Seattle Expansion Draft

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
If Holland isn't exiled by 2021 expect the protected list to be Abdelkader in all 11 spots

A II R

Jun 2, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
These lists of protected Wings assumes that we won't sign any FAs we would want to protect between now and the expansion draft. What if we sign someone like Duchene or Karlsson or another top 6/top 4 player?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Detroit Red Wings sign free agent Frans Nielsen

The CapFriendly site must be wrong because it doesn't even make sense. Why bother adding a partial NTC if he already has a full NMC anyway? Just so he can double-veto a trade?
According to this its both? I don't know what to make of it.
https://thehockeywriters.com/detroit-red-wings-no-trade-clauses/
Frans Nielsen

As mentioned above, Nielsen has an NMC throughout his tenure in Detroit, plus a modified NTC. The center has a 10-team no-trade list, but otherwise can be freely dealt to the 20 other teams if one wants to pick up his hefty contract.
Frans-Nielsen-Red-Wings-2-575x431.jpg

Frans Nielsen could be traded if the Red Wings want to part with him. (Amy Irvin / The Hockey Writers)
During the first two years of Nielsen’s stay in Detroit, he had a full NMC, meaning he would have to approve any sort of movement if the Red Wings wanted to make a change. Now the organization has a little bit more freedom with the veteran.

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
According to this its both? I don't know what to make of it.
https://thehockeywriters.com/detroit-red-wings-no-trade-clauses/
Frans Nielsen

As mentioned above, Nielsen has an NMC throughout his tenure in Detroit, plus a modified NTC. The center has a 10-team no-trade list, but otherwise can be freely dealt to the 20 other teams if one wants to pick up his hefty contract.
Frans-Nielsen-Red-Wings-2-575x431.jpg

Frans Nielsen could be traded if the Red Wings want to part with him. (Amy Irvin / The Hockey Writers)
During the first two years of Nielsen’s stay in Detroit, he had a full NMC, meaning he would have to approve any sort of movement if the Red Wings wanted to make a change. Now the organization has a little bit more freedom with the veteran.

Ah, so if that's correct then he has a partial NMC where we can trade him to all but 10 teams but anything else we need his approval for. For some reason I was only thinking of an NMC as a full NMC before, now I can understand it.

Guess we'll either have to find a way to trade him or hope he's a good sport and likes Seattle enough to be willing to expose himself. Damn.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
It's pretty well shaped out imo, that Frans Nielsen will join Seattle or be bought out by the Red Wings when that time comes.

He won't be worth the money really but he's got the skills to be a solid 3rd line center imo till he retires. Just one of those Savy veteran guys that doesn't screw up too much even if he's not providing a lot at the time. He'll be a solid veteran, leader, etc, for an expansion team/city. Little early to be guessing league wide who'll be available, but Nielsen should be a good leader to pluck around that time for reasonable money if they're attempting to hit the cap floor and play young(er) players.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Greedy player agents have always been the biggest problem for the sport since it became a big-money league. Those agents will manipulate players to think on their way, and then we go. Same **** through decades. Most annoying agent now in Finland is Erik Haula's father.

Igor Larionov is nowwadays the guy I respect most of anybody.

Hockey players are usually morons and that can't be helped. They definitely get taken advantage of but I hate the owners way more than the agents or the players. In general these owners are uber-wealthy and they repeatedly shut down the league because of their own ineptitude and greed. Owning a hockey team shouldn't be a business venture that they make any money on. Lower the ticket prices, pay the players, take care of the players, stop hiding concussion evidence and such. If doing that means operating at a loss, even a big one, then that should be the cost of owning a sports team. The greedy buggers can afford it, or they shouldn't own a team.

I grew up in a wealthy white neighborhood of mostly immoral, racist, mysoginist dirt-bags so my views are pretty colored against those types. I have no sympathy for particularly wealthy people under any circumstance regarding money. If you have enough, you have enough and the rest should be gravy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lyle Chipperson

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Your generalizations are very insulting and show your lack of intellect.

I mean I always played hockey. I just am saying that people who are selected purely for physical talents and prioritize practicing sports over school for their entire life are usually pretty bad at thinking. I don't think that's a big step. It's the same reason that most of my colleagues are terrible at sports. They were selected from a young age for their performance in school and prioritized thinking over practicing physical activities. People are good at what they do. Hockey players don't do much thinking and scientists don't do much exercising. I'm sorry that I've offended you.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Wow, your generalizations and stereotyping truly says a lot about your character.

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Wow, your generalizations and stereotyping truly says a lot about your character.
Alright, thank you. The insult on my intellect I felt very secure dismissing, but I'd never dismiss an insult on my character so flippantly. It's best to strive to be a better person. I'll take this as an opportunity to analyze myself and hopefully become a better person. Thanks again.

Reactions: Reddwit

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I mean I always played hockey. I just am saying that people who are selected purely for physical talents and prioritize practicing sports over school for their entire life are usually pretty bad at thinking. I don't think that's a big step. It's the same reason that most of my colleagues are terrible at sports. They were selected from a young age for their performance in school and prioritized thinking over practicing physical activities. People are good at what they do. Hockey players don't do much thinking and scientists don't do much exercising. I'm sorry that I've offended you.
Re-read your posts.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Hockey players are usually morons and that can't be helped. They definitely get taken advantage of but I hate the owners way more than the agents or the players. In general these owners are uber-wealthy and they repeatedly shut down the league because of their own ineptitude and greed. Owning a hockey team shouldn't be a business venture that they make any money on. Lower the ticket prices, pay the players, take care of the players, stop hiding concussion evidence and such. If doing that means operating at a loss, even a big one, then that should be the cost of owning a sports team. The greedy buggers can afford it, or they shouldn't own a team.

I grew up in a wealthy white neighborhood of mostly immoral, racist, mysoginist dirt-bags so my views are pretty colored against those types. I have no sympathy for particularly wealthy people under any circumstance regarding money. If you have enough, you have enough and the rest should be gravy.

Well that's a completely unrealistic opinion so if you're going from there you are guaranteeing yourself disappointment.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Ah, so if that's correct then he has a partial NMC where we can trade him to all but 10 teams but anything else we need his approval for. For some reason I was only thinking of an NMC as a full NMC before, now I can understand it.

Guess we'll either have to find a way to trade him or hope he's a good sport and likes Seattle enough to be willing to expose himself. Damn.

I think youre reading it wrong, it says he only had a NMC for his first 2 years, so he was protected from the first expansion draft but he no longer has a NMC apparently so he can be exposed. His no trade clause is still active where he can submit a list of teams he cant be traded to, this doesnt protect him from the expansion draft though.

mp,550x550,gloss,ffffff,t.3u1.jpg

Reactions: WingsMJN2965

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
Could be. I think Yzerman negotiates easily some mutual agreement with Holland and Nielsen on this case.

Protected (7+3+1)
1. Larkin
2. Mantha
3. Rasmussen
4. Zadina
5. Athanasiou
6. Bertuzzi
7. Svechnikov

----------------
Safe:
- Joe Veleno + other 2018 draftees at juniors/Europe/college
- 2019 draftees
- 2020 draftees

Left exposed:
- Nielsen (37 years old)

- Abdelkader (34 years old)
- Jacob de la Rose
- Christoffer Ehn
- Givani Smith
- Dominic Turgeon
- David Pope
- Axel Holmström
- Dylan Sadowy

Protected from Defence:
1. Cholowski
2. Hronek
3. DeKeyser

----------
Safe:
- McIsaac
- Lindström
- Regula etc. current prospects

Left exposed:
- All UFAs without a contract (Ericsson, Kronwall, Daley, Green, Jensen)
- Saarijärvi, Sulak, Hicketts

Protected goalie
- Howard or some current starter then

No clue who would be our goalies be at summer of 2021. Bernier is UFA etc. Howard could be retired.

My prediction is that we could lose probably Givani Smith, Ehn or de la Rose level of 4th line guy.

Just like we lost Nosek to Vegas. Nothing overly important.

It's cute how you all think that Yzerman coming back is a foregone conclusion. I mean, one can dream, right?

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
The owners don't want nor need your sympathy. :nod: These guys didn't get rich by breaking even and they are not going to be happy doing so with their play things.

I understand that. This was all in response to a comment about the agents being the worst people in hockey-manipulating players greedily and causing these lockouts. I blame the billionaires that only care about using the sport to make more money that they don't need.

But I think I've derailed the thread so I'm going to move on. Let's talk about the Seattle expansion draft.

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
I think youre reading it wrong, it says he only had a NMC for his first 2 years, so he was protected from the first expansion draft but he no longer has a NMC apparently so he can be exposed. His no trade clause is still active where he can submit a list of teams he cant be traded to, this doesnt protect him from the expansion draft though.

Yeah, but if you read the first part it says he has a NMC throughout his contract and in the second part it specifically says full NMC so that implies to me that it's the full part that ended. I don't see any other way to square those two parts together.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
depends. CBA ends in 2022, so after, but either side can opt out next year in which case the CBA would end after 19-10 season.

we'll know year from now as if either side delects to opt out, they have to do it next september.
Gotcha. Gonna make a huge difference in the expansion draft if it's post lockout. Teams will be buying out players with nmcs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad