Seattle expansion draft

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
That's ridiculous. I get that the NHL wants expansion teams to be profitable sooner than later but just magic-ing a contender into existence is unfair to the other teams in the conference.

On principle, I agree with you. Expansion is supposed to introduce a team into the league so that they can start the process of building a team "properly" (ie using the same methods that every other team gets to use). The expansion draft itself should not be a factor in success, IMO.

However, for what it's worth, a large part of Vegas' success came from league-wide misunderstandings and misconceptions due to the fact that this was the first ever expansion under a salary cap. I don't think Seattle will get any of those same breaks.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Yeah, but you also said it take a tremendous development curve for Janko to be as good as Backlund in 2 years, the thing is while I think it is unlikely, Janko has been on a tremendous development curve. But you will never admit that because you like to write him off

He's not a write off, like Poirier, Shinkaruk, et al. He's just not a core piece in my eyes. I don't think he thinks the game at a high enough level, or has a high enough ceiling to be.

I think he could carve out a good bottom 6C role, and be a longterm Flame even; and I agree his development has been great from terrible high school pick, to meh, to good college prospect, to good AHL prospect. I just don't see him getting to Backlund's level anytime soon. One guy's one of the elite shut down centres in the league.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
When the third line was on in November, Jankowski was great. His play fell off after the bye-week because I don't think he was fit enough for an 82-game season. It happens to a lot of rookies.

He's probably training hard right now and will be better next season

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
When the third line was on in November, Jankowski was great. His play fell off after the bye-week because I don't think he was fit enough for an 82-game season. It happens to a lot of rookies.

He's probably training hard right now and will be better next season

I really liked that third line in November/December, but from my recollection that was driven by Bennett; where he was easily the best player on Calgary for a 10 game stretch or so.

I hope he continues to improve. It'd be awesome having him as 40 point centre on this team. That goal total is great though for a rook, even if he's older than some 5th year players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad