Secrets of Kessel’s success include unique stick and deceptive strength

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
The **** are you talking about? Strongmen and sumo wrestlers' size certainly take a toll on their health. Obviously 350 on them is a different 350 than the average person, but the end of the day those carrying 20%+ body fat are at higher health risks. Being fat is never a good thing, this isn't coming from some skinny guy who has never lifted, I'm 6'5 300 and have played football for years on top of a intense lifting regime. Though I carry it far better than the average person I'm under no presupposition that I would not be healthier at 265 with abs.

I genuinely believe if Phil took care of his body a little better and took a greater interest in his nutrition, we'd see an even better version of him that would push him toward 50 goals. He would be even quicker if he lost that flab.

good for you that you want to be healthier. I honestly would careless if you are a midget and played "competitive football". No need to bring yourself into this, we are talking about Phil Kessel.

I really don't think you got the point. A sumo wrestler who is 350lb is MUCH healthier than a regular man who is 350lb.

If you think every "healthy" person should be looking like an abercrombie model, then you got some serious social physiological issues with idealistic beauty.

To say that Phil Kessel is fat or unhealthy just because he "looks" fat is stupid and unproven. In fact, he's one of the fastest skaters in the NHL and top players in the league. I doubt that someone who is "out of shape" would make top 10 of any list in the NHL.

To also say that if he did more "cardio" to burn of his "fat" would equal more performance is also false speculation. I can argue that if he changed his training to more cardio, he might have "worse" performance by taking away his explosive speed.

Unless you're phil kessel's personal assistant, i doubt you would know what his "nutrition" is. Do you know what michael phelps eats? it would scare you because it's not salad, salad, salad.

Wami

Chicken Lyfe'
Mar 8, 2013
The strength:

God I love that, takes the body on him.

I was less impressed by the wrister video, I would like to see a recent slow-mo of him and perhaps one that gets some height, looked to barely get off the ground in that shot

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I run a 70 specifically because of what it does to my snap shop. I'm 6'4 180. Lose some accuracy on the clapper but man that snap shot flies off the stick. Always wanted to try a custom lower kick but I dunno now. I'm no Phil Kessel :)
I've starting doing the same as well. Being the same height and mass, I get a lot more leverage from an 85 flex, but the trade-off is worth it.

i1

Nov 10, 2011
Newfoundland
You can still be strong but out of shape. I've never seen a player always so gassed and hunched over on the bench because he can't breathe after every shift. But he's still our best player so...

He's camera shy, TSN did a piece and JVR was making fun of him for it :laugh:

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad