Seattle GM: Likely Francis (UPD: Francis Named GM 7/18/19)

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Why would you wish that on the new kids?

Feels like and ends to a means for Detroit. They want Yzerman, and hey I heard Seattle might be interested in Holland, so its a win-win!

No one in Seattle wants Holland. Even Red Wings fans in Seattle don't want Holland for their 'second' team.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Feels like and ends to a means for Detroit. They want Yzerman, and hey I heard Seattle might be interested in Holland, so its a win-win!

No one in Seattle wants Holland. Even Red Wings fans in Seattle don't want Holland for their 'second' team.
It doesn't matter what the fans want. Holland has been a contender for the job for a while now. He also fits the bill of "I have a list of guys right now, and most of them are people that I can't talk to [because they are under contract]," I'm not saying hes favored or anything. Just that...

tenor.gif

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
It doesn't matter what the fans want. Holland has been a contender for the job for a while now. He also fits the bill of "I have a list of guys right now, and most of them are people that I can't talk to [because they are under contract]," I'm not saying hes favored or anything. Just that...

tenor.gif

Well it kind of does. One thing people have to know about OVG and Seattle Hockey Partners, while no, they will not use who fans want or do not want to select who they are going to work with. BUT they are paying attention to the chatter. Knowing how these guys operate and run this ship, I see no way they decide to go with Holland.

That is why I am 100% confident he will not be the GM. I'll change my AV to whatever you want if I am wrong

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Well it kind of does. One thing people have to know about OVG and Seattle Hockey Partners, while no, they will not use who fans want or do not want to select who they are going to work with. BUT they are paying attention to the chatter. Knowing how these guys operate and run this ship, I see no way they decide to go with Holland.

That is why I am 100% confident he will not be the GM. I'll change my AV to whatever you want if I am wrong
I honestly don't care. If you say he is not a contender for the job, then hes not a contender for the job.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
What about Kyle Raftis?
Interesting name too keep an eye on for the future but idk if he's ready yet but I have heard that he could be the next up and coming young GM like Chayka and Dubas. Idk much about him except that he seems to be doing a good job with the Greyhounds in the ohl

Reactions: Ebbisen

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I'm pulling for Mike Gillis, I think he's the best option. Probably the most progressive candidate who would be amazing building an organization the ground up. Two Presidents' Trophies, a Stanley Cup Finals and rejuvenated the Canucks after inheriting them as a Mickey Mouse organization after Nonis ran them into the ground.

Also, he's an American who lives up in Vancouver and is teaching at their college up there.

I can't think of a more perfect candidate.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I'm pulling for Mike Gillis, I think he's the best option. Probably the most progressive candidate who would be amazing building an organization the ground up. Two Presidents' Trophies, a Stanley Cup Finals and rejuvenated the Canucks after inheriting them as a Mickey Mouse organization after Nonis ran them into the ground.

Also, he's an American who lives up in Vancouver and is teaching at their college up there.

I can't think of a more perfect candidate.

Mike Gillis is born in Toronto.

The thing about him is that he has some sort of special clause. I don’t know what it is or what the demand is for,hiring him. But it’s something that prevented us from hiring back in 98, which we settled for Brian burke instead. I can’t say if it’s the reason why he’s not hired since.

Btw, he’s teaching at the university of Victoria.

Reactions: FacepalmBenning

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Mike Gillis is born in Toronto.

The thing about him is that he has some sort of special clause. I don’t know what it is or what the demand is for,hiring him. But it’s something that prevented us from hiring back in 98, which we settled for Brian burke instead. I can’t say if it’s the reason why he’s not hired since.

Btw, he’s teaching at the university of Victoria.

My mistake, old age is catching up with me. :D

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
Personally I would prefer someone new getting a chance. My preference is the following:

Lawrence Gilman - former Canucks AGM and current Leafs capologist

Sunny Mehta - former Devils director of analytics

Ron Hextall - did a good job slowly rebuilding the Flyers

John Chayka (if he gets fired by the Coyotes)
I’ve had Gilman in mind for awhile now too. The Canucks fan base had a lot of respect for him and he seemed to be the logical GM choice to replace Gillis. It’s a shame he was ousted because of internal politics. Maybe he gets another chance though, and with Vancouver’s newest, closest rival to boot.

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
De Bonis was hired by Seattle which means they will give Mike Gillis a long look
I liked Gillis when he was with Vancouver. Drafting under him sucked, but scouting was lead by the same Delorme who’s at least partially responsible for restocking Vancouver’s prospects under Benning. Gillis also handed out NTC like candy, but it seems players loved him because Gillis used to rep them, and I thought he was pretty savvy when it came to trades. Granted, the pieces he was trading for were complimentary pieces to round out a defensive powerhouse limited to 2nd round exits and turning them into one of the best teams in history to not win the cup.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Now i want Seattle to wait a year before hiring a GM.
I know a portion of people are expecting different timelines, and there may even be some chance that it is different, but I don't think there's even a need for a hockey operations department of any substance until 20-21. Hiring a GM isn't a rush.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I know a portion of people are expecting different timelines, and there may even be some chance that it is different, but I don't think there's even a need for a hockey operations department of any substance until 20-21. Hiring a GM isn't a rush.

Actually the idea of Seattle hiring a GM this summer was the teams idea. Not any of us fans wanting it. But with McCrimmon out of the picture. I say team should wait.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Actually the idea of Seattle hiring a GM this summer was the teams idea. Not any of us fans wanting it. But with McCrimmon out of the picture. I say team should wait.
For sure, but without getting into a discussion we've personally had a few times, I don't think they're going to be doing much Hockey Ops-wise until 20-21. While they may have wanted to get a jump on getting the right guy, that guy is literally just going to sit around with his friends in an office for a year, maybe hit a game or two for relationship development with other GMs.

It's just not important right now.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think it makes more sense to hire this year.

The GM needs to put together a staff and to do that within a year is no easy feat especially considering that Seattle has more of a lead up time vs Vegas. Better to take advantage of it.

I mean who else would Seattle be waiting for?

Also some teams deny requests from others to interview their staff under contract. So IMO it’s better to give the GM more time in case his top choices are not available.

Ideally hire the top executives for various roles like scouting, contract negotiations, etc.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I think it makes more sense to hire this year.

The GM needs to put together a staff and to do that within a year is no easy feat especially considering that Seattle has more of a lead up time vs Vegas. Better to take advantage of it.

I mean who else would Seattle be waiting for?

Also some teams deny requests from others to interview their staff under contract. So IMO it’s better to give the GM more time in case his top choices are not available.

Ideally hire the top executives for various roles like scouting, contract negotiations, etc.

They aren't going hire a GM just for the sake of hiring one. If it doesn't make sense cause the candidates on your short list isn't available anymore then they

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They aren't going hire a GM just for the sake of hiring one. If it doesn't make sense cause the candidates on your short list isn't available anymore then they
My question would be who else would they want? Not like McCrimmon would be available next season right? Is someone else going to emerge in 2020 that they didn’t consider in 2019?

Unless a candidates contract is going to expire in 2020, and there’s no assurance that that person will make it to 2020 as a free agent exec. Could extend with the current team with a promotion.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
My question would be who else would they want? Not like McCrimmon would be available next season right? Is someone else going to emerge in 2020 that they didn’t consider in 2019?

Unless a candidates contract is going to expire in 2020, and there’s no assurance that that person will make it to 2020 as a free agent exec. Could extend with the current team with a promotion.

but if the list of people left doesn't make sense for the direction the team wants to go to then why hire one this year?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
but if the list of people left doesn't make sense for the direction the team wants to go to then why hire one this year?
I agree on that point.

But it does make you wonder if there isn’t anyone that good now is there going to be much better options next season?

Always possible that someone like a Bowman, Poile, etc get terminated if their team disappoints next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad