Second Animal vs Animal finals in the row

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
I partially want to be that sarcastic GOAT thread guy, but how about this?

Predators are not necessarily animals. Plants can be predators - most famous example being the venus fly trap. Also sundews, pitcher plants, butterworts etc.

;)

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I partially want to be that sarcastic GOAT thread guy, but how about this?

Predators are not necessarily animals. Plants can be predators - most famous example being the venus fly trap. Also sundews, pitcher plants, butterworts etc.

;)

Humans can be predators as well lol. But the Preds specific logo is a Sabre tooth tiger.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I mean, what teams have mascots that specifically aren't members of the kingdom Animalia? Just running through it (organized by divisions), for fun, here's what I think (non-animal teams are in italics, just because):

Pacific Division
Anaheim Ducks - ducks are animals.
Edmonton Oilers - "oilers" is probably a reference to oil workers, who are humans, therefore anomals.
San Jose Sharks - sharks are animals.
Calgary Flames - a flame is a product of combustion, and not an animal.
Los Angeles Kings - the concept of "king" is generally restricted to animal species (but not exclusively)
Arizona Coyotes - coyotes are animals.
Vancouver Canucks - "canuck" is a usually a slang term for a Canadian. Gonna call them animals here. :P

Central Division
Chicago Blackhawks - "blackhawk" refers to a group of humans, i.e. animals.
Minnesota Wild - this means barely anything so let's exclude it.
St. Louis Blues - same thing as "Minnesota Wild." It's a... concept, I guess?
Nashville Predators - most predators are animals, I suppose.
Winnipeg Jets - "jets" by our modern definition are machines.
Dallas Stars - stars are absolutely NOT animals.
Colorado Avalanche - snow falling uncontrollably is not an animal.

Atlantic Division
Montreal Canadiens - refers to a group of humans, i.e. animals.
Ottawa Senators - another group of humans, i.e. animals.
Boston Bruins - bears are animals.
Toronto Maple Leafs - plants are not animals.
Tampa Bay Lightning - animals are not weather or electrical discharge.
Florida Panthers - panthers are animals.
Detroit Red Wings - I don't even know what they mean by this so I'm going to say "not animals" because it seems okay.
Buffalo Sabres - swords are not animals. Sorry swords.

Metropolitan Division
Washington Capitals - what is this even? Not an animal, at least.
Pittsburgh Penguins - penguins are animals.
Columbus Blue Jackets - refers to a group of humans, i.e. animals.
New York Rangers - group of humans, i.e. animals.
New York Islanders - another group of humans (most likely), i.e. animals.
Philadelphia Flyers - er... probably humans? i.e. animals. Let's go with that.
Carolina Hurricanes - similar to the Lightning, weather phenomena are not animals.
New Jersey Devils - I'd call my boss a "devil" but this word is not generally used for an accurate description of anything "animal" so let's go with not an animal.

With the addition of the Golden Knights, which I'd argue refers to humans (and therefore animals), the NHL has 13 teams with non-animal names unless I miscounted, therefore a lot of finals are going to be animal vs. animal.

:sarcasm:

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I mean, what teams have mascots that specifically aren't members of the kingdom Animalia? Just running through it (organized by divisions), for fun, here's what I think (non-animal teams are in italics, just because):

Pacific Division
Edmonton Oilers - "oilers" is probably a reference to oil workers, who are humans, therefore anomals.
Los Angeles Kings - the concept of "king" is generally restricted to animal species (but not exclusively)
Vancouver Canucks - "canuck" is a usually a slang term for a Canadian. Gonna call them animals here. :P

Central Division

Atlantic Division
Detroit Red Wings - I don't even know what they mean by this so I'm going to say "not animals" because it seems okay.

Metropolitan Division
Carolina Hurricanes - similar to the Lightning, weather phenomena are not animals.
New Jersey Devils - I'd call my boss a "devil" but this word is not generally used for an accurate description of anything "animal" so let's go with not an animal.

With the addition of the Golden Knights, which I'd argue refers to humans (and therefore animals), the NHL has 13 teams with non-animal names unless I miscounted, therefore a lot of finals are going to be animal vs. animal.

citizen_kane.gif

MrSnrub

May 23, 2010
Some place far away

Pacific Division

Central Division

Atlantic Division

Metropolitan Division

Toronto Maple Leafs are named after a group of people. Not plants.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I refuse to accept human-specific groups as animals in the context. Humans may well be animals but until there are Hamilton Humans playing hokky it's safer bet to leave the exclusively human groups outside if no animal can be interchangeable with the human for the specialized profession or similar group.

Animals have no citizenship so that excludes Canucks. Also, Canadiens.

Military rangers may have a special ranger dog, but as there are no ranger wombats or equivalent, we can't count it in.

Some animals are specific to a particular island, so I'm open for further discussion on the Islanders.

Woodchat shrike, Lanius senator, leaves Senators in peculiar position.

If there was Warriors, with there being warrior ants and warrior bees we could maybe let it go.

Maliks PlusMinus

May 28, 2015
Glasgow, Scotland

Pacific Division

Central Division

Atlantic Division

Metropolitan Division

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Regarding the New Jersey Devils, devils (Tasmanian) are certainly an animal.

What I'm really looking forward to is clash of the geomorphologic titans vs atmospheric phenomenon. Avalanche vs Hurricane, who would win?

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
One could make a strong argument for the Leafs and Wings being listed under the "Humans are animals" banner.

Maple Leafs are a specific military division. Referring to the men who served in that group.

Red Wings are called so because of the "Winged Wheelers" bicycle club. So the individual member is a "Red Wing", human/animal.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Regarding the New Jersey Devils, devils (Tasmanian) are certainly an animal.

Unless the animal has a red satan tail protruding from its tass, we can't count it.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
What I'm really looking forward to is clash of the geomorphologic titans vs atmospheric phenomenon. Avalanche vs Hurricane, who would win?

So were we at the Canes board, but then wanted to forget it quickly.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
The New Jersey Devils are named after the Jersey Devil, a beast of legend.

Per Wikipedia:

According to popular folklore, the Jersey Devil originated with a Pine Barrens resident known as Mother Leeds. The legend states that Mother Leeds had 12 children and, after finding she was pregnant for the 13th time, cursed the child in frustration, crying that the child would be the Devil. During 1735, Mother Leeds was in labor on a stormy night while her friends gathered around her. Born as a normal child, the 13th child changed to a creature with hooves, a goat's head, bat wings, and a forked tail. Growling and screaming, it killed the midwife before flying up the chimney and heading into the pines. In some versions of the tale, Mother Leeds was supposedly a witch and the child's father was the Devil himself. Some versions of the legend also state that there was subsequently an attempt by local clergymen to exorcise the creature from the Pine Barrens, or that the creature proceeded to kill local children.

So, yeah. Animal of some sort.

Stone Valley

A State of Trance
Jan 19, 2010
Ottawa
www.youtube.com

Pacific Division

Central Division

Atlantic Division

Metropolitan Division

buffalo usually has a buffalo on thier logo thoguh, i never pictured them as being swords, always animals hahah i guess they are the only one that go after their city name rather than the team name

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017

Per Wikipedia:

According to popular folklore, the Jersey Devil originated with a Pine Barrens resident known as Mother Leeds. The legend states that Mother Leeds had 12 children and, after finding she was pregnant for the 13th time, cursed the child in frustration, crying that the child would be the Devil. During 1735, Mother Leeds was in labor on a stormy night while her friends gathered around her. Born as a normal child, the 13th child changed to a creature with hooves, a goat's head, bat wings, and a forked tail. Growling and screaming, it killed the midwife before flying up the chimney and heading into the pines. In some versions of the tale, Mother Leeds was supposedly a witch and the child's father was the Devil himself. Some versions of the legend also state that there was subsequently an attempt by local clergymen to exorcise the creature from the Pine Barrens, or that the creature proceeded to kill local children.

Well this is not going to be made into a Disney movie.

Rinkrat

Feb 11, 2007
Strictly speaking, Ducks and Penguins are birds and Sharks are fish. Not animals.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006

Per Wikipedia:

lol wtf. I can't help but think in today's PC era that wouldn't fly. ...

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Wild vs Blues could be the first adjective based playoff

Does anyone else think the NHL just didn't get pg2 of the Minnesota fax that had "cats", boars, or horses on it or something? What an incomplete name. We are the wild. Wild what? Wild is not a noun, nor a legitimate team name.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Wild vs Blues could be the first adjective based playoff

Does anyone else think the NHL just didn't get pg2 of the Minnesota fax that had "cats", boars, or horses on it or something? What an incomplete name. We are the wild. Wild what? Wild is not a noun, nor a legitimate team name.

Both of those things are nouns. Wild is a bit different than most as it's a collective noun more than a single thing, but it is a noun. I can live in the city, I can live in the suburbs, I can live in the country, or I can live in the wild. All nouns.

The Blues I'm not sure what to say, it's just a plain old noun.

Again, I am a disappointed middle school teacher :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3