Secrets of Kessel’s success include unique stick and deceptive strength

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The **** are you talking about? Strongmen and sumo wrestlers' size certainly take a toll on their health. Obviously 350 on them is a different 350 than the average person, but the end of the day those carrying 20%+ body fat are at higher health risks. Being fat is never a good thing, this isn't coming from some skinny guy who has never lifted, I'm 6'5 300 and have played football for years on top of a intense lifting regime. Though I carry it far better than the average person I'm under no presupposition that I would not be healthier at 265 with abs.

I genuinely believe if Phil took care of his body a little better and took a greater interest in his nutrition, we'd see an even better version of him that would push him toward 50 goals. He would be even quicker if he lost that flab.

Where have you seen his "flab"? Has anyone ever seen him with his shirt off?

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
I really feel he's transcended the bipolar love / hate thing we do here, really if Kessel plays like crap for 10 games I'm not worried because I know he will come ... 'roaring back'... whereas in the past I was skeptical, I don't change my opinion of him based on slumps anymore.
He's earned the trust of most of the fan base.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
he uses a sub 70 flex?? that cant be right. I thought he used an 80 flex. Sub 70 is an intermediate. Thats a hell of a lot of whip.

Thats because he uses an intermediate flex.

i dont know dude. I have a Kessel pro stock stick and it says 80 flex on it. Not sure if his actual game sticks are whipper though

Keep in mind NHLers can largely do what they want. For a while Ovechkin used a bauer stick that was painted as a CCM RBZ.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I genuinely believe if Phil took care of his body a little better and took a greater interest in his nutrition, we'd see an even better version of him that would push him toward 50 goals. He would be even quicker if he lost that flab.

What is he eating that you think is causing his issues?

I've never read anything about his diet or eating habits (aside from Dion bugging him about a cookie 3 years ago). Is there a link you can provide?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I've never read anything about his diet or eating habits (aside from Dion bugging him about a cookie 3 years ago). Is there a link you can provide?

He breathes hard after his shift therefore he's fat therefore he has bad eating habits. There's your link!

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre

Ok let me just send you a link to kessel's daily eating habits, would you like a link for his frequent bowel movements too?

Hibachi

Oct 22, 2013
Kessel obviously isn't out of shape, or he wouldn't be skating past 90% of the league. But you have to ask yourself, if he had the work ethic of Crosby or Stamkos, how great would he be. That applies to every player, because not everyone can simply have the drive Crosby/Stamkos have to be gym rats and constantly work on their game. Thats what makes them great and really stand out from the rest of the league.

Like I said, that applies to every player, have to think how great Kadri would be if he had Stamkos' drive to be amazing and constantly be in the gym, or on the ice. improving in every area of the game.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Yeah I would never touch something less than a 90. Be too afraid to snap it just like you did.

Yeah I'm decently lean. I'm not sure what my percentage is, but it was around 18ish when I was 260. So probably a little leaner now.

And I would totally agree, taller leads to the need for a stiffer stick. The mechanics change a lot the higher you get. Putting 240 pounds of weight on a 6 foot stick is a lot different than 200 pounds of weight of a 5 foot stick.

I used to use a larger stick but I dropped it by about 4 inches staying around the same 95ish flex. Changed things immensely for me, although I had to refine my slapper a little.

Oh cool. How many inches below your chin is your stick?

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Kessel obviously isn't out of shape, or he wouldn't be skating past 90% of the league. But you have to ask yourself, if he had the work ethic of Crosby or Stamkos, how great would he be. That applies to every player, because not everyone can simply have the drive Crosby/Stamkos have to be gym rats and constantly work on their game. Thats what makes them great and really stand out from the rest of the league.

Like I said, that applies to every player, have to think how great Kadri would be if he had Stamkos' drive to be amazing and constantly be in the gym, or on the ice. improving in every area of the game.

You have to think to yourself how do you know what his work ethic is?

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
Thats because he uses an intermediate flex.

Keep in mind NHLers can largely do what they want. For a while Ovechkin used a bauer stick that was painted as a CCM RBZ.

having sticks painted is quite common among pro players. When Kessel was using Bauer sticks he was using an X60 painted as a TotalOne.

I have never heard of flexes being mislabeled though

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
having sticks painted is quite common among pro players. When Kessel was using Bauer sticks he was using an X60 painted as a TotalOne.

Could be something he just tried out in practice, messed around with a bit and didn't like it.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
If Kessel was out of shape he wouldn't be skating full speed every shift. Think about it people.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011

I have a prostock that doesn't even have a flex on it. If it was something extreme it'd be odd but a common flex like 85 is very likely just a generic paint job

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

Well, you can get a variety of flexes with the same players name on the stick. The only thing that remains consistent is the curve. That's really what people need to be looking at. If you go on eBay and look at pro stock sticks that were actually game used by that player, you'll find different flexes all over the place. I saw a Cody Franson game used stick on there that was an 85 flex IIRC, almost shocking for a man his size and position. Although he really only takes those half clappers it was still a surprise. Point being, take the flex with a grain of salt regarding the name of the guy on it, chances are that's simply a flex that'll sell at the store, not the actual flex the player uses.

StringsAttached

BPD Nation!
Oct 1, 2013
Vaughan, ON
kesselsnipe.gif

That shot is so filthy...better than Gaborik's even. Kessel has the best wrister in the league after Ovy and even then Ovy can never snipe it like Kessel...he likes to go 5 hole.

I assume because his stick flex is so low that he has a hard time controlling the puck? W/e i'd take his shot over him trying to dangle the opposition 99 times out of a 100.

StringsAttached

BPD Nation!
Oct 1, 2013
Vaughan, ON
lol for the people saying how he's gassed and hunched over after every shift I always looked at it like he was trying to avoid the cameras.

Kessel's naturally a weird guy/shy person...who knows what kind of mantras he does on the bench. I don't think he hunches down because he's gassed he doesn't even look tired when he gets to the bench.

Murphy Blue

Live blue
Nov 12, 2008
Newfoundland
Seriously who cares. I wouldn't care if he was 400 pounds if he could skate and score like he does I wouldn't care if he needed someone to tie up his skates for him

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
Well, you can get a variety of flexes with the same players name on the stick. The only thing that remains consistent is the curve. That's really what people need to be looking at. If you go on eBay and look at pro stock sticks that were actually game used by that player, you'll find different flexes all over the place. I saw a Cody Franson game used stick on there that was an 85 flex IIRC, almost shocking for a man his size and position. Although he really only takes those half clappers it was still a surprise. Point being, take the flex with a grain of salt regarding the name of the guy on it, chances are that's simply a flex that'll sell at the store, not the actual flex the player uses.

i have seen about 10 pro stock Kessel sticks and they were all 80 flexes. I know we`re beating a dead horse here but just sayin

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

I think most NHLers do this actually. It's a pretty common practice to do it for sponsors. That they don't actually have to use a stick they don't like but still rep the brand they have a deal with.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Ok let me just send you a link to kessel's daily eating habits, would you like a link for his frequent bowel movements too?

No, I'd like to know what information (and how it was obtained) the poster had that he allowed him to make an informed assessment of Kessel's nutritional habits.

His bowel movements are of no concern to me, but I am somewhat curious as to how you would be able to provide that information.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad