Seattle Expansion Draft

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Neilsen has a modified NTC/NMC. Does anyone know for sure if he is exempt from the draft in 2021?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Capfriendly has it as a Modified-NTC and an NMC. Doesn't specify that the NMC is modified.

Larkin1578

Jun 22, 2015
I'm glad this thread was made, thank you! The Wings (and new GM...?) will sure have their work out for them to keep the core together.

Larkin1578

Jun 22, 2015
2021 hurts. Could've spared Zadina and Cholo in 2020. My guess would be:

Zadina
Larkin
Mantha
Athanasiou
Rasmussen
Bertuzzi
Nielsen :(

Cholowski
Hronek
Saarijarvi?

If I had to sacrifice a few to the draft...It'd have to be Nielsen, Hronek, Saarijarvi, Mantha and AA. Its a must (for me, atleast) to keep Larkin, Zadina, Rasmussen, Cholowski and Bertuzzi.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Neilsen has a modified NTC/NMC. Does anyone know for sure if he is exempt from the draft in 2021?
We don't know for sure yet. There's examples of both from similar contracts at the last expansion.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
If I had to sacrifice a few to the draft...It'd have to be Nielsen, Hronek, Saarijarvi, Mantha and AA. Its a must (for me, atleast) to keep Larkin, Zadina, Rasmussen, Cholowski and Bertuzzi.
What? Hronek may be our 2nd best Dman by then. Mantha & AA 1st/2nd line vet wingers in their prime. Saarijarvi possibly #4 by then or at least bottom pairing.

The OP has the correct list based on today's info, I could see Seattle grabbing DDK, a vet Top 4, who will be reasonably priced by then should his performance remain the same as today...if anything it'll help them reach the cap floor.

Reactions: Larkin1578

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Until somebody can show otherwise, CapFriendly has Nielsen as having a NMC for the entirety of his contract. Means he has to be protected.

I believe there was some dispute to that so if somebody can correct me I'd be more than happy that we can expose him, but right now all I can go on is what CapFriendly has.

Larkin1578

Jun 22, 2015
What? Hronek may be our 2nd best Dman by then. Mantha & AA 1st/2nd line vet wingers in their prime. Saarijarvi possibly #4 by then or at least bottom pairing.

The OP has the correct list based on today's info, I could see Seattle grabbing DDK, a vet Top 4, who will be reasonably priced by then should his performance remain the same as today...if anything it'll help them reach the cap floor.

Okay, who else do you think (vet wise) will be exposed besides DeKeyser?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Until somebody can show otherwise, CapFriendly has Nielsen as having a NMC for the entirety of his contract. Means he has to be protected.

I believe there was some dispute to that so if somebody can correct me I'd be more than happy that we can expose him, but right now all I can go on is what CapFriendly has.

Don't you worry about these. Yzerman will trade Nielsen before expansion draft.

Reactions: golffuul

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012

Detroit Red Wings sign free agent Frans Nielsen

There is a no-movement clause the first two years, then a limited no-trade clause.

The CapFriendly site must be wrong because it doesn't even make sense. Why bother adding a partial NTC if he already has a full NMC anyway? Just so he can double-veto a trade?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

That's not true go look at Dion Phenuef and Bobby Ryan last expansion (one had to be protected and one didn't, same clauses).

We go over this every 3 weeks it seems. We are simply ignorant and won't know until we're told the specifics of the clause.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Okay, who else do you think (vet wise) will be exposed besides DeKeyser?
Helm, LGD & Bernier, who will coincidentally be UFA's 7-1-21, a week after they could be picked.:laugh:

Only other signed vets is Abby w/2 years left...which they're not taking unless they wanna hit the cap floor & have "vet leadership/intangibles".

Detroit Red Wings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

So even if we wanted to resign Bernier & LGD in 2021, and either get picked, we could wait a week and resign them. I'm sure a handshake agreement from SY holds a lot of weight.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

The CapFriendly site must be wrong because it doesn't even make sense. Why bother adding a partial NTC if he already has a full NMC anyway? Just so he can double-veto a trade?

NMC blocks waivers which means = no AHL buss trips ever, anymore. I think many players would take partial NTC, where they have control power where to move to change the team if something will go wrong on the current one. But the biggest thing I would want on my contract, is to have absolute control power for AHL sendings. Like Redden was buried, or Alzner now....

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016

NMC means he cannot be exposed in the expansion draft and waived and assigned to minors as well.
Limited NTC means he provides a list of teams he is not willing to be traded to.
Apples vs. Oranges.

Big Ed

~
Feb 5, 2011
Does Zadina need to be protected if his contract slides this year? Unsure of how that works.

I also think you sit down with Nielsen and tell him he won't be picked and that he would be hurting the team by not waiving.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Does Zadina need to be protected if his contract slides this year? Unsure of how that works.

I also think you sit down with Nielsen and tell him he won't be picked and that he would be hurting the team by not waiving.

Yes it has to be.

North American Pro years were counted. AHL season = pro season.

Reactions: golffuul

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Could be. I think Yzerman negotiates easily some mutual agreement with Holland and Nielsen on this case.

Protected (7+3+1)
1. Larkin
2. Mantha
3. Rasmussen
4. Zadina
5. Athanasiou
6. Bertuzzi
7. Svechnikov

----------------
Safe:
- Joe Veleno + other 2018 draftees at juniors/Europe/college
- 2019 draftees
- 2020 draftees

Left exposed:
- Nielsen (37 years old)
- Abdelkader (34 years old)
- Jacob de la Rose
- Christoffer Ehn
- Givani Smith
- Dominic Turgeon
- David Pope
- Axel Holmström
- Dylan Sadowy

Protected from Defence:
1. Cholowski
2. Hronek
3. DeKeyser

----------
Safe:
- McIsaac
- Lindström
- Regula etc. current prospects

Left exposed:
- All UFAs without a contract (Ericsson, Kronwall, Daley, Green, Jensen)
- Saarijärvi, Sulak, Hicketts

Protected goalie
- Howard or some current starter then

No clue who would be our goalies be at summer of 2021. Bernier is UFA etc. Howard could be retired.

My prediction is that we could lose probably Givani Smith, Ehn or de la Rose level of 4th line guy.

Just like we lost Nosek to Vegas. Nothing overly important.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad