM in Chiarelli ("But when I said earlier about focus, just about little things, about preparing to play. It was nothing about extracurricular activities.â€)

It is what it is, a trade that could work out for Boston short term, long term, or no term. Abusing the player publicly as he leaves may make everyone feel like the risk is far far less, but in reality it only makes the people slandering the player look bad. In the case where it's all the media and much of the fanbase... well it's things like that that can alter players perceptions of an organization.

Great post! A lot of what's being reported isn't even true.

Segs didn't go out all playoffs. Here or TO. He brought 1 suit to TO, and that's it. Segs would've told Haggs that if he bothered reaching out to him.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
I was away for the better part of a week, and have read on here about Bergeron's comments regarding Seguin, but despite searching, can't find it.

Anybody got a link?

Thanks

Kaoz*

I was away for the better part of a week, and have read on here about Bergeron's comments regarding Seguin, but despite searching, can't find it.

Anybody got a link?

Thanks

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/21299626/bergeron-seguin-going-learn

Patrice Bergeron weighed in Tuesday and seemed to acknowledge that there’s room for improvement from the 21-year-old, but Bergeron had his teammate’s back more than anything.

“I didn’t read or see his comments, but I think Tyler is a young guy still,†Bergeron said. “He’s got a lot to learn, but at the same time, he’s improved a lot. At that stage, when you’re learning like that it’s going to happen. You need to make sure you learn from it though and find a way to get better. That’s the main thing with him. It’s just about him finding ways to battle through it and find ways and build some character out of it. He’s a terrific player, a terrific person and sometimes you need to have some lows to get back up and feel better and play better.â

Scathing, I know.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Im not sure Seguin will score lots of points in Dallas. He will be going against the other teams top defensive pair and he still hasn`t learned that you can`t go 1 on 2 vs the defense. There is a lot of work needed in his game.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Wow. 180 degrees from what I expected after what I've read on here.

I still say Chiarelli's comments are being made out to be a lot harsher than they read to me as well.

Oh well. Someone put it best yesterday, and I paraphrase: Seguin will score a boat-load in Dallas and lose a lot of games. The Bruins are set up to be cup contenders for years to come.

He`ll get his pts for sure with a ton of ice time, but I`m guessing he`ll struggle initially, different Conference, and a bloody heavy conference, and with he and Benn being pretty much the best talent on that team, easy to focus attention on them, he`ll need to find it within himself to fight through it.

Hope he does well, he provided this fan with some great moments, and helped with a Cup win but I hope the players the B`s aquired bring me more joy than he feels in Dallas;)

KevinMcHaleOnSkates

Jun 30, 2011
Anyone know when we'll see an updated B's prospect report? I'm curious where Smith and Fraser slot in. Original trade reports termed them top prospects, but the Stars rankings suggest otherwise. They had both in the 10-12 range. Are these guys legit prospects or long shots to contribute in a meaningful way?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Anyone know when we'll see an updated B's prospect report? I'm curious where Smith and Fraser slot in. Original trade reports termed them top prospects, but the Stars rankings suggest otherwise. They had both in the 10-12 range. Are these guys legit prospects or long shots to contribute in a meaningful way?

I "thought" both played some with the Stars last year?? I also thought I heard both bring elements that with some development and time (something we rarely give prospects here) they could play a role with the team moving forward???

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com

It's the age-old, lazy way of basing rankings mostly on draft pedigree & where they were picked as opposed to looking at where they are in their development. Fraser was not drafted and Smith was a late 3rd-rounder, so they drop because they aren't "sexy" high picks. I saw the list last season and got a chuckle out of a few names ranked ahead of them.

Anybody who has actually watched them play would have them higher than that, but everyone has their own opinion.

But *shrug* it's all subjective anyway. They're top-10 guys for me on Boston's depth chart after having watched them live quite a bit last season in Cedar Park and with Dallas.

Last edited:

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Awright Koaz...I gotta ask....what is "The latest idiotic Horton/Seguin angle?"

Again, I apologize, but I've been away and feel like I've missed SO much! :laugh:

Edit: I been away so long I can't even spell Kaoz! DOH!

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It's the age-old, lazy, HF way of basing rankings mostly on draft pedigree. Fraser was not drafted and Smith was a late 3rd-rounder, so they drop because they aren't "sexy" high picks. I've seen the list and got a chuckle out of a few names ranked ahead of them.

Anybody who has actually watched them play would have them higher than that, but everyone has their own opinion.

But *shrug* it's all subjective anyway. They're top-10 guys for me on Boston's depth chart after having watched them live quite a bit last season in Cedar Park and with Dallas.

Thx Kirk....I read one has a howitzer for a shot, which one is that??? He`ll be my new favourite and he should be ranked #1:sarcasm:

Confound

Vindication
Oct 28, 2010
Maine
I would 't be surprised if we trade Marchand to free up cap before Kelly goes, maybe Chia considers Kelly a core member going forward and a staple on that third line for many years to come. It pains me to think about it, but nothing would surprise me now after the Seguin trade.

Ogrim

Oct 11, 2012
Stockholm
Speaking of rankings... Had to dig up Kirks tweet from yesterday.

Kirk Luedeke ‏@kluedeke29 20h
I've got Joe Morrow #4 in Boston's system right now. Matt Fraser close by. And Cehlarik inside the top-10. Tough summer rankings to be sure

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Seguin will be let loose in Dallas playing with Jamie Benn(man I wish we got him, but Eriksson is awesome anyway) . I predict about 75 pts and a -5 or something like that. All pts and no defense.

KevinMcHaleOnSkates

Jun 30, 2011
It's the age-old, lazy way of basing rankings mostly on draft pedigree & where they were picked as opposed to looking at where they are in their development. Fraser was not drafted and Smith was a late 3rd-rounder, so they drop because they aren't "sexy" high picks. I've saw the list last season and got a chuckle out of a few names ranked ahead of them.

Thanks Kirk and ODAAT - just what I was looking for. I thought DAL was middle of the road for a prospect stable and was surprised to see Fraser so low, but I was unfamiliar with the guys ahead of him (minus Campbell, Ritchie, Olesiak).

One Stars poster said he was poor defensively and might have a hard time adjusting to better defense consistently around him. Does that have merit? I find it difficult to believe that Julien will put him on a 3rd line with Kelly.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta

And has Lucic had any other problems since? Also, that was in the off-season I believe, not the playoffs. Although, it doesn't mean he shouldn't have been carrying himself more professionally.

The Horton/Seguin thing is ridiculous as is the whole hired guard BS.

But I think you are in denial if you don't think that he has some sort of problem. It's right in front, for everyone to see, it's just a matter of whether you want to or not.

He's making poor decisions and it's starting to have and effect. I hope he starts to understand this.

I don't think he's a bad person or a bad player, I just think he's immature and the Bruins don't really have the time to wait for him to figure it out.

I also, think they got a solid return and one that will see immediate impact.

Kaoz*

And has Lucic had any other problems since? Also, that was in the off-season I believe, not the playoffs. Although, it doesn't mean he shouldn't have been carrying himself more professionally.

At some point people grow up.

The Horton/Seguin thing is ridiculous as is the whole hired guard BS.

Agree 100%

But I think you are in denial if you don't think that he has some sort of problem. It's right in front, for everyone to see, it's just a matter of whether you want to or not.

He's making poor decisions and it's starting to have and effect. I hope he starts to understand this.

I don't think he's a bad person or a bad player, I just think he's immature and the Bruins don't really have the time to wait for him to figure it out.

Not in denial at all, I think he's immature and making bad decisions as well. I think many many 21 year olds do that. The twittersphere and facebook,..umm..verse are loaded with professional athletes (and many many others) making complete ***** out of themselves and putting themselves in positions I don't agree with at all, but that's people in the new social media age, we learn a lot more about folks then most of us should want to.

As for having time to wait, 2 cup appearences in the last 3 years is exactly why I thought they had more time, but that's neither her nor there now. Spilt milk.

I also, think they got a solid return and one that will see immediate impact.

As do I, though I'm unsure of the impact until we actually see it I don't think they'd be that much worse even if the trade turned out a total bust. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Iginla exceed Horton's game here, and wouldn't be at all surprised to see Eriksson put up fewer points then we could have expected from Seguin with a more rounded game... still seems like a net win to me in the end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad