Post-Game Talk: Sedins and Luongo lose 2-1: Oh yeah, and some other guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Have to be very concerned about this team for the first two weeks of November. All against pacific teams with our
gutted roster. Those are games we can't afford to lose, but will be very lucky to have a winning record during that stretch.

Gillis has to make a decision to make a move now, or there's a very real chance we could lose a lot of points early in the season when we start playing good teams more often. I don't think even the most optimistic fans believe that we are beating teams like Chicago, LA, SJ, or even Anaheim with the current forward group.

I was all for writing this season off and waiting for next year, but the way the Sedins are playing, I think it would be really foolish to let such a good season from them go to waste. I'd like to see some help brought in to give us a chance to win a cup because the Sedins don't have many 90-100pt seasons left.

I think you're overestimating the injuries given that Hansen is really the only player of note missing.

And yeah they have a tough stretch to start November, but then 14 of the next 20 games are against teams that are in the bottom half of the league in points %.

As for the bolded, I recall pretty much everyone on here wrote off the St. Louis game and the Canucks ended up beating them on the 2nd half of a back to back with Lack in net. The Canucks could easily pull out a win against any of those teams and other than San Jose or maybe Chicago, I'd put it at more or less even odds who wins. LA has had the easiest schedule in the league to start the year and they still have essentially the same record as the Canucks.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Tough to pull out wins when your starting goalie has an .894 sv% against playoff teams and has allowed 3+ GA in all but one of those games. Once Luongo picks up his play (which it seems he's started to do based on his last few games) I think the Canucks will fare much better against good teams.

Good point. I'd like to see y2k's response to this.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
The forward group is the problem. You can't have one line producing most of the goals. Also you can't rely on one line to play 23 or more minutes every game. Towards the end of the season the Sedins and Kesler will be burnt out. All three of them will play in Sochi too.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
The forward group is the problem. You can't have one line producing most of the goals. Also you can't rely on one line to play 23 or more minutes every game. Towards the end of the season the Sedins and Kesler will be burnt out. All three of them will play in Sochi too.

This is my fear too and why I'm not getting too excited about this team. We all have to open our eyes to the reality that the current situation the team is in is totally unsustainable. It's fun watching Beast Modo win games for us but it's not going to last. This is not the way to be a winning team over the long haul.

GrogZilla

Mar 31, 2013
I think you're overestimating the injuries given that Hansen is really the only player of note missing.

And yeah they have a tough stretch to start November, but then 14 of the next 20 games are against teams that are in the bottom half of the league in points %.

As for the bolded, I recall pretty much everyone on here wrote off the St. Louis game and the Canucks ended up beating them on the 2nd half of a back to back with Lack in net. The Canucks could easily pull out a win against any of those teams and other than San Jose or maybe Chicago, I'd put it at more or less even odds who wins. LA has had the easiest schedule in the league to start the year and they still have essentially the same record as the Canucks.

We dressed:
Sedin Sedin Kesler
Higgins Santorelli Burrows
Archibald Richardson Kassian
Sestito Welsh Weber

VS:
Sedin Sedin Kesler
Higgins Santorelli Hansen
Burrows Schroeder Kassian
Booth Richardson Weise

If everyone was healthy I think it'd make a huge difference in our lineup.
A 3rd line that was a threat to score & a 4th line that could actually play.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I'm not sure I buy the one line team thing, at least so far this year. In 10-11 52% of the Canucks' goals were scored with H. Sedin on the ice and so far this year that number is 56%. Here's where he ranks with some other first liners so far:

Zetterberg: 69%
Crosby: 63%
Krecji: 56%
Ovechkin: 56%
H. Sedin: 56%
Stamkos: 55%
Kessel: 49%
Backes: 49%
Kopitar: 47%
Thornton: 46%
Toews: 44%

Chicago and San Jose stick out there with excellent depth scoring, but I don't think Vancouver is as one dimensional as people are suggesting when compared to other teams. The real question is will it continue? Santorelli and Richardson will likely see drop offs, but Burrows and Hansen could easily make up for that.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I'm not sure I buy the one line team thing, at least so far this year. In 10-11 52% of the Canucks' goals were scored with H. Sedin on the ice and so far this year that number is 56%. Here's where he ranks with some other first liners so far:

Chicago and San Jose stick out there with excellent depth scoring, but I don't think Vancouver is as one dimensional as people are suggesting when compared to other teams. The real question is will it continue? Santorelli and Richardson will likely see drop offs, but Burrows and Hansen could easily make up for that.

Good point. Where are you getting these numbers?

What was Krejci's percentage in 2011?

Interesting also to see the lower number from Thornton.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Good point. Where are you getting these numbers?

What was Krejci's percentage in 2011?

Interesting also to see the lower number from Thornton.

I just manually calculated them from NHL.com stats.

Krejci was extremely low in 10-11 at about 35%. That team had some pretty great depth though with even their 4th liners being on for about 10% of the team's GF.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto

What you're forgetting is PP production. Looking at those player's ES production would give a better sense of how much they contribute based on the lines, rather than points scored by Crosby while with Malkin on the PP, for instance.

Tanevian*

I just manually calculated them from NHL.com stats.

Krejci was extremely low in 10-11 at about 35%. That team had some pretty great depth though with even their 4th liners being on for about 10% of the team's GF.

If Krejci had a 100 points rather than 62 would that change anything in terms of "depth". Or am I doing this wrong?

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
Tough to pull out wins when your starting goalie has an .894 sv% against playoff teams and has allowed 3+ GA in all but one of those games. Once Luongo picks up his play (which it seems he's started to do based on his last few games) I think the Canucks will fare much better against good teams.

and the canucks are scoring 2.1 goals for on average vs playoff teams which includes the 5 goals for against the islanders (big deal, the isles suck)- they are scoring an average of 1.66 GPG taking them out. i'm guessing you want luongo to score goals as well?

Tanevian*

and the canucks are scoring 2.1 goals for on average vs playoff teams which includes the 5 goals for against the islanders (big deal, the isles suck)- they are scoring an average of 1.66 GPG taking them out. i'm guessing you want luongo to score goals as well?

No, just be as good as his counterpart I guess. Or maybe better.

And a round and a round we go!

topched88

Jan 21, 2007

Most accurate statement about anything to do with canucks hockey:

"Luongo could walk on water, and the majority of canucks fans would criticize him for not running."

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
No, just be as good as his counterpart I guess. Or maybe better.

And a round and a round we go!

luongo is 7-4-1, so yeah he is better than the other goalie most nights. or are you saying he should be winning all those games when the team in front of him is only putting up 1 goal? because all 4 of his losses are from those situations.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
We've seen this team start out slow before and every year they correct that throughout the rest of the season. This is actually one of their better Octobers, while learning a new system, and one loss still results in a total **** storm around here.

I fear for some fans here if this team does ever end up actually tanking.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
We've seen this team start out slow before and every year they correct that throughout the rest of the season. This is actually one of their better Octobers, while learning a new system, and one loss still results in a total **** storm around here.

This board is going to lose it if we don't win on Saturday.

Alflives*

That's our core, and add Kesler. What does that tell us about our future?:help:

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Thought Luongo looked as sharp as he has all year, and it was sort of ironic and funny that he let in maybe his worst goal of the year. It happens.

Should Zetterberg be brought up on criminal charges?

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC

This hasn't been a slow start to the season at all. In fact, it's been a great start! I don't think anyone has any problems with the record. It's the underlying depth issue that is masked when Beast Modo is winning games for the team and when Mike Santorelli is playing way above himself (I already said that if Santorelli proves that this is for real and can play and produce like this all year then I will eat my words. I just think it's unrealistic and, frankly, unfair to expect it).

Mind you, this issue has only been magnified now that Kesler is on the top line. If and when Kesler is returned to the 2nd line centre spot and when Hansen returns the team will look better equipped to roll lines and ease the big minutes off the star players. The big factor that still remains, though, and what my only issue is, is that Gillis needs to add at least one more top 6 forward for the long run. If that happens, you won't hear a peep from me because I'm honestly pretty happy with everything else.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
I am almost happy with the loss. Much better to have it last night than on this coming Saturday.

It is not guaranteed that we are going to win Saturday given how this team is offensively right now and how the leafs is goaltending wise.

Alflives*

I am almost happy with the loss. Much better to have it last night than on this coming Saturday.

What? How can losing last night possibly effect the result of Saturday's game? I would rather see our guys win both, wouldn't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad