Prospect Info: Sebastian Collberg - (Part III: The Collberg Report)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
Why didn't Collberg play in the AHL this year ? He played a couple of games with the Bulldogs at the end of last year. Bergevin was probably trying to entice him to stay. Maybe Nygren would have stayed too if he was rooming with Collberg in the terrible and of course ultra dangerous Canadian ghetto of Hamilton :laugh:.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
Yeah, Aberg even had a better year in the SEL in his draft year, but was injured for the WJC I think. He was playing on a worse team and getting more ice time ala Lehkonen though. Playing on a strong(ish) team like Frolunda very probably was detrimental to Collberg's development up until now. He hasn't gotten enough playing time and has probably played scared to make an error while he never had to face that in his career before hitting the pros.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I'm sure I was told...."but...but...but...he's getting the coach that loves him now...he'll surely play more....". To which I answered, "No chance, coach still has to win and still has to play the vets". No matter who was going to be the coach, he was going to have the same faith.

I hope he comes in now. And that's a job for this management to do. Not having him in the AHL would be incredibly stupid.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
I'm sure I was told...."but...but...but...he's getting the coach that loves him now...he'll surely play more....". To which I answered, "No chance, coach still has to win and still has to play the vets". No matter who was going to be the coach, he was going to have the same faith.

I hope he comes in now. And that's a job for this management to do. Not having him in the AHL would be incredibly stupid.

And that's where Lefebvre's "I'm here to develop prospects, not win games" mentality in Hamilton should help. Although, it may be just an excuse for him not being able to win even if he tries his darnedest to do so.

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
This coach plays whoever deserves it more, and Collberg has been outplayed by several other youngsters (and the other two RH RW, Figren/Kahnberg). The last coach would play vets even if they sucked.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
This coach plays whoever deserves it more, and Collberg has been outplayed by several other youngsters (and the other two RH RW, Figren/Kahnberg). The last coach would play vets even if they sucked.

The idea was that people were saying that since Collberg would have his coach, that everything would be better. I didn't think so. It wasn't. Collberg has to be in the AHL right now.

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
The idea was that people were saying that since Collberg would have his coach, that everything would be better. I didn't think so. It wasn't. Collberg has to be in the AHL right now.

Well he isnt getting ice time for a reason... its too easy to blame the coach now its 2 in a row, and the latest one was one who played Collberg a lot in the WJC... so its looking like Collberg as somewhere a big hole in his game.. whenever if under his own power to change that or not... maybe if he gets in the AHL he would be eaten alive? Collbetg needs to find a solution asap. Or he will miss the show.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Well he isnt getting ice time for a reason... its too easy to blame the coach now its 2 in a row, and the latest one was one who played Collberg a lot in the WJC... so its looking like Collberg as somewhere a big hole in his game.. whenever if under his own power to change that or not... maybe if he gets in the AHL he would be eaten alive? Collbetg needs to find a solution asap. Or he will miss the show.

He,s clearly a guy who should have come play Juniors here. Instead, he's losing all his confidence in the SHL. So what we need to do now, is to bring him with Hamilton and see with our own eyes, on smaller ice surface, what he can do. I mean, at one point, you need to have an opinion on prospects. And if you need to add him as a piece in a trade at one point....well might as well know more by seeing play within the type of league he will be playing in if he ever reaches the NHL.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
He,s clearly a guy who should have come play Juniors here. Instead, he's losing all his confidence in the SHL. So what we need to do now, is to bring him with Hamilton and see with our own eyes, on smaller ice surface, what he can do. I mean, at one point, you need to have an opinion on prospects. And if you need to add him as a piece in a trade at one point....well might as well know more by seeing play within the type of league he will be playing in if he ever reaches the NHL.

I kept saying this last year when he started the season struggling. When he got demoted to the lesser SHL team, he should have came here and played JR and everyone said, no he is too good.

I said this exact same thing happened with Avtsin. He had a **** tonne of offensive talent but he was put in the KHL at 18 and it killed his development. Coming here at 20 for Avtsin was already too late for him after being stymied for a couple of years.

The AHL is widely considered the 3rd best pro league in the world. To think that Collberg is going to come to better a better league and succeed are viewing the word with rose colored glasses instead of reality. The AHL is no cakewalk.

I'd almost rather see him in the ECHL for a couple months next year to let him adapt to the NA game at a level where he can gain some confidence. Then as he adapts and has some confidence, give him some stints in the AHL to see what he can do.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

His only option is AHL next year, though. No CHL team is going to draft an import that takes an overage spot and a foreign spot, right?

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
I kept saying this last year when he started the season struggling. When he got demoted to the lesser SHL team, he should have came here and played JR and everyone said, no he is too good.

I said this exact same thing happened with Avtsin. He had a **** tonne of offensive talent but he was put in the KHL at 18 and it killed his development. Coming here at 20 for Avtsin was already too late for him after being stymied for a couple of years.

The AHL is widely considered the 3rd best pro league in the world. To think that Collberg is going to come to better a better league and succeed are viewing the word with rose colored glasses instead of reality. The AHL is no cakewalk.

I'd almost rather see him in the ECHL for a couple months next year to let him adapt to the NA game at a level where he can gain some confidence. Then as he adapts and has some confidence, give him some stints in the AHL to see what he can do.

I'm ****ing tired to hear that Ahl 3rd best league in the world crap. Ahl stars go to Europe for a reason, better leagues and better cities. Look at the Olympics where do you think all the Europeen players play ? Ahl might be better to prepare for the nhl, but in no way is the talent better. SHL is at least on par with the AHL and most probably better since it's the elite league of the country, not the prep league.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
All I can say about Colberg is that I always ear that he's hurt, not getting ice time, should have played here, there.....etc.

IMO, he's a bust as of now! Hope I'm wrong.

habitue*

All I can say about Colberg is that I always ear that he's hurt, not getting ice time, should have played here, there.....etc.

IMO, he's a bust as of now! Hope I'm wrong.

Let's hope, but this is puzzling. Is it because he is playing against guys older and more expoerienced than him ? Would had been better to play somewhere in the CHL against competition of his age, scoring gaols, getting used to North American ice surfaces and lifestyle.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010

How exactly did you know it wouldn't work out with his old coach? How do you explain that other young prospects are getting more of an opportunity?

He's not the first 19-year-old that has to keep working on his defence, nor is he the first that is getting a lack of ice time at the pro level because of it. Doesn't mean he's not developing..sure didn't look like a scruff at the U-20's.

Not much better places than the SHL to learn how to play an all around game...he wasn't going to learn it better in junior where he'd be given ice time even if he wasn't looking after his defensive responsibilities...no accountability is not what Collberg needed. Much better workout facilities in Frolunda than Saskatoon or Rimouski as well.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
I'm ****ing tired to hear that Ahl 3rd best league in the world crap. Ahl stars go to Europe for a reason, better leagues and better cities. Look at the Olympics where do you think all the Europeen players play ? Ahl might be better to prepare for the nhl, but in no way is the talent better. SHL is at least on par with the AHL and most probably better since it's the elite league of the country, not the prep league.

Players go to Europe largely for the money once they realize they can never make it here. They ain't going there to play more competitive hockey, they go there for the paycheck.

But lets assume that SHL and AHL are on par. If he isn't succeeding over there, why would he all of a sudden succeed here when he has to adjust to a totally different style game, more physical and adjust to a new culture?

Keeping him in the SHL was a mistake, offensive kids need to play offensive roles to develop.

habitue*

Players go to Europe largely for the money once they realize they can never make it here. They ain't going there to play more competitive hockey, they go there for the paycheck.

But lets assume that SHL and AHL are on par. If he isn't succeeding over there, why would he all of a sudden succeed here when he has to adjust to a totally different style game, more physical and adjust to a new culture?

Keeping him in the SHL was a mistake, offensive kids need to play offensive roles to develop.

Right. Look at some European kids in TB and Detroit who have played some time at Junior level in the CHL. The transition to NHL hockey is way better.

David Thicke

May 6, 2011
Montreal, QC
My understanding with Collberg's ELC contract was that his one year extension for the 2013-14 season with Frolunda was to be honoured if he didn't make the Canadiens' NHL roster. Thus he was loaned back to the SHL Frolunda. Collberg wanted to stay in Hamilton but couldn't under his SHL contract extension. It is likely Collberg can't sign an extension with Frolunda now that he is signed to an ELC with the Canadiens so expect him in Hamilton when his SHL season is over and he should stay in N.A next season unless of course he pulls a Nygren.

His development is not stunted in the SHL playing against grown men even if it isn't the big minutes he might have played at the junior level in the CHL. Better facilities in the SHL than the CHL. His defensive game needs to improve and the big ice surface really puts the focus on positioning and taking the right angle to the puck carrier. It will only help him become a more complete player. His offensive skills are more tied to his confidence level and work ethic in practice than actual playing time. His coach wants him to play better without the puck and be harder along the boards in order to get more ice time in Frolunda.

Last edited:

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
His development is not stunted in the SHL playing against grown men even if it isn't the big minutes he might have played at the junior level in the CHL. Better facilities in the SHL than the CHL. His defensive game needs to improve and the big ice surface really puts the focus on positioning and taking the right angle to the puck carrier. It will only help him become a more complete player. His offensive skills are more tied to his confidence level and work ethic in practice than actual playing time. His coach wants him to play better without the puck and be harder along the boards in order to get more ice time in Frolunda.

Can you give any examples of players drafted past the first round that played pro at 18 and they were given bottom 6 roles for 2 years, that went on to succeed as a top 6 player in the NHL?

I'm pretty sure that answer is none.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Can you give any examples of players drafted past the first round that played pro at 18 and they were given bottom 6 roles for 2 years, that went on to succeed as a top 6 player in the NHL?

I'm pretty sure that answer is none.

The first one that came to mind was Ryan O'Riley.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
The first one that came to mind was Ryan O'Riley.

ROR was given ~16.5 min/games of TOI in his first 2 years. He actually had the 3rd most icetime on his team in his first year pro behind Duchene and Stastny. Collberg was receiving goon level icetime in his first two pro years and it hasn't been much better this year from what I've seen. Young players need to play to develop. Collberg hasn't been playing. He's been watching the game from the bench. Practicing with pros his all well and dandy, but it doesn't make up for actual game minutes.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Eh, the more time goes by, the more I feel he's a going to bust. Sure the coaches haven't really helped him. Then again, he doesn't seem to have warranted the increased ice time either...

Either way, he isn't playing top minutes on top lines. That must be hindering his progress. Consequently setting himself to becoming a bust.

Hopefully I'm wrong and he manages to turn it around, somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad