Post-Game Talk: Seattle Expansion Draft | Canucks lose F Kole Lind to Seattle

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Because all the 'stars' available are old negative value garbage that would *actually* create a Thrasher scenario?

They're basically doing exactly what Vegas did. Giordano+Eberle basically = Fleury+Neal as the most 'name' players selected and surround that with a bunch of fast, cheap, underrated, effective two-way players. And left themselves with a mountain of cap space to make more moves for better players.

Can't wait to see it. :laugh:

Reactions: Johnathon Tanner

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I love it because expansion teams are historically horrible and usually are for a decade plus. Vegas was a once in a lifetime freak occurrence in sports. All the dumb Seattle fans think they're getting a Vegas team which is hilarious because after two or three Thrasher years which this roster is in store for, the disillusionment is going to be hilarious. Especially for such a God forsaken city like Seattle.

My very boring answer is that they will be somewhere in between. I don't think they're setup as well as Vegas because Vegas needed those extra draft assets to acquire their high-end talent and as of now Seattle hasn't acquired those.

I do think they'll have a deep team though initially and can compete for a playoff spot.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
My very boring answer is that they will be somewhere in between. I don't think they're setup as well as Vegas because Vegas needed those extra draft assets to acquire their high-end talent and as of now Seattle hasn't acquired those.

I do think they'll have a deep team though initially and can compete for a playoff spot.

We'll see what happens. Vegas was the most incredible sports experience of my life and one of the coolest things I've ever witnessed. Seattle is one of the shittiest cities in the world and every aspect of this team doesn't really inspire confidence. But I hope it's not horrible for those of you here who care.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I love it because expansion teams are historically horrible and usually are for a decade plus. Vegas was a once in a lifetime freak occurrence in sports. All the dumb Seattle fans think they're getting a Vegas team which is hilarious because after two or three Thrasher years which this roster is in store for, the disillusionment is going to be hilarious. Especially for such a God forsaken city like Seattle.
Thrashers first came into the league when there was no salary cap (and they sure as heck didn't spend like the Dead Wings). Pretty significant difference imho. Much harder for the "good teams" to keep all their decent players (especially in a flat cap period).

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
We'll see what happens. Vegas was the most incredible sports experience of my life and one of the coolest things I've ever witnessed. Seattle is one of the shittiest cities in the world and every aspect of this team doesn't really inspire confidence. But I hope it's not horrible for those of you here who care.

I don't really care how they do, I've just seen people rip on their team after 1 day so I'm interested in what these people would have rather Seattle done that would have made a major difference.

Vegas has been one of the best teams in the league. I understand why there is a comparison, I just don't get why that's the bar for whether or not Seattle has done a good job.

Reactions: Iron Mike Sharpe

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I realize they're now a rival, but have to rush to the defense of Seattle. Have you ever spent time watching a game in Edmonton, Calgary or Winterpeg in the dead of winter?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

expansion draft rules were significantly different for every team before Vegas. Plus there was no salary cap. It’s really apples and oranges. The nhl deliberately made the expansion draft much more friendly to Vegas than it was to the Thrashers and Seattle got the same benefits. It was not at all a once in a lifetime fluke but very much engineered.

Seattle is deep, young and effective and they have a boatload of cap space. They don’t have any star power, but as we see every year in Edmonton and Vancouver, that isn’t what’s important.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Leaving aside the debate about livability etc.....the Seattle Kraken will be moving into a billion dollar arena in Seattle Center.....their NFL team plays in Century Link Field; and the baseball team plays at T-Mobile Park......so as a City, they now have the three best venues in all of pro sports.

From a pro sports standpoint at least, they have to be doing something right.
2nd crack (heh) at having a MLB team and soon to be 2nd crack at a NBA team.:sarcasm:

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Leaving aside the debate about livability etc.....the Seattle Kraken will be moving into a billion dollar arena in Seattle Center.....their NFL team plays in Century Link Field; and the baseball team plays at T-Mobile Park......so as a City, they now have the three best venues in all of pro sports.

From a pro sports standpoint at least, they have to be doing something right.

Not a fan of the city but with the infrastructure you mentioned and the corporate wealth generated by being the hometown to the likes of Microsoft and Amazon (pretty amazing given the relative size of Seattle) should provide them enviable resources for a long time coming.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
My name until I moved to Canada was BillVanSeattle. Lived there for quite a while. I would personally suggest that you are talking out of your ass.

His comment to me says "tell me you only get your news from one source, without telling me you only get your news from one source. "

Anyway back on topic.

I think Appleton, Geekie, and McCann are three players that given a bigger opportunity will take advantage of it.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
His comment to me says "tell me you only get your news from one source, without telling me you only get your news from one source. "

Anyway back on topic.

I think Appleton, Geekie, and McCann are three players that given a bigger opportunity will take advantage of it.

Add Colin Blackwell to that mix as well.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

Anyway back on topic.

Fair comment.

Has there not been any info released on side deals that the Kraken made yesterday? I thought it was being released at 10 today?

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Lol he needs to sign 4 players to fill out a decent roster. His biggest asset imo is growing with each hour. That cap space is massive.
I said excitement not franchise.

Clearly the space is critical but he needs to do something with it.

But saying "Hey Seattle, see how much cap space we have!" is not what you want from a marketing perspective.

He should be sticking it to teams and so far he seems like a taker rather than a giver.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I said excitement not franchise.

Clearly the space is critical but he needs to do something with it.

But saying "Hey Seattle, see how much cap space we have!" is not what you want from a marketing perspective.

He should be sticking it to teams and so far he seems like a taker rather than a giver.

It's true they need to do something with it, and my criticism would be that they had a few days where they were allowed to be active and the rest of the league wasn't and seemingly did very little with that time. Now they're at a spot where sure they have cap space.. but so do other teams. I look at the Coyotes trades for Ladd & Gostisbehere where they probably got back 75% of what they should have but the organization has clearly made the decision that they require more draft picks as assets to improve the team long-term. At this point, Seattle/Francis haven't done that and it may have been a mistake.

As for the marketing - Vegas got popular because they were a good team quickly. If Seattle's plan is to be a good team right away and use the cap space for that then fair enough. If their plan was to grab as many assets as possible (which it doesn't seem like it is) then I'm fine with that too. Vegas did both - obviously best-case scenario. Right now it's on the table that Seattle could be a fringe playoff team with no extra assets, and we here in Vancouver know more than anyone how dumb of a strategy that is.

passive voice

Jun 16, 2009
Seattle is deep, young and effective and they have a boatload of cap space. They don’t have any star power, but as we see every year in Edmonton and Vancouver, that isn’t what’s important.

Are they young though? Nine signed forwards, of whom the median age is "older than JT Miller". Defence is a smidge younger, ignoring Giordano. Even Chris Driedger is 27.

And of course, due to the rules of the draft, they really do have an age gap (shouts to Jimbo).

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Saving a bunch of Cap space to blow on UFAs is a poor strategy IMO. And Francis isn’t exactly generating confidence in his ability to use cap in trades so far. Should have taken some more risks on forwards instead of playing safe for cap if he’s not going to use it wisely.

Reactions: Bubbles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad