Seattle expansion draft

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
Just had a thought, we will most probably need to defend our 4 best defensemen, so how does our expansion draft look? Any moves we will need to make to protect our best players? I forget how many forwards we get to protect if we defend 4D

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think Brodie is gone by the time that it happens, or is a pending UFA. So, we won’t have that issue unless we have a couple of our prospects already in the system. If that’s the case, things are going to get interesting.

As AS said, it depends on the year.

If I were a betting man, by the time the expansion draft occurs, we’d be holding: Hamilton, Andersson, and Valimaki. Brodie will probably be gone/pending UFA/traded, and we’d have to have the risk of losing Gio. That, or we’re forced to protect 4D, but I don’t think we can protect as many forwards if we do that.

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
If it's a couple seasons from now, it might be a good time to get out of the last couple years of Giordano's contract and expose him. He'll be turning 37 that season. He could be still playing lights out by then and this looks like a stupid idea, but if not, an expansion team would probably covet his leadership and not care as much about his contract.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I actually agree. People won’t be able to fathom losing Gio today, but Seattle might look at what Vegas did this year. If Gio’s play falls off, they might simply take him to be a captain.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If we're too summers out, it's ridiculous to try to make any kind of guess about what we'll do. We don't know what our roster will be (our team, for example, has turned over about a dozen players since two summers ago) and we don't know how this team and each individual will have played in the two intervening years. Without having any clue of those two factors, what's the point in speculating? You can almost guarantee that not a single guess made at this point will be accurate.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
It's way too early to tell - and I can guarantee that the expansion draft rules are not going to be as favourable as they were to Vegas, so we might be able to protect more than just four.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It's way too early to tell - and I can guarantee that the expansion draft rules are not going to be as favourable as they were to Vegas, so we might be able to protect more than just four.
it's being speculated that they will be exactly the same

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
There's that word "guarantee" again.

And it's not just speculation, MM:

What is widely being agreed upon, though, is that it will be approached differently than the last one by the other 30 teams (Vegas is exempt). So in a way, they will get less favourable rules just by keeping them the same.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I'll play along:
Hamilton
Andersson
Brodie
Monahan
Gaudreau
Bennett
Tkachuk
Jankowski

Quote it for 3 years from now, I nailed it. Valimaki makes his NHL debut in 2019-2020 which keeps him exempt from the draft, Brodie re-gains form playing for a non-dipshit coach, Jankowski keeps improving like he has been every year for the past 6 and makes Backlund expendable, Gio is an old man and Brodie and Valimaki have taken over the LD side in the top 4. Other 4 forwards are obvious (because yes Bennett isn't a bust).

Reactions: TychoFan

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

What is widely being agreed upon, though, is that it will be approached differently than the last one by the other 30 teams (Vegas is exempt). So in a way, they will get less favourable rules just by keeping them the same.

Until it is officially announced by the NHL, it is indeed speculation or rumor, if you will.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Quote it for 3 years from now, I nailed it. Valimaki makes his NHL debut in 2019-2020 which keeps him exempt from the draft, Brodie re-gains form playing for a non-dip**** coach, Jankowski keeps improving like he has been every year for the past 6 and makes Backlund expendable, Gio is an old man and Brodie and Valimaki have taken over the LD side in the top 4. Other 4 forwards are obvious (because yes Bennett isn't a bust).

That development curve to get to Backlund's level would be tremendous. We're talking about exponential growth at this stage.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
That development curve to get to Backlund's level would be tremendous. We're talking about exponential growth at this stage.

Not really, it took Backlund 6 seasons to surpass Jankowski's rookie total by a whopping point. Janko rookie total at 23 years old is 25 points. Backlund had a 26 point season in his 6th year at age 27. The next year he broke out for 50+ then regressed back to 45+.

I almost guarantee Janko will be better than Backlund in 3 years.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Not really, it took Backlund 6 seasons to surpass Jankowski's rookie total by a whopping point. Janko rookie total at 23 years old is 25 points. Backlund had a 26 point season in his 6th year at age 27. The next year he broke out for 50+ then regressed back to 45+.

I almost guarantee Janko will be better than Backlund in 3 years.

Backlund's rookie season was almost identical to Jankowski's. He was also 21 at the time. We forget the guy suffered through injuries early on, but in Backlund's 23-24 year (same as this years' Janko) old season, which was a lockout, the guy went .5 ppg and was when everyone here started to realize this was something pretty special. By the time this guy was 24 he was getting pounded with tough matchups and playing with scrubs.

Janko can't also sniff Backlund's jock in terms of both sides of the puck and his processor speed.

While I hope he hits Backlund levels, that's asking a lot. I personally don't think Janko processes the game fast enough.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Those stats are incorrect, at least according to hockeydb. Backlund had a 39 point season in 2013-2014 (as a 24-25 year old) in 76 games. He also had 16 points in 32 games the year prior. And yeah, Backlund is still miles ahead defensively.

Back on topic, it's to early to say who the Flames will specifically lose but it's probably safe to say they'll lose someone good. At least Valimaki and Fox (assuming he signs) will be exempt if the draft is held in 2020.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Backlund's rookie season was almost identical to Jankowski's. He was also 21 at the time. We forget the guy suffered through injuries early on, but in Backlund's 23-24 year (same as this years' Janko) old season, which was a lockout, the guy went .5 ppg and was when everyone here started to realize this was something pretty special. By the time this guy was 24 he was getting pounded with tough matchups and playing with scrubs.

Janko can't also sniff Backlund's jock in terms of both sides of the puck and his processor speed.

While I hope he hits Backlund levels, that's asking a lot. I personally don't think Janko processes the game fast enough.
You can't just compare players at the same ages and say oh this guy was better so he will also be better at "X" age. Jankowski is on a completely different trajectory than Backlund was.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
You can't just compare players at the same ages and say oh this guy was better so he will also be better at "X" age. Jankowski is on a completely different trajectory than Backlund was.

I wasn't the one comparing ages. I was just pointing out where he was wrong.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I wasn't the one comparing ages. I was just pointing out where he was wrong.
Yeah, but you also said it take a tremendous development curve for Janko to be as good as Backlund in 2 years, the thing is while I think it is unlikely, Janko has been on a tremendous development curve. But you will never admit that because you like to write him off

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Those stats are incorrect, at least according to hockeydb. Backlund had a 39 point season in 2013-2014 (as a 24-25 year old) in 76 games. He also had 16 points in 32 games the year prior. And yeah, Backlund is still miles ahead defensively.

Back on topic, it's to early to say who the Flames will specifically lose but it's probably safe to say they'll lose someone good. At least Valimaki and Fox (assuming he signs) will be exempt if the draft is held in 2020.

Oh baby. I was looking at assists for 26 points . I'm on my phone and it cut off the right part of the screen.

My point still stands, I think Janko makes Backs expendable in 3 years.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016

That's ridiculous. I get that the NHL wants expansion teams to be profitable sooner than later but just magic-ing a contender into existence is unfair to the other teams in the conference.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Thing is, without another Gallant, I don't think Seattle will do as well as Vegas. Coaching played a huge role in their cinderella run.

Plus, decent chance organizations learn from Florida and Minnesota's mistakes and don't gift Seattle multiple quality pieces.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Vegas didn't recieve favourable rules.

NHL GMs sucking at their jobs and luck are the biggest reasons for their success.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00