Second impressions of Marty St. Louis (Mod warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Please continue the discussion about Marty St. Louis here, but please be advised...

• this is a tense topic for a lot of people
  • flaming and sarcasm that is directed at other users won't be tolerated
  • off-topic or spam posts won't be tolerated
  • thread bans and infractions are in play for anyone who can't resist the urge to derail the topic

Previous thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1617591

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
We do realize that 6.25% is not 6.25% better than 0%, right? It is, in fact, infinitely better.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
No excuses. He needs to be better.

He's sucked. I love MSL. I loved him in Tampa. I like when smaller players do well in this league.

That being said, he's been awful. I need to talk to some Tampa fans that watched him regularly. Is it actually possible that Palat and Johnson were carrying him? I've seen that suggested. There's no doubt that he racked up some easy assists by just making the easy pass to Stamkos in the left circle on the PP. He reminds me (unfortunately) of Richards right now. You see flashes of skill and elite awareness but it's just not there consistently enough to be a positive impact.

*Bob Richards*

I have a strong belief that he's going to be money in the playoffs (assuming we make it, of course :P) but as of now, this kinda sucks.

ThisYearsModel

Mar 4, 2004
Reminds me of Bob Barker's opinion of Happy Gilmore. "This guy sucks!"

And Bob Barker did not give up 2 prime draft picks to get Happy.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
What exactly makes people so confident he's going to pick it up in the playoffs? He's done nothing encouraging. Looks terrible with Richards. Looks terrible with Nash. Looks terrible with Brassard and Zuccarello. Who's he able to play with? He's also 39, 5'8, and brings nothing to the table besides taking penalties and turning the puck over.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
No one will care, when he storms the post season at a PT/GM clip, and carries the Rangers to the Conference Finals, where we will be eliminated in six... by... Boston?

He hasn't produced, but he is way, way, WAY too talented to not turn it around.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
He did have some games where he was invisible in TB too. But it was usually a 2-4 game stretch, maybe 5 or 6 at most. And truth be told, playing with kids who have lively legs certainly did help him here. He hasn't displayed his top speed more than 10-20 seconds in a single game since about 2011. He's also that much older now. Hated the guy for forcing his way out but certainly didn't see him falling this far so fast.

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
What exactly makes people so confident he's going to pick it up in the playoffs? He's done nothing encouraging. Looks terrible with Richards. Looks terrible with Nash. Looks terrible with Brassard and Zuccarello. Who's he able to play with? He's also 39, 5'8, and brings nothing to the table besides taking penalties and turning the puck over.

What does his height have to do with anything? Was he taller when he was PPG for a decade in Tampa? Was he 10 years younger last season?

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
Martin St. Louis. 13 games 3 points.
Ryan Callahan 11 games 8 points

Say no more.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
I have faith, adjusting and being comfortable is tough when you're frustrated. You can see the frustration surrounding him. Even after he didn't score that goal you saw it weighing on him. He'll come around.

tommyjoh

Dec 20, 2013
I wanna turn my $5 million into $10 million and my 40 goals into 20 goals, where should I go?

Manhattan, offcourse ;)

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
I have given up on St Louis ever becoming a force for the Rangers. This is simply the end of the line.

Vickers8

Martin St. Louis. 13 games 3 points.
Ryan Callahan 11 games 8 points

Say no more.

5 goals, to 13 gutter balls...root for small players but the Flyers steam rollered him about 5 times the other night and if we play the B's or Flyers in the playoffs he will be a prime target to be crushed

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
He's still too skilled to suck long term. He's Marty freekin St Louis for crying out loud.

I still do the same deal again no problem maybe with 1 less high pick but bottom like msl is way more player than cally.

He's a vet scorer. Those guys are money in the playoffs. When he's wins us games when it really counts this thread will be silly.

Right now he's snake bit. It happens. He'll get one and then he will earn his checks in the playoffs.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Marcel Dionne Part Deux ! ;)

I really hope not, that'd be, well, expected.

Dionne played well here and only cost an underachieving Carpenter.

Also, Dionne cried when he was traded from LA. he didnt force a trade. He led the best PP in NHL history his one full season here.

MSL is more like Carpenter. Traded for fan favorites and complete bust.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Adjustment period? He DEMANDED to be traded. Another one of Sather's "new toys". What is Slats thinking right now? He had to have MSL. He bid against himself. The old man has zero idea on how to build a team. 14 years of this ****. He traded away every pick. The media is afraid to question him. Sather said MSL brings us closer. To what? Brooks wrote Dolan loves Sather because of the McD trade. Sather didn't know anything about the player. Renaud Lavoie reported Gorton insisted the Rangers acquire Ryan in the Gomez trade. The Rangers are doomed with grandpa at that helm.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's still too skilled to suck long term. He's Marty freekin St Louis for crying out loud.

I still do the same deal again no problem maybe with 1 less high pick but bottom like msl is way more player than cally.

He's a vet scorer. Those guys are money in the playoffs. When he's wins us games when it really counts this thread will be silly.

Right now he's snake bit. It happens. He'll get one and then he will earn his checks in the playoffs.

That's what makes this whole thing mind-boggling. St Louis is suppose to be putting up more points than Callahan. Cally is a two way forward that brings a team offense and defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad