Seattle IV: The Money Will Roll Right In

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
But for a market like seattle that is untapped and currently unknown wouldn't giving them top pick in the draft make sense to getting the fan base going?

I'm just speaking in terms of what has happened and what almost certainly would happen. This was an issue in the 90s, especially 1991 with the Sharks entering in the Lindros draft - the owners didn't want a new team coming in and taking a potential generational talent, so San Jose was awarded the 2nd overall pick instead of the 1st.

As I said, I'm in favor of an expansion team being entered in the lottery (which didn't exist in 1991, but did for the late 90s expansion), but not outright being awarded the #1.

At least the NHL has been far more fair about giving expansion teams picks (in the 90s at least) than Major League Baseball is...while Arizona and Tampa Bay were given sandwich round picks in the two seasons leading up to their entering the league (to establish a farm system), they didn't select until the 3rd (Arizona) or 4th round (Tampa Bay) in their expansion seasons of 1998. The Rockies and Marlins got sandwich round picks in their expansion seasons of 1993, but only had one previous draft before entering the league to 'build' a farm system. For those unfamiliar with the MLB Draft - there are sandwich rounds between the 1st & 2nd round and between the 2nd & 3rd round that are either compensation picks or, starting in 2013, 'competitive balance' picks that are awarded via a lottery system. Picks in that 28-40 range hit about as often as NHL 4th rounders do.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I'm just speaking in terms of what has happened and what almost certainly would happen. This was an issue in the 90s, especially 1991 with the Sharks entering in the Lindros draft - the owners didn't want a new team coming in and taking a potential generational talent, so San Jose was awarded the 2nd overall pick instead of the 1st.

That's a good point and make sense.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
If your ball is selected how many spots can you move up in the lottery draft? Three or four?

I'd be okay with an expansion team getting the #2 overall pick, but not the 1st. Just don't do what the NBA did to the Vancouver Grizzlies and Toronto Raptors where they were banned from drafting first overall for their first six years.

The expansion draft, IMO, would be more critical than the entry draft. Obviously the number of players the league allows each team to protect would be an impact for the expansion team. Can't expect them to be competitive if other teams are able to protect everyone minus the 4th line and 5th and 6th d-men.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
There is no chance that a sea linked AHL team would be supported here in Portland, specially when it would be viewed as kicking out the Winterhawks. Portland keeps the WHL or gets an NHL.

So Pounder why would any want to renew that bucket in a glass box? there is no point the memorial is lame iirc its an ashtray that only honors vets up till korea. NHL = Rose Garden only.

About the first part, let's face it, more than half the current crowds weren't around when the last ownership was here. They're in the arena for a winner. They're casual fans. You definitely have core Winterhawks fans... but what happens if there's no Thunderbirds, or if that rivalry is "muted" by NHL Seattle?

Second: the sports business has evolved from selling tickets to selling SEASON tickets. Playing 36 games a year in Moda will chase out the Hawks with the next talent dry spell. Bill Gallacher was the guy who wanted to put $10 million into that glass box, because there would be less rent paid and he'd probably have control of all team revenues. Of course, even the current mayor knows the $30 million plan isn't enough. I'm not disagreeing with the assessment of "the bowl in the box, yo", I'm saying it's a better seating capacity and economic situation for a Portland WHL team if the thing is gutted and reconstructed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad