Player Discussion: Sebastian Aho

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
It's not his size for me, it's how he plays. Last night on the Giroux goal he was incapable of doing anything to stop that pass. It's because of his size, but also how he plays defense. He's always trying to wrap guys up and just hang on for dear life, but he's ineffective. His offense is okay, and other times completely non-existent. He's not like Leddy where he's always doing something positive with his feet during some portion of the game. He's solely an offensive zone player and if I'm sacrificing defense for offense, I'd like a bit more offense.
Personally, I think he is best in the transition, rather than in the offensive zone. I suspect one of the reasons Mayfield has looked so much better this year compared to last is that he's spending a lot less time pinned in his own zone. So I do see Aho as providing a benefit defensively, though I do agree his actual coverage leaves something to be desired.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
IMO, Aho is a better skating and skilled but less physical Thomas Hickey. Yes, it's absolutely shocking to me that someone could legitimately be less physical then Thomas Hickey.

• Haha
Reactions: bigtim1988

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
IMO, Aho is a better skating and skilled but less physical Thomas Hickey. Yes, it's absolutely shocking to me that someone could legitimately be less physical then Thomas Hickey.
Are we remembering the same hunk?

[yt]

[yt]

[yt]

Reactions: beach

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

[yt]

[yt]

[yt]

You mistaken me, I'm one of the few who was accepting of Hickey as a player. I was acknowledging that he generally got a bad rap by Islander fans.

If Hickey had Aho's wheels or Aho had Hickey's open ice hitting they would easily have been a top four NHL d-man. As of now they are/were better served for no higher than a number six.

Problem with D-men of Aho and Hickey's frame its that while they CAN possible make some big open ice hits due to timing and leg drive... think a Cornerback laying out a larger Tight End because they are allowed to pick up speed and drive through the tackle.

When not allowed to gain leg drive that small-sized player is most likely going to get overpowered by a larger player. It's simple leverage. Therefore, what you give up in size you have to make up in other areas like skill. <- I can personally vouch that this applies as solid marriage advice too. :sarcasm:

You can use that Kevin (most punchable face in hockey) Hayes overpowering Hickey highlight as an example. Warning Puke-able highlight and play calling to follow...

Last edited:

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

[yt]

By the way that hit on Wilson and the followup crosscheck to the head was NOT clean. But to this day, I have never had a problem with it and even appreciated it more that Hickey took that sh!t to the gutter.

Some players just earned the right of retribution via cheap shots. Wilson has permanent status atop that list and Trouba just entered the conversation these past playoffs.

Reactions: beach

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Growing on me, Aho is.
1669142405743.png

warrior60

Dec 24, 2010
Hockey Town
At least he can skate with the puck that more than you can say for all the other defense men on this team, it’s painful to watch Mayfield skate with it.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
He's not perfect. But one of the few defencemen in team who has a bit of vision and can spring attacks witha pass or by carrying puck.

They need an upgrade on him desperately. He's so bad in every other phase of the game is merely "okay-ish" at what you're describing. Nobody is afraid seeing Aho coming up the ice with the puck.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
He's fine. The coach
Seems like he is having a good season?

He's fine. The coach trusts him. For the others, it's the fan eye test...the real test is seeing how the coach uses him and he's used in important situations such as last minute of the game, defensive draws and has improved a lot since the beginning of the year.

Fans are only used to physical play which is obviously not Aho's strong point, but what they don't see is how he thinks the game and tries to create offence while trying to learn defence. It's not easy when you've been mostly an offensive player your whole career.

There's also massive bias as Aho's mistake are increase 10 fold and when other larger dmen make mistakes, it's not as "complained" about.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
He's fine. The coach

He's fine. The coach trusts him. For the others, it's the fan eye test...the real test is seeing how the coach uses him and he's used in important situations such as last minute of the game, defensive draws and has improved a lot since the beginning of the year.

Fans are only used to physical play which is obviously not Aho's strong point, but what they don't see is how he thinks the game and tries to create offence while trying to learn defence. It's not easy when you've been mostly an offensive player your whole career.

There's also massive bias as Aho's mistake are increase 10 fold and when other larger dmen make mistakes, it's not as "complained" about.

He's brutal defensively. It's not that he's making mistakes, it's that he cannot defend because of his size and strength. He's routinely tackling guys because he can't do anything else. His free hand is always wrapped around the opposition and he's just hoping he can corral them a bit. That's not fine, that's not good.

He's 27 years old, undersized, is learning how to play defense, and legitimately can't play defense in certain situations because he's physically incapable. His offense isn't that great to warrant keeping him around. If he were slightly bigger he'd have a much easier time in his own end and this wouldn't even be a topic of discussion.

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
Our most improved player under Lambert—total night and day difference from under Trotz. Plays with energy all the time. And is the only defenseman on this team playing up to(or above) expectations.

Dobson benefits from playing with Aho as well.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
There was a sequence in the 5-4 win against the Penguins that sums up Aho pretty well.

He was completely overpowered with Brock McGinn driving the net. Sorokin had to make a high danger save, maybe two.

On the ensuing face off, Aho was able to use his speed to just get the puck out of the zone. It might have been an icing… because shortly after on the same shift he had to once again get the puck out.

Both time’s getting the puck out, were good plays by him. But it always felt a bit tenuous that he would actually succeed.

He does enough good (IMO controlled exits) that Lambert trusts him. But he definitely is responsible for giving up at least 1-2 great chances consistently.

Seems like a poor man’s Nick Leddy.

Last edited:

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Our most improved player under Lambert—total night and day difference from under Trotz. Plays with energy all the time. And is the only defenseman on this team playing up to(or above) expectations.

Dobson benefits from playing with Aho as well.
I don’t want to overreact regarding Dobson but I’ll say this. While his offensive skills are a great asset for this team, he hasn’t taken the next leap with this offense and his defensive skills have been lacking. He needs some snarl and would benefit from playing with a left handed version of Mayfield.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad