Secret Agreement to Drop Crawford Ordered Revealed - Brain Injury see Post #114

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
Hence the party with the deep pockets has been joined to the action.

Also Bertuzzi has an agreement with the corporate defendant as to indemnity and insurance coverage.

There has already been legal action in respect of Bertuzzi transferring property to his wife.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/bertuzzi-and-wife-sued-for-fraud-1.594595

This would be under the Fraudulent Conveyances Act (Ontario) which attacks real or personal property transfers whereby the underlying intention is to defeat, hinder, delay or defraud creditors or potential creditors.

Where conveyances void as against creditors
2. Every conveyance of real property or personal property and every bond, suit, judgment and execution heretofore or hereafter made with intent to defeat, hinder, delay or defraud creditors or others of their just and lawful actions, suits, debts, accounts, damages, penalties or forfeitures are void as against such persons and their assigns. R.S.O. 1990, c. F.29, s. 2.

Where s. 2 does not apply
3. Section 2 does not apply to an estate or interest in real property or personal property conveyed upon good consideration and in good faith to a person not having at the time of the conveyance to the person notice or knowledge of the intent set forth in that section. R.S.O. 1990, c. F.29, s. 3.

Where s. 2 applies
4. Section 2 applies to every conveyance executed with the intent set forth in that section despite the fact that it was executed upon a valuable consideration and with the intention, as between the parties to it, of actually transferring to and for the benefit of the transferee the interest expressed to be thereby transferred, unless it is protected under section 3 by reason of good faith and want of notice or knowledge on the part of the purchaser. R.S.O. 1990, c. F.29, s. 4.​

As far as pension benefits being subject to garnishment, it varies from province to province.

Under Ontario’s Execution Act, certain assets belonging to a debtor are sheltered from seizure and sale by creditors. Generally speaking, the following items are exempt from seizure:
  • necessary and ordinary wearing apparel of the debtor and his or her family not exceeding $5,650 in value;
  • the household furniture, utensils, equipment, food and fuel that are contained in and form part of the permanent home of the debtor, not exceeding $11,300 in value;
  • tools and instruments and other chattels ordinarily used by the debtor in the debtor’s business, profession or calling not exceeding $11,300 in value (unless the debtor is in the farming business, in which case different limits apply);
  • a motor vehicle not exceeding $5,650 in value;
  • welfare payments;
  • insurance moneys;
    [*]pension benefits;
  • a portion of a worker’s net wages; and
    [*]benefits under the Canada Pension Plan and under the Employment Insurance Act.

excellent response. thank-you.

Wetcoaster

Ten years since the Bertuzzi criminal assault on Moore - TSN is running a three part part series looking back and where we are now.

In Tribulations And Trial - a three-part series starting tonight - SportsCentre looks back at the Todd Bertuzzi-Steve Moore incident and what lies ahead. The first part looks back at the incident itself and how everything unfolded up to that point. On Friday, SportsCentre has a one-on-one interview with Moore discussing what's happened since then. And on Saturday - 10 years to the day after the incident - TSN reporter Matthew Scianitti looks ahead at what to expect in Moore's lawsuit.​
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=445435

And Rogers Sportsnet is doing a two parter:

We are just two days away from a sad anniversary in the history of the Vancouver Canucks.

This weekend marks 10 years since Todd Bertuzzi’s career-ending sucker punch on Steve Moore of the Colorado Avalanche. The infamous incident is being remembered in a two-day special on Rogers Sportsnet, starting tonight.

The attack that left Moore with a concussion and three fractured vertebrae.

He says Bertuzzi never challenged him to fight. “I don’t think I was on the ice with him the whole game.â€

“I had just been challenged to fight one second before by Sean Pronger, I think. So… it was just another shift of player after player challenging in a fight when I’ve already fought and we’re up 8-2,†Moore tells Sportsnet.

“I’m just like anyone else; you can watch the video tape — [Bertuzzi's] following me around.â€

Moore is suing Bertuzzi for $38 million in a case that goes to trial in September.​
http://www.news1130.com/2014/03/06/ten-year-anniversary-of-bertuzzis-sucker-punch-this-weekend/

Here was an interview with Steve Moore in December 2013 on PTS:
Former NHLer Steve Moore joined Prime Time Sports to discuss the Steve Moore Foundation, its directive to reduce concussions and brain injuries, and the recent spat of headshots in the NHL.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/moore-a-cautionary-tale-for-headshots/

Here is Ed Willes on PTS:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/

Last edited by a moderator:

Towel-Power

GoCanucksGo
Apr 1, 2007
HomeoftheClassless
This has been an awful week for the Canucks. Kind of a coincidence it happens to be on the 10 year anniversary of this incident. Almost like karmic justice (okay that's a stretch).

These specials on Sportsnet and TSN are tough to watch though. 10 years later but feels like yesterday.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
Your lay knowledge does not accord with the reality of trying such a case.

The evidence of family members will be weighed and given the weight decided by the jury subject to the legal instructions of the judge.

Moore's counsel wants to know what was said between ownership and management following the hit on Naslund and the lead up to the Bertuzzi assault and what they knew.

The NHL issued a statement that the Canucks organization had been warned after the the "paying the price" comments by Crawford, bounty comments by May and Burke's comments would all be evidence to support the claim

One of the causes of action being pleaded is negligent supervision (in addition to vicarious liability). Under the tort of negligent supervision an employer is held personally liable because of its own tortious conduct. This type of action is grounded in the theory of negligent supervision – the belief that an employer itself creates unreasonable risks of harm by improper or unreasonable selection and supervision of an employee.

The additional bonus for Moore in proving a separate tort for negligent supervision by the club is the addition of another claim for punitive damages (beyond that of Bertuzzi's battery itself).

There is strong external evidence for this claim of negligent supervision (and/or vicarious liability) on the part of the Canucks and its employees as the NHL imposed a significant fine on the team. In his decision suspending Bertuzzi and fining the Canucks, Colin Campbell noted the team had been warned and that it failed to properly supervise or control its players:

"In light of numerous player comments about Mr. Moore following the Vancouver-Colorado game of February 16, we believe the Vancouver organization ultimately bears some responsibility for monitoring and, to the extent necessary, attempting to moderate the focus of its team," said Campbell. "While the League provided appropriate advance warnings to both organizations... we believe that more could have and should have been done."​

In the result the Canucks were fined $250,000.

The NHL in its ruling has gone a long way to proving Moore's allegations that the team is liable either vicariously or on the tort of negligent supervision.

Doesn't this whole case set precedent for hits that are comparatively minor? I mean the next time something like the Keith-Sedin incident happends?

Raincouver

Mar 2, 2014
Hence the party with the deep pockets has been joined to the action.

Also Bertuzzi has an agreement with the corporate defendant as to indemnity and insurance coverage.

There has already been legal action in respect of Bertuzzi transferring property to his wife.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/bertuzzi-and-wife-sued-for-fraud-1.594595

This would be under the Fraudulent Conveyances Act (Ontario) which attacks real or personal property transfers whereby the underlying intention is to defeat, hinder, delay or defraud creditors or potential creditors.

Where conveyances void as against creditors
2. Every conveyance of real property or personal property and every bond, suit, judgment and execution heretofore or hereafter made with intent to defeat, hinder, delay or defraud creditors or others of their just and lawful actions, suits, debts, accounts, damages, penalties or forfeitures are void as against such persons and their assigns. R.S.O. 1990, c. F.29, s. 2.

Where s. 2 does not apply
3. Section 2 does not apply to an estate or interest in real property or personal property conveyed upon good consideration and in good faith to a person not having at the time of the conveyance to the person notice or knowledge of the intent set forth in that section. R.S.O. 1990, c. F.29, s. 3.

Where s. 2 applies
4. Section 2 applies to every conveyance executed with the intent set forth in that section despite the fact that it was executed upon a valuable consideration and with the intention, as between the parties to it, of actually transferring to and for the benefit of the transferee the interest expressed to be thereby transferred, unless it is protected under section 3 by reason of good faith and want of notice or knowledge on the part of the purchaser. R.S.O. 1990, c. F.29, s. 4.​

As far as pension benefits being subject to garnishment, it varies from province to province.

Under Ontario’s Execution Act, certain assets belonging to a debtor are sheltered from seizure and sale by creditors. Generally speaking, the following items are exempt from seizure:
  • necessary and ordinary wearing apparel of the debtor and his or her family not exceeding $5,650 in value;
  • the household furniture, utensils, equipment, food and fuel that are contained in and form part of the permanent home of the debtor, not exceeding $11,300 in value;
  • tools and instruments and other chattels ordinarily used by the debtor in the debtor’s business, profession or calling not exceeding $11,300 in value (unless the debtor is in the farming business, in which case different limits apply);
  • a motor vehicle not exceeding $5,650 in value;
  • welfare payments;
  • insurance moneys;
    [*]pension benefits;
  • a portion of a worker’s net wages; and
    [*]benefits under the Canada Pension Plan and under the Employment Insurance Act.

Wetcoaster, thanks for all your info on this case. I have a few questions for you, as I have been following the case, but don't know much about the legalities.

I had a few questions.

1: Do you know what the outcome was of the "fraud" thing over the property transfer? How much of Bertuzzi's assets really could be protected?

2: Naslund denied that he refused to testify but a Toronto Star report said he and the Sedins refused, and Danson complained that the hockey fraternity's code of silence was making his case difficult. Is this going to be an issue moving forward?

3: The incident happened during the first year of Bertuzzi's big contract:

Here is what he's earned since:

Oct 2003: four-year, $27.8 million
Jul 2007: two-year, $8 million contract
Aug 2009: one-year contract $1.5 million
June 2010: two-year, $3.875 million contract
2012-13: $1,975,000
2013-14: $2,175,000

45.325 Million

In other words, Bertuzzi has made about to 40 Million USD (Minus taxes, escrow, NHLPA fees, agent fees, income taxes, CPP, EI, state taxes, etc) SINCE his fist was driven into the back of Moore's head. Minus Geoff Adair's decade long legal bill and this is reduced even further.

Bertuzzi had 2 goals in his last 3 games, but was a healthy scratch in Detroit's eight games prior to the Olympic break and again recently. He will likely not be back in Detroit next season, but I think could find a team looking for a veteran 3rd/4th liner with hands on the cheap.

Let's say there's a settlement with the Canucks, how much do you think Bert will end up paying? Is it likely he would have to declare bankruptcy?

Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster, thanks for all your info on this case. I have a few questions for you, as I have been following the case, but don't know much about the legalities.

I had a few questions.

1: Do you know what the outcome was of the "fraud" thing over the property transfer? How much of Bertuzzi's assets really could be protected?
The last I heard was that the matter was adjourned sine die pending settlement/trial.

If a defendant is trying to shield assets from possible future judgment creditor (even before an action is filed) then those transactions are subject to attack as I noted above as a fraudulent conveyance.

2: Naslund denied that he refused to testify but a Toronto Star report said he and the Sedins refused, and Danson complained that the hockey fraternity's code of silence was making his case difficult. Is this going to be an issue moving forward?
It was always going to be an issue.

However remember there was both an extensive league investigation and criminal investigation by VPD in which Canucks players, coaches and management would have given statements. I assume those statements will form part of Moore's case and remember Bettman and Daly are being called and I expect they will speak to the league investigation and actions. Remember the Canucks were fined $250,000 by the league for not doing enough to prevent the incident.

A similar sort of thing occurred during the Krutov transfer arbitration when the NHL investigation of Quinngate was put before the arbitrator that pretty much destroyed Quinn's credibility as a witness.

3: The incident happened during the first year of Bertuzzi's big contract:

Here is what he's earned since:

Oct 2003: four-year, $27.8 million
Jul 2007: two-year, $8 million contract
Aug 2009: one-year contract $1.5 million
June 2010: two-year, $3.875 million contract
2012-13: $1,975,000
2013-14: $2,175,000

45.325 Million

In other words, Bertuzzi has made about to 40 Million USD (Minus taxes, escrow, NHLPA fees, agent fees, income taxes, CPP, EI, state taxes, etc) SINCE his fist was driven into the back of Moore's head. Minus Geoff Adair's decade long legal bill and this is reduced even further.

Bertuzzi had 2 goals in his last 3 games, but was a healthy scratch in Detroit's eight games prior to the Olympic break and again recently. He will likely not be back in Detroit next season, but I think could find a team looking for a veteran 3rd/4th liner with hands on the cheap.

Let's say there's a settlement with the Canucks, how much do you think Bert will end up paying? Is it likely he would have to declare bankruptcy?
The Canucks are a defendant and they have the deep pockets.

If they are found vicariously liable for Bertuzzi's acts as his employer then the liability is joint and several. Moore can then execute his judgment against the Canucks and leave it to the defendants to fight out out among themselves as to apportionment of damages and indemnities.

There is an agreement between the defendants as to apportionment and indemnity but that agreement has not been made public at this point. The interesting thing of course is that prior to that Bertuzzi had given some very damning evidence in his motion to join Crawford as a third party and during examination for discovery. Those statements could be very powerful evidence in Moore's favour.

I have no idea of the state of Bertuzzi's personal finances.

arsmaster*

I still think it's a joke he's going after the Orca Bay. I won't pretend to be in the know on details, because I'm not that interested in this case.

But why does Orca Bay have to defend themselves here and not the NHL and NHLPA?

Wetcoaster

I still think it's a joke he's going after the Orca Bay. I won't pretend to be in the know on details, because I'm not that interested in this case.

But why does Orca Bay have to defend themselves here and not the NHL and NHLPA?
Why would the NHL or NHLPA be liable for Bertuzzi's criminal action?

No joke.

There are two separate legal bases under which the Canucks could be found liable which in the past has been applied to pro sports teams in other sports - the NBA and NFL:

1. Vicarious liability
2, Negligent supervision

Under the law employers are liable in various situations for the wrongful acts of their employees (vicarious liability) and may be guilty of wrongdoing themselves if they failed to defuse a situation or handle players properly (negligent supervision).

By operation of law an employer can be held vicariously liable for the actions of its employees if damage or injury results from the actions of the employee.

If the evidence is that the Canucks and/or Orca Bay did create or materially enhance the risk of Bertuzzi's’s intentionally tortious behaviour, they could be found vicariously liable for Bertuzzi's actions. According to recent Supreme Court of Canada law on this issue if there is evidence that the employer created or enhanced the risk of an employee’s tortious conduct by creating an atmosphere of friction or confrontation, then that is sufficient to fix vicarious liability. It used to be that vicarious liablity only applied to negligent acts but now it can include intentional torts such as battery.

Also see: Steven I. Rubin, “The Vicarious Liability of Professional Sports Teams for On-the-Field Assaults Committed by Their Players†(1999) 1 Va. J. Sports & L. 266 at 280.

In other commonwealth jurisdictions there are similar findings. A case arose as
a result of injuries sustained in the course of a professional rugby match in
New South Wales, Australia. In holding a professional rugby club liable for
the deliberate tortious conduct (an illegal tackle) of one of its players, the
appellate court stated that:

Rugby league is a professional game: it may be inferred that the club benefits from the success of its players; that the players are paid for what they do; and that they are apt to be paid more if they are successful in doing it. Therefore there is, to put the matter no higher, a temptation to do what will win games and ensure that the player appears of use to the club in achieving its purposes. In the circumstances of this case there was, I believe, a clear risk that a player who was "revved up" might yield to the temptation to "stop" [the plaintiff] by whatever means could be employed. These things are, on one view, obvious. But it is proper that, having regard to the way in which the case has been conducted, they be spelled out. And they are, in my opinion, relevant in determining the responsibility of the Club. The court may take a degree of notice of the role which "motivation" or the like may play in achieving success in sporting and other areas of activity. It may be that, in professionalised sport, winning, and not playing, is the object. But motivating to win carries with it consequences. The risk that motivation will, in some, lead to illegitimate means of winning is, I believe, plain. There is a line between what is permitted and what is not. If an employer encourages action close to the line he may, in such circumstances, have to bear the consequences of action over the line. These matters are not conclusive. But, in my opinion, they are relevant in determining, inter alia, whether what was done was within the scope of the employment.​

Negligent supervision is a little different as Moore is saying that the Canucks and Orca Bay committed a separate civil wrong (a tort).

The theory of negligent supervision is well suited to professional hockey as the theory is based on a straightforward causal connection between employer fault (i.e. negligence in supervising an employee) and an employee’s tort, a defendant cannot raise the defence that the employee was acting outside the scope of employment (as may occur with a claim based on vicarious liability).

A claim grounded on negligent supervision also provides Moore with the possibility of claiming punitive (i.e punishment) damages, something that is not available in a claim based on vicarious liability. Under Canadian law damages (a court award of money) for what are referred to as "pain and suffering" damages for the injuries and discomfort cause are currently limited to about $320,000 as a result of a series of Supreme Court of Canada court decisions. There is no limit to the amount of punitive damages that may be awarded to a plaintiff.

It is a rare act that would negate voluntary assumption of risk which is why there have been so few actions related to professional sport. There have been successful actions such as in the NBA which also involved a sucker punch. Rudy Tomjanovich, playing for the Houston Rockets of the NBA, was punched in the face by Kermit Washington of the Los Angeles Lakers as Tomjanovich attempted to break up a fight between Washington and a fellow Rockets player. The blow fractured Tomjanovich’s face and skull, crushed his jaw, broke his nose and caused a cerebral concussion which resulted in a loss of blood and leakage of spinal fluid from Tomjanovich’s brain cavity. Tomjanovich brought suit against Washington and the Lakers alleging both vicarious liability and negligent supervision. The jury rendered its verdict in favour of Tomjanovich, finding the Lakers liable for the injuries caused as a result of Washington’s battery. Tomjanovich was awarded approximately $3.25 million, including $1.5 million allocated as punitive damages. This occurred in 1978 and Tomjanovich's career continued.

In the NFL the leading case is Hackbart vs. Cincinnati Bengals, Inc. which arose out of a National Football League game between the Cincinnati Bengals and the Denver Broncos in which the plaintiff, Dale Hackbart, a defensive player for Denver, was severely injured after a Cincinnati pass was intercepted near the goal line. Hackbart attempted to block the defendant, Booby Clark, an offensive player for Cincinnati, and fell to the ground. Clark, “[a]cting out of anger and frustration, but without a specific intent to injure,…stepped forward and struck a blow with his right forearm to the back of the kneeling plaintiff’s head with sufficient force to cause both players to fall forward to the ground.†Hackbart sustained a severe neck injury and was subsequently released by the Broncos. He sought recovery claiming, inter alia, reckless misconduct and, alternatively, negligence. The Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals held that Hackbart’s claim was actionable and should not have been dismissed merely because the injury had occurred during a professional sporting event. The court stressed that “there are no principles of law which allow a court to rule out certain tortious conduct by reason of general roughness of the game or difficulty of administering it.†The case subsequently settled.

As far as club liability on the part of the Canucks, Moore has compelling evidence on his side given the large fine levied against the Canucks. The NHL decision to fine the Canucks $250,000 would be evidence of negligent supervision (and/or vicarious liability - in fact Campbell's language in imposing the fine pretty much tracks the legal requirements to ground such a finding. There is strong external evidence for this claim of negligent supervision and/or vicarious liability on the part of the Canucks and its employees as the NHL imposed a significant fine on the team. In his decision suspending Bertuzzi and fining the Canucks, Colin Campbell noted the team had been warned and that it failed to properly supervise or control its players:

"In light of numerous player comments about Mr. Moore following the Vancouver-Colorado game of February 16, we believe the Vancouver organization ultimately bears some responsibility for monitoring and, to the extent necessary, attempting to moderate the focus of its team," said Campbell. "While the League provided appropriate advance warnings to both organizations... we believe that more could have and should have been done."​

You also have the prior evidence of Bertuzzi in which he swears Crawford directed him to make Moore “pay the price†as set out in the Munson article I have linked.

A finding of vicarious liability for the Canucks would seem to be a strong possibility in light of recent Supreme Court of Canada decisions that have brought vicarious liability under intentional torts such as battery where in the past it only applied to negligent conduct.

The additional bonus for Moore in proving a separate tort for negligent supervision by the club is the addition of another claim for punitive damages (beyond that of Bertuzzi's battery itself) that is not available in a claim based on vicarious liability.

The "paying the price" comments by Crawford, bounty comments by May and Burke's comments and in particular the NHL fining the Canucks would all be evidence to support the claims of vicarious liability and/or negligent supervision.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Ok so how do you think this is all going to play out? I feel like the Canucks are going to end up paying especially considering the past cases you presented from other sports.

But how much?

Is Moore really going to be able to prove he was going to have a non-marginal career?

He seems determined to bring it to trial - is that good or bad for his case?

$38 million seems excessive to me. In the millions sure, but I don't think I would give him in the tens of millions.

Wetcoaster

Ok so how do you think this is all going to play out? I feel like the Canucks are going to end up paying especially considering the past cases you presented from other sports.

But how much?

Is Moore really going to be able to prove he was going to have a non-marginal career?

He seems determined to bring it to trial - is that good or bad for his case?

$38 million seems excessive to me. In the millions sure, but I don't think I would give him in the tens of millions.
Many of these cases settle on the courthouse steps so who knows if there will in fact be a trial. The kicker here is that former owner John McCaw retains a veto over any settlement.

It does not matter the dollar value claimed although $38 million makes a great headline. The quantum of damages will be awarded by the 6 person civil jury.

Damages will be determined by a battle of the experts both actuarial and medical and possibly hockey experts holding forth on his potential NHL career.

The claim is for loss of past income and loss of future income earning capacity. It goes beyond his NHL salary and impinge on his ability to do other work also.

It would not only encompass his hockey playing years (direct loss of income) but if the brain damage is sufficient it could have a substantial effect on his post-hockey earning capacity as well as consideration for loss of pension, loss of opportunity, etc. Plus damages would include the cost of past and future medical and other care.

Moore has to prove on the balance of probabilities (i.e. greater than 50%) that his ability to earn income in the future (whether in the NHL or even in some other career) has been impaired as a result of the injuries. It is a mater of percentages and probabilities.

It is not an exact science or as the Supreme Court of Canada noted in a series of three famous cases (known as the Trilogy)in 1978 that it requires the judge to gaze more deeply into the crystal ball.

Here is how a former Chief Justice Brian Dickson of the Supreme Court of Canada, described the process in a lecture in 1988:
Loss of Earnings

Determining prospective loss of earnings calls for the judge to "gaze more deeply into the crystal ball".

The basic approach is to treat loss of earning capacity as a capital asset which has been lost and which must be valued. Evidence must be called on the career prospects of the plaintiff before and after the incident giving rise to the claim. What would have been the level of earnings? For how long would the plaintiff have worked?

In two of the cases, there was some employment history upon which to base this calculation. In the third, involving a child aged four and a half at the time of the accident, projecting lost earnings was particularly difficult. We settled on an amount half-way between the "poverty line" and the actual present income of the child's parent.

Once again, the calculation cannot be on the basis simply of multiplying years times projected income. Contingencies such as unemployment, illness, accident and business depression are all taken into account, although we stressed the need for actuarial evidence to minimize some of the raw guess-work.

As we are required to make a lump sum award, pecuniary losses have to be capitalized. In order to derive an appropriate sum, a self-diminishing fund which will produce the required monthly income over the period of the plaintiff's expected life, the judge has to predict both a likely rate of return, and the impact of future inflation. After considering evidence on both points, the judge determines an appropriate "discount" or "capitalization" rate. On the basis of the evidence available to us in 1978 in the "trilogy", we concluded that a seven percent capitalization rate was appropriate. In some jurisdictions, the "discount rate" has been determined by legislation so that evidence on the point is not required.​

This is an exercise the civil courts perform every day.

Then there are could be additional damages such as loss of amenities, punitive (punishment) damages given this was the intentional tort of battery. Punitive damages are imposed only if there has been high-handed, malicious, arbitrary or highly reprehensible misconduct that departs to a marked degree from ordinary standards of decent behaviour. Where they are awarded, punitive damages should be assessed in an amount reasonably proportionate to such factors as the harm caused such as the degree of misconduct. This could well be a case for the jury to award punitive damages and theoretically there are no limits.

The Supreme Court of Canada said this about punitive damages in Hill v. Church of Scientology:
Punitive damages may be awarded in situations where the defendant's misconduct is so malicious, oppressive and high-handed that it offends the court's sense of decency. Punitive damages bear no relation to what the plaintiff should receive by way of compensation. Their aim is not to compensate the plaintiff, but rather to punish the defendant. ...They are in the nature of a fine which is meant to act as a deterrent to the defendant and to others from acting in this manner. It is important to emphasize that punitive damages should only be awarded in those circumstances where the combined award of general and aggravated damages would be insufficient to achieve the goal of punishment and deterrence.​

Recent studies of athletes who have suffered concussions and severe PCS have indicated increased chances of depression and suicide which I will assume will be part of Moore's damage claim given the reported continuing severe PCS.

Our legal system places a cap on what are referred to as pain and suffering damages. Pain and suffering are an entirely different classification of damages (non- pecuniary or "non-pecs") unlike loss of income which are pecuniary in nature. In Canada since the 1978 Trilogy cases in the Supreme Court of Canada, pain and suffering damages are capped at $100,000 in 1978 dollars (approximately $350,000 today).

Moore has included a claim for punitive and aggravated damages along with a claim for negligent supervision as well as his claim for damages for assault, battery, medical costs and loss of income (past income and loss of future earning capacity) etc.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Watching those Sportscentre pieces on the whole situation reminded me what a pathetic, dirty, gutless torpedo launch Moore took at Naslund, who btw was never the same after that.

What Bertuzzi did was SO wrong and beyond the ''code'' level of retaliation but Moore acts like he didn't deserve anything, what he did was nothing and just fine. It was one of the most disgusting hits Ive ever seen to this day.

Wetcoaster

Watching those Sportscentre pieces on the whole situation reminded me what a pathetic, dirty, gutless torpedo launch Moore took at Naslund, who btw was never the same after that.

What Bertuzzi did was SO wrong and beyond the ''code'' level of retaliation but Moore acts like he didn't deserve anything, what he did was nothing and just fine. It was one of the most disgusting hits Ive ever seen to this day.
Naslund put himself in a vulnerable position and Moore made a legal check. Injures are part of the game.

Burke and Crawford proceeded to throw gasoline on the fire and the Canucks players responded.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Naslund put himself in a vulnerable position and Moore made a legal check. Injures are part of the game.

Burke and Crawford proceeded to throw gasoline on the fire and the Canucks players responded.
I personally don't believe that to be a legal check while the NHL etc though otherwise. But I'm biased obviously.

Regardless though, I think it's fair to say that Moore didn't deserve any of that. If anything Matt Cooke probably deserved a punch from Bertuzzi for being the one that fought Moore to square things up. That was a sad display of fighting by Cooke

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Naslund didn't have the puck Steve Moore played the puck pushed it away and launched himself in the opposite direction right into the head of Naslund. He leaves his feet. Naslund didn't have the puck he was reaching for it that's not possession. Incredibly cheap play.

If that hit happens today it's 10 games. Especially if it's some 4th line scrub hitting a league scoring leader. And nobody would get away with hitting a star player like that without some form of revenge. If it happens tomorrow in any game the fan base of the hurt star will be out for blood.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
If the Canucks are responsible for payment does this reduce hockey related revenue or is it separate? Not that it really matters.

It would be nice if billionaire McCaw would step up to the plate and make this right. Someone said "people are happiest when giving back to people." Perhaps I am naive?

It's clear Moore is entitled to loss of earnings etc. as Wetcoaster outlined above.

Perhaps the Canucks could give Moore a job for life? It's not the same as a hockey player but it would still be something in the NHL. I'm just spit balling ideas on how to make this bad situation compensate for what has been lost.

Wetcoaster

Naslund didn't have the puck Steve Moore played the puck pushed it away and launched himself in the opposite direction right into the head of Naslund. He leaves his feet. Naslund didn't have the puck he was reaching for it that's not possession. Incredibly cheap play.

If that hit happens today it's 10 games. Especially if it's some 4th line scrub hitting a league scoring leader. And nobody would get away with hitting a star player like that without some form of revenge. If it happens tomorrow in any game the fan base of the hurt star will be out for blood.
Launched??? Not in any video I have seen.

As far as possession, as one long time former NHL referee noted at the time the player to last touch the puck is deemed to be in possession and can be hit OR DELIVER A HIT legally as long as it is timely.

Under the rules in place at the time the hit was legal - you were allowed to deliver a blow to the head if the check was otherwise legal. Brian Bukre was adamantly opposed to a check to the head rule in June 2009.

“I don’t care if people agree with what I say,” Burke said. “I’m telling you there’s 30 G.M.’s in that room, and there’s no appetite for an automatic penalty. Hitting is a critical part of our game. It’s distinctive to North American hockey. If you put in an automatic penalty, it’s going to result in some horrendous calls for clean checks.”

“At some point, a player has a responsibility for keeping his head up, too,” said Burke. “There’s only two sports where there’s no safe haven, where you can step out of bounds and be safe. That’s mixed martial arts and hockey. There’s a reason for that. It’s supposed to be a tough physical game, and part of that is you’ve got to protect yourself. You have to avoid putting yourself in vulnerable positions.

“In the leagues where they’ve put in an automatic penalty, I think it’s dramatically reduced hitting. We have no desire to reduce the amount of contact that takes place on our ice surface.”​

Of course as usual Burkie failed to see the irony.

As Colin Campbell said as he handed over the reins as league disciplinarian in 2011:

"Last year for the first time in the history of the game we said a legal hit, which was a legal hit in the past, shoulder to the head, is not legal in certain areas or circumstances. That was the blindside hit after the Savard Cooke and Booth Richards' hit.

"We went to another area this year. And no matter how well we defined it, how well we spelled it out, every time there was a hit, whether it was your group or an extension of your group or whoever, players, coaches, everyone: 'This is a head hit; a 'head shot' you would call it, whether it was a legal shoulder making contact with the head.​

Not a charge, not an elbow and not interference - no penalty.

And even if it was a penalty did not give Bertuzzi license to criminally assault Steve Moore.

Wetcoaster

If the Canucks are responsible for payment does this reduce hockey related revenue or is it separate? Not that it really matters.

It would be nice if billionaire McCaw would step up to the plate and make this right. Someone said "people are happiest when giving back to people." Perhaps I am naive?

It's clear Moore is entitled to loss of earnings etc. as Wetcoaster outlined above.

Perhaps the Canucks could give Moore a job for life? It's not the same as a hockey player but it would still be something in the NHL. I'm just spit balling ideas on how to make this bad situation compensate for what has been lost.
McCaw is on the hook for half of whatever damages are paid by the Canucks either by settlement or after trial, by agreement with the Aquilinis.

This will have no impact on HRR.

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
Ive never liked head shots. Although head shots were legal back then I felt that was a dirty hit. Similar to Scott Stevens' career.

I'm with you on this and let's face it, Naslund was never near the same after the hit.

Notes from Simmons' column, and consider the source, but it appears Moore isn't looking for money after all, only the truth!

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/03/08/ten-years-later-everybody-has-turned-their-backs-on-steve-moore

For a sport that forever promotes its brotherhood, community, its great charitable people and camaraderie it has been sad to witness how terribly alone Steve Moore has been these past 10 years.

One by one, he has been abandoned, treated as a hockey leper of sorts, when he did nothing but have his career crash to a sudden end amidst the worst of circumstances on March 8, 2004.

The NHL and commissioner Gary Bettman almost immediately turned its back on him. The NHL Players’ Association, of which he was a member, has done nothing to support or protect him. Trevor Linden, president of the NHLPA when he was attacked by Linden’s teammate, Todd Bertuzzi, called him a “marginal player,†which in truth is irrelevant to what had happened to his life. The Colorado Avalanche, his only NHL organization, treats him as though he doesn’t exist. His teammates, over these long and difficult years, have rarely if ever been there for him.

And imagine what it must have felt like years later to learn his captain, Joe Sakic, whom he idolized, vacationed with Bertuzzi some years after his career had been crumpled. Bertuzzi has earned $26 million in NHL wages since the incident: Moore has been paid nothing.

The truth: the great community of hockey we hear so much about never accepted Moore as one of them, should be ashamed of itself now for how it came to abandon one of its own at the worst of times.

All of this should come out in court in September, assuming Moore’s case against Bertuzzi and the former owners of the Vancouver Canucks gets to court. Moore says he isn’t looking money. What’s he’s looking for is the truth — and the opportunity to move on with his life, both mentally and physically.

Yammer

Oct 22, 2002
Republic of East Van
For what it's worth, hockey has always turned its back on players who are not on the active roster. That's what I get, at least, from reading George Plimpton's account of speaking with Don Cherry (for Open Net). Cherry said that hockey was the only sport in the world that treats you like a leper when you're gone (apart from the Canadiens).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad