Seattle IV: The Money Will Roll Right In

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Pretty weird considering The Seattle Times wrote that story, so you'd think they'd be somewhat creditable. If Daly would have spoken on ESPN radio, you would have thought the newspaper would have stated "ESPN Radio", and not "ESPN.com". :dunno:

Do note that the Times has taken an editorial stance against a new arena

NYR89

Jul 29, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
It's interesting to see all the conflicting reports on a team coming to Seattle specifically. Makes me miss being in PA and having access to so many teams. I just want to watch some hockey!! :cry:

Awesome Sauce

Feb 4, 2011
Vancouver Island
Another proud Cascadian checking in here!

Not only will there be lots of Vancouverites making the trek down for games in Seattle, but a ton of us Vancouver Island folk as well. There is the Coho vehicle ferry from Victoria to Port Angeles, as well as the passenger-only Clipper that goes from Downtown Victoria directly to Downtown Seattle. For islanders, a trip to an NHL game in Seattle could very well be a hell of a lot cheaper, more convenient, and more fun than a trip to Vancouver for an NHL game.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I'm down for separating and creating the Country of Cascadia.

... Ditto. In a poll taken some years ago, something like 37% of British Columbians & a whopping 42% of Albertans & people from the Yukon were in favour of succession, hooking up with Alaska, Washington & Oregon, California. I mean Geezus, the natural resources alone, oil & gas, lumber.... Shipping. Trade with the Orient. Silicon Valley. Entertainment industry sewn right up. On & on.

njdevilfan2005

May 6, 2013
Tacoma WA
I suppose one could.....if one was a frequent traveller :)

there is a drivers license that you can get in Washington State that will allow frequent border crossings into Canada without showing a birth certificate or passport. You wouldn't need to have anything else:). We probably should get ours.

Morgoth Bauglir

Master Of The Fates Of Arda
Aug 31, 2012
Angband via Utumno
there is a drivers license that you can get in Washington State that will allow frequent border crossings into Canada without showing a birth certificate or passport. You wouldn't need to have anything else:). We probably should get ours.

.....We have friends in Vancouver afterall :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
It's hard to imagine Kansas City getting the second expansion franchise, it's not a particularly big market by US standards, it has not shown great support for hockey through minor leagues, and it already has the Royals, the Chiefs, and a strong NCAA and Nascar following. There's little room for hockey. Especially since the city claims the arena is making more money without an NHL tenant.

So the frontrunners are Portland, Quebec City and maybe Houston.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA

The enhanced drivers licenses only allow you to travel across the border without a passport. It's not affiliated to the Nexus program. I've had a nexus card for over 10 years now. Was really easy to get and the $50 is well worth it. You wait in a line for an hour once with a screaming kid in the car and you've paid for itself. Unfortunately the delays to get one now are about 4-6 months.

I've lived in Vancouver, Vancouver Island and now Seattle. From the Canadian locales I would go a few times per year to Seattle for Ms or football games . Now I go to Vancouver for Canucks or Lions games and friends & such come down regularly to visit and catch a game.

For folks in Surrey/Delta, it might actually be FASTER to go to Seattle than to Vancouver for a NHL game. Take in that Canucks have the most expensive tickets (>$100) to get in the stadium (highest cost for cheap tickets). I assume Seattle's prices would be in alignment with Dallas & Colorado where $30 tickets are readily available.

And whomever brought up the gas cost concern, as has been mentioned people drive from Vancouver to Washington state just to buy gas since it's cheaper. OR they could take the ferry, amtrak or one of the many intracity bus lines.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The same reason people travel from Southern Ontario to watch the Sabres.Tickets are less expensive and easier to obtain.

Ask the Sabres fans, next to nobody from Canada drives down to Buffalo to watch hockey. There is a waiting list for season tickets from locals.

King_Stannis

Jun 14, 2007
Erie PA, USA
Ask the Sabres fans, next to nobody from Canada drives down to Buffalo to watch hockey. There is a waiting list for season tickets from locals.

I think the team estimated about 10% of their season ticket base was in Ontario. Certainly not a lot, but a little more than "next to nobody".

LouisOlivier

May 1, 2013
Ville de Québec

I actually remember one game this season Habs @ Sabres and I was thinking, is the habs playing at Bell Center? There was a lot of habs fans and they were singing the Olé Olé Olé because Sabres su*** all the entire game

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
http://www.america2050.org/cascadia.html
The vision for Cascadia links Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver, British Columbia with high-speed rail, while protecting the area's unique and pristine environment. Other strategies highlight these cities' shared high-tech competencies, commitment to environmental sustainability, and creative clusters in film, music, and green building.

Location: Along the Pacific Ocean north of California, composed of parts of Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia
Principal Cities: Portland, Seattle, Vancouver
Population 2010 (U.S. Portion): 8,367,519
Percent of U.S. Population: 3%
Population 2025: 8,748,143
Population 2050: 11,864,378
Projected Growth (2010 - 2050): 41.8 percent (3,496,859)
2005 GDP: $337,405,000,000
Percent U.S. GDP: 3%

And intense rivalries between sports teams (Soccer now, NHL in the future?)

MOD

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
K Sean Packard, CPA ‏@AthleteTax 1h

Players 4 an @NHL team n Seattle would enjoy 3rd most tax-beneficial schedule while playing n front of a rabid supporting fan base @NHLPA

Interesting, hear that NHLPA? :D

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
So you're saying that Canadians will drive 2.5+ hours to spend money on shopping? Have you seen gas prices? Maybe if they make a LARGE amount of purchases. And this would NEVER work effectively on weekday games. Which is important because weekend games usually do well on their own anyway. You guys are really trying to stretch this. The similarities with Buffalo and Seattle are almost nill.

Look, you don't live here and you don't know what you're talking about. If you go to the outlet mall by Seattle on just about any weekend you will find that the majority of cars have BC license plates. There are thousands of Canadians that travel to Seattle every day. Right now as I speak there is a two hour line-up at the border and tomorrow it will probably be three hours. It's the culture here. People from BC like traveling to the US. They don't necessarily think rationally about the price of gas etc.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
It's the culture here. People from BC like traveling to the US. They don't necessarily think rationally about the price of gas etc.

Yes this is true. Plus its a Friday afternoon/evening of a Long Weekend here in BC so sure enough, long line-ups at the Borders. Beyond that, the price of food is generally cheaper, with some products substantially less so theres that as well. As mentioned earlier, because things are so spread out, and I lived back east as well, just a different attitude. People from BC or alternatively Washington & to a lesser extent Oregon, just dont really consider it in the same way. And its not just on the highways, up & down I-5, same thing on the waterways. Tens of dozens of hundreds of private craft headed north & south from May through September.

Zorbane

Oct 23, 2006
Vancouver
Look, you don't live here and you don't know what you're talking about. If you go to the outlet mall by Seattle on just about any weekend you will find that the majority of cars have BC license plates. There are thousands of Canadians that travel to Seattle every day. Right now as I speak there is a two hour line-up at the border and tomorrow it will probably be three hours. It's the culture here. People from BC like traveling to the US. They don't necessarily think rationally about the price of gas etc.

Heh the US border agents need to get clued in, they had one lane open at midnight and I was stuck there for like 45 minutes

Betamax*

Um, why would people in Bc drive that far to attend expansion team games when Vancouver is right there?

I think for premium games i.e. those involving the Canucks, Leafs or Habs and superstars from the Eastern Conferences e.g. Crosby or Ovechkin, hockey fans in B.C. (especially those that live near the border) would travel down to see hockey games. In the MLS soccer, we have a culture of "supporters" groups traveling down to the Seattle and Portland games and if we get either one or both, we could even see it develop here, organically via the existing Canucks fan base or even the team officially creating and endorsing a traveling "Supporters Group" to cheer on the team.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
There are several markets that have done well - San Jose, Anaheim, Dallas and Nashville to name a few. If the NHL wants to continue growing the game in the U.S. they just might consider some markets that currently do not have teams --- Seattle, Portland, Houston and Kansas City.

Population does not equal markets and if the nhl really wants to grow the game in the US, there are several markets right now with hockey teams that surely could use some shoring up. You want to see what a big population, with a good arena but without an ownership group that doesn't care about hockey looks like, look at Atlanta ( who will likely get as another kick at the can, eventually)

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Not sure if posted here:

http://www.pamallison.com/2013/06/10/the-revenue-side-of-the-nba-and-nhl-finals/

What type of American is most likely to attend a hockey game or watch a game on television?

Residents of Military Proximity and Wealthy Seaboard Suburbs neighborhoods are most likely to attend a hockey game. Wealthy Seaboard Suburbs neighborhoods are older, established and affluent. Residents are primarily married couples living in a single-family home. About half work in management or have a professional career.

Residents of Dorms to Diplomas neighborhoods are most likely to watch hockey games on television. They live in dorms or share off-campus housing with one or more roommates. Most employed residents work part time to support themselves while attending school.

Last edited:

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
I want to preface my post by saying. I love Seattle. I think it is the coolest, most beautiful city in the US. I briefly lived there 20+ years ago. Probably still would if not for the high cost of living. Thanks King County! Granted I was hanging more with the grunge/snowboarding crowd, but I just never saw much interest in hockey in that area. The Thunderbirds were a pretty good team, but it was an easy ticket to get. Granted I know NHL vs. WHL interest is an oranges/tangerines comparison, but I'm a bit skeptical the NHL would be a success. It just seems like there are less risky markets(mainly Canadian) out there for a franchise. As a fan of the game and the city I would love to see it. They would instantly become my second favorite team. Just wary.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
I want to preface my post by saying. I love Seattle. I think it is the coolest, most beautiful city in the US. I briefly lived there 20+ years ago. Probably still would if not for the high cost of living. Thanks King County! Granted I was hanging more with the grunge/snowboarding crowd, but I just never saw much interest in hockey in that area. The Thunderbirds were a pretty good team, but it was an easy ticket to get. Granted I know NHL vs. WHL interest is an oranges/tangerines comparison, but I'm a bit skeptical the NHL would be a success. It just seems like there are less risky markets(mainly Canadian) out there for a franchise. As a fan of the game and the city I would love to see it. They would instantly become my second favorite team. Just wary.

Seattle is a very much major league town. Look at the support the Sounders got before it became a major league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad