Seattle hires Dave Tippett as advisor

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I mean... The coach is the one who is going to be implementing the system, so getting input from a former coach could be very useful... It is being speculated that this is going to eventually lead to a head coaching job, but they can't hire him because they don't technically have a coaching position yet.

Tippett was also involved as a exec. VP of Hockey Ops with the Coyotes, so he does have some front-office experience.
Okay, that makes more sense.

Seems a long way out to hire a coach. Maybe he will remain in management.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Tippet's daughter, son-in-law and 3 grandkids live in the area. So I am guessing that is great for Tippett.

I'm guessing this has a LOT to do with it.

I mean... The coach is the one who is going to be implementing the system, so getting input from a former coach could be very useful... It is being speculated that this is going to eventually lead to a head coaching job, but they can't hire him because they don't technically have a coaching position yet.

Tippett was also involved as a exec. VP of Hockey Ops with the Coyotes, so he does have some front-office experience.

For one year only, at the tail end of that mess involving Barroway becoming sole owner. The Coyotes hired a 26-year-old GM, then gave their head coach a 5-year extension AND more power than the GM - all while naming one of their co-owners (who had no experience) as President of Hockey Operations. The following offseason, Barroway bought out the other owners and then cleaned house. I know it was only one year for Tippett in that role, but it was a very odd year.

Reactions: CC96

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Awful. Who in their right minds would see what Tippett did in Arizona and think to themselves "I want my half billion dollar investment to look like that."

Like watching paint dry while your grandmother recites passages from 50 Shades of Grey. Aggressively unpalatable hockey.

I mean, the same thing was said about McPhee last year. This is a fresh slate, you just never know what will happen.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Seattle should hire Dean Lombardi as their GM. Say what you want about his decisions after winning 2 cups, but he's proven twice that he knows how to build a team from the ground up.

Come to think of it, Leiweke was the one who hired him in LA.

Reactions: Mosby

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Phoenix had far and away its most successful run as a franchise in tippets time. Like not even close honestly.

Yeah, but read Steve Downie's tweets and come back to me. There's also more on top of that. His first three seasons with the Coyotes were good, but after that he turned into somebody I refuse to think highly of.

I want the Coyotes to be a long-term contract dumping ground as long as they exist for many reasons. I truly mean that and if I get an infraction I'll gratefully accept it as I do understand how negative this comment is.

Last edited:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Seattle signalling to the League that they will suck...hoping to get Vegas terms for their draft before they pull a switch...:sarcasm:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He was a complete tyrant in AZ. Close friends with the main owner and he abused that power.

Phoenix had far and away its most successful run as a franchise in tippets time. Like not even close honestly.

When the league owned the team, not when a group of Canadian clowns took over.

Reactions: Yandover

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Seattle Coach Dave Tippett will report to (sacrificial) General Manager XXX who will report VP of Hockey Ops Dave Tippett.

The recipe for success!

Reactions: Yandover

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Not particularly a fan of Tippett but I can see the logic behind hiring a guy who has so much experience with a franchise that epitomizes an expansion team...

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I'm guessing this has a LOT to do with it.

For one year only, at the tail end of that mess involving Barroway becoming sole owner. The Coyotes hired a 26-year-old GM, then gave their head coach a 5-year extension AND more power than the GM - all while naming one of their co-owners (who had no experience) as President of Hockey Operations. The following offseason, Barroway bought out the other owners and then cleaned house. I know it was only one year for Tippett in that role, but it was a very odd year.
As bad as this sounds, the experience as a Coyote fan was even worse.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The Seattle Snoozefest...If anybody who has watched Dave Tippett coached teams,..its the most boring hockey imaginable.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00