Secrets of Kessel’s success include unique stick and deceptive strength

Wami

Chicken Lyfe'
Mar 8, 2013
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...stick-and-deceptive-strength/article16677523/

“Extremely powerful,†Leafs netminder James Reimer said of Kessel’s deceptive gifts. “It’s just sneaky, strong power. I don’t know what he does in the summer to work on it or if that’s just natural ability, but he’s got probably the strongest legs on the team.â€

A good example is Kessel’s use of one of the most flexible and unique composite sticks in the NHL, with a fine-tuned kick point low, down near the blade, that allows the shaft to bend like a rubber band and that gives him one of the hardest-to-stop shots in the world.

New stick technology has changed the way all players interact with pucks in the past decade, but Kessel has taken more advantage of it than most. His stick, manufactured by Easton, is believed to have a flex rating of less than 70, one of the lowest in the league.

“If you put that stick in the hands of a run-of-the-mill guy, he’ll have a hard time doing anything with that thing,†O’Neill said.

“It’s very hard to handle the puck,†said Maple Leafs winger Joffrey Lupul, who uses one of the stiffest sticks on the team. “It takes talent. He’s been using that stick for a long time and, obviously, he just has more talent than the rest of us. He’s able to deal with it.

Lupul, meanwhile, can only chuckle when asked why appearances are so deceiving when it comes to Kessel. He has known him long enough now to realize Kessel is simply one of the most athletically talented people he’ll ever meet, whether they are on the rink, the golf course or anywhere else.

And he doesn’t underestimate him any more.

“Any sport you want to play him in, he’ll beat you at,†Lupul said. “That’s just natural fast-twitch muscles. It’s the same thing if you go play golf with him. … You wouldn’t picture him driving the ball 50, 60 yards past you, but it happens.

Nice long read by Mirtle that really highlights some of the stuff I've been wanting to hear about Kessel for a long time. Particularly cool to hear about his stick, shot mechanics and athletic ability from his teammates, very cool!

TheThrill81*

The Last Philbender.

KesselSlow2909233.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
I love it when people get on him saying he's out of shape when he's clearly not

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
He wins a tonne of battles along the board. Especially on the PP. Probably with a combination of that deceptive strength and filthy hands.

Let's be clear about it: this isn't the Kessel that the Bruins traded.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Those saying he's fat and out of shape were just looking for a reaction, no one actually believed that.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
You can still be strong but out of shape. I've never seen a player always so gassed and hunched over on the bench because he can't breathe after every shift. But he's still our best player so...

TheThrill81*

You can still be strong but out of shape. I've never seen a player always so gassed and hunched over on the bench because he can't breathe after every shift. But he's still our best player so...

Even people who move like a rocket up and down the ice get tired once in a while.

Ed Belfour

Nov 9, 2011
Toronto
To be that fast you gotta have powerful legs, but I wouldn't say he's in great shape. You guys saw him in 24/7, he's pretty pudgy at best. Who cares though, the guy is incredible.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009

Maybe he's tired because he goes all out every shift. If he was as out of shape as some say then he wouldn't be able to skate as fast as he does even at the end of the 3rd.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Nobody skates as much as Kessel when they are on the ice...

That saying works both ways...when players don't look gassed, they aren't trying, when they do, they are clearly out of shape.

Kessel plays 20 minutes of high pace hockey. I bet he's out there working harder than 90% of the players on the ice.

There are lots of things to criticize Kessel on when he's not on his game..but I don't think shape is one of them.

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
he uses a sub 70 flex?? that cant be right. I thought he used an 80 flex. Sub 70 is an intermediate. Thats a hell of a lot of whip.

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
he uses a sub 70 flex?? that cant be right. I thought he used an 80 flex. Sub 70 is an intermediate. Thats a hell of a lot of whip.

Thats why goalies can read his shot. It bends so much more than anyone elses shot pattern that only phil knows where its going.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County

It's right. I alternate between 67 flex and 77 flex sticks. Not saying I can shoot like Kessel even in the slightest, or I am even as big as him but I'm just saying it's not quite as uncommon as you might think.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I run a 70 specifically because of what it does to my snap shop. I'm 6'4 180. Lose some accuracy on the clapper but man that snap shot flies off the stick. Always wanted to try a custom lower kick but I dunno now. I'm no Phil Kessel :)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm surprised he doesn't break more sticks.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto

It has been documented it's because he is shy of the camera so he hunches over on purpose.

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
He has natural strength and talent. I'm not saying he's fat , but I bet if he put the same amount of time and effort into working out like Stamkos or Crosby, he would be just as good as them. Then again, he has rarely been injured, so whatever he is doing seems to be working.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario

its like u prefer he coasts around so he isn't as tired on the bench or something?

and when does it matter wtf he is doing on the bench? lmao

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
It's right. I alternate between 67 flex and 77 flex sticks. Not saying I can shoot like Kessel even in the slightest, or I am even as big as him but I'm just saying it's not quite as uncommon as you might think.

i dont know dude. I have a Kessel pro stock stick and it says 80 flex on it. Not sure if his actual game sticks are whipper though

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
i dont know dude. I have a Kessel pro stock stick and it says 80 flex on it. Not sure if his actual game sticks are whipper though

He couldve moved to something lighter. Heck it could be labelled 80 and he asked the company to send him a whippier stick without changing anything about the stick aesthetically, including the label.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad