Post-Game Talk: Seattle Expansion Draft | Canucks lose F Kole Lind to Seattle

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Last one was approaching 1,000 posts - continue here.

NHL Expansion Draft protected lists released: Price, Tarasenko exposed

Vancouver Canucks

Forwards:
Brock Boeser
Jordan Dickinson
Bo Horvat
JT Miller
Tyler Motte
Tanner Pearson
Elias Pettersson
Defencemen:
Olli Juolevi
Tyler Myers
Nate Schmidt
Goaltenders:
Thatcher Demko
(Notable players exposed: Braden Holtby, Jake Virtanen, Loui Eriksson)

Seattle Kraken Roster Thus far, based on Leaks on Twitter:

Anaheim - D Haydn Fleury
Arizona - F Tyler Pitlick
Boston - D Jeremy Lauzon
Buffalo - D Will Borgen
Calgary - D Mark Giordano
Carolina - F Morgan Geekie
Chicago - F John Quenneville
Colorado - F Joonas Donskoi
Columbus - D Gavin Bayreuther
Dallas - D Jamie Oleksiak
Detroit - D Dennis Cholowski
Edmonton - D Adam Larsson
Florida - G Chris Driedger
Los Angeles - D Kurtis MacDermid
Minnesota - D Carson Soucy
Montreal - D Cale Fleury
Nashville - F Calle Jarnkrok
New Jersey - F Nathan Bastian
NYI - F Jordan Eberle
NYR - F Colin Blackwell
Ottawa - G Joey Daccord
Philadelphia - F Carson Twarynski
Pittsburgh - F Brandon Tanev
San Jose - F Alex True
St. Louis - D Vince Dunn
Tampa - F Yanni Gourde
Toronto - F Jared McCann
Vancouver - F Kole Lind
Washington - G Vitek Vanecek
Winnipeg - F Mason Appleton

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The Kerfoot leaked promo certainly makes the Mccann panic look dumb.

Have a trade with Seattle so you know who you’re losing and acquire another player you don’t need to protect.

Reactions: timw33 and MS

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Green was acting on instructions when he benched Gadjovich in his one appearance at the end of the season. Management knew he'd be exposed in the expansion draft, but they don't want him to be taken (preferring to lose Lind).

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
The Kerfoot leaked promo certainly makes the Mccann panic look dumb.

Have a trade with Seattle so you know who you’re losing and acquire another player you don’t need to protect.

For anyone curious what this is referencing and didn't know.

Reactions: racerjoe

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Green was acting on instructions when he benched Gadjovich in his one appearance at the end of the season. Management knew he'd be exposed in the expansion draft, but they don't want him to be taken (preferring to lose Lind).

Imagine being afraid of losing a career AHLer.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

That would ... not be smart?

If there is 'mutual interest' why would you select the guy over, say, Vince Dunn and not just sign him a week later?

The Kraken selecting Kerfoot over McCann would do the Leafs a massive favour. McCann is much needed upgrade.

I expect that Toronto already had something worked out and Seattle would never have had a chance to take McCann ... they would never have made the trade with Pittsburgh if they didn't have something in place.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
played around with Capfriendly here is my team

Vatrano Kerfoot Zucker
Goodrow Gourde Eberle
Ritchie Jarnkrok Virtanen
Twarynski Girgensons Hinostroza
Geekie Beniers*

LTIR - Domi
AHL - Gambrell Merkley Benson Mascherin Burke

Giordano "c" DeMelo
Soucy Stecher
Dunn Zadorov
Fleury J.Brown

AHL - Clague

Price
Vanecek

AHL - Johansson

Just under 81 million with Zadorov Dunn Ritchie Twarynski signed to reasonable contracts.
*9 games and then back to Michigan till playoffs
Obviously with trade deals and UFA signings they should be able to pick off a few better players

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I can’t fathom how anyone who isn’t purposely creating a “sabotage Seattle” roster picks Carey Price.

Also drafting $81m of salary commitment also seems like bad strategy.

Seattle has the most precious asset in the league. Cap space. Wasting it would be silly. But I’m guessing that projection was more based on hopes a rival will hamstring themselves.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
played around with Capfriendly here is my team

Vatrano Kerfoot Zucker
Goodrow Gourde Eberle
Ritchie Jarnkrok Virtanen
Twarynski Girgensons Hinostroza
Geekie Beniers*

LTIR - Domi
AHL - Gambrell Merkley Benson Mascherin Burke

Giordano "c" DeMelo
Soucy Stecher
Dunn Zadorov
Fleury J.Brown

AHL - Clague

Price
Vanecek

AHL - Johansson

Just under 81 million with Zadorov Dunn Ritchie Twarynski signed to reasonable contracts.
*9 games and then back to Michigan till playoffs
Obviously with trade deals and UFA signings they should be able to pick off a few better players

if beniers signs a contract hes ineligible for ncaa.

Reactions: sting101

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Drance was talking about a scenario on the latest Vancast about how Vegas selected extra defensemen to take advantage of a "shortage" and were able to trade away most to get assets. How with Seattle this time around they could select extra goalies, to take advantage of a perceived shortage, many teams needing backups etc.

I think this is a much riskier play then with defense because there is much less positions available and much more opportunity for Seattle to be left with 7 goalies and really only 2 NHL spots. Plus the value of goalies has never been that great.

Reactions: MarkMM and MS

CalderSchmalder

Jul 26, 2009
Vancouver
My Seattle mock team is finally complete, had to move around a few guys in order to get under the cap. Unfortunately, you can't play around with free agency with this calculator AFAIK.

JVR - Bailey - Zucker
Schwartz - Wennberg - Compher
Nieto - Kerfoot - Bastian
Trenin - Tierney - J. Gauthier

Kero/E. Svechnikov/Gaudette/Stenlund

Rutta - Subban
Clifton - C. Miller
Bean - Demelo

Mahura/C. Jaros/Kylington

Price
Holtby

Vanacek
Kahkonen
Korenar

Cap hit - 80.7M/81.5M

Obviously, some trades would have to be made here, at least 2 of Holtby/Vanacek/Kahkonen would have to be traded for picks for example. Same thing with a couple defencemen. Whoever they select with their top entry-level draft pick could also be sent back to juniors depending on if they're ready for the NHL or not.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Drance was talking about a scenario on the latest Vancast about how Vegas selected extra defensemen to take advantage of a "shortage" and were able to trade away most to get assets. How with Seattle this time around they could select extra goalies, to take advantage of a perceived shortage, many teams needing backups etc.

I think this is a much riskier play then with defense because there is much less positions available and much more opportunity for Seattle to be left with 7 goalies and really only 2 NHL spots. Plus the value of goalies has never been that great.

I don't think there's any real risk at all - Seattle will surely have negotiated the trades before they make the picks. But I doubt they will extract much value. Even Vegas didn't exactly get a king's ransom for their excess D:

Trevor van Riemsdyk and a 2018 seventh-round pick were traded to Carolina for Pittsburgh's 2017 second-round pick.
David Schlemko was traded to Montreal for a 2019 fifth-round pick.
Marc Methot was traded to Dallas for Dylan Ferguson and a 2020 second-round pick.
Alexei Emelin was traded to Nashville for a 2018 third-round pick.
Calvin Pickard was traded to Toronto for a 2018 sixth-round pick and Tobias Lindberg.

That being said, I think the real value in this expansion draft is scoring wingers. There are quite a few exposed and while I bet Seattle would take one or two, they surely don't need all of them, and there may be interest around the league:

Nino Niederreiter (1 yr, $5.25M)
Joonas Donskoi (2 yr, $3.9M)
Jonathan Drouin (2 yr, $5.5M)
Andreas Johnsson (1 yr, $3.4M)
Jordan Eberle (3 yr, $5.5M)
Josh Bailey (3 yr, $5M)
Evgeni Dadonov (2 yr, $5M)
James van Riemsdyk (2 yr, $7M)
Jason Zucker (2 yr, $5.5M)
Vladimir Tarasenko (2 yr, $7.5M)
Ondrej Palat (1 yr, $5.3M)
Alex Killorn (2 yr, $4.45M)

A few of those guys might be negative value assets, but I bet Seattle could flip 3-5 of them for something decent.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I can’t fathom how anyone who isn’t purposely creating a “sabotage Seattle” roster picks Carey Price.

Also drafting $81m of salary commitment also seems like bad strategy.

Seattle has the most precious asset in the league. Cap space. Wasting it would be silly. But I’m guessing that projection was more based on hopes a rival will hamstring themselves.
It's weird that you never directly quote what i post and want to debate it in good faith but prefer to take passive aggressive shots at my logic and criticize them.

It's just a fun thing first off. Secondly Price could be a marketing boom for Seattle and thirdly he just backstopped a 4th place team into the Stanley Cup finals. Hard to dismiss the influence of top tier goaltending for 60 minutes and of course i would only take him if he had a clean bill of health

As far as the cap....i explained at the bottom that i would obviously have to entertain offers, trades and free agents but without getting too wild and making too many hypothetical scenarios up and using what was available (purely from the expansion lists).

Would have 23 million available without a single trade and Matthew Beniers for season 2 Not a bad scenario for a prime aged team mostly and one that probably would have made the playoffs in yr1

So if you could kindly stop trolling what i say and step up and debate or preferably not that would be appreciated.
giphy.gif

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If I’m Seattle I’m going young up side and then buy teams bloated contracts for picks.

If I'm Seattle I'm basically following they hyper-successful Vegas model to a T.

That model was :

1) Prioritize young, cheap, fast high-motor players. And there are tons of similar players available to what Vegas had. Connor Clifton and Colin Blackwell could be their Schmidt and Marchessault.

2) Commit as little salary as possible that is a) past 1 year or b) on players over 30. And definitely not both.

3) Harvest about 5 extra draft picks by taking guys other teams want and flipping them. You have 30 selections but only 23 roster spots, so you have this flexibility.

4) Harvest a few further assets by taking one or two bad contracts, but again as in (2) you're looking for 1-year commitments that are quickly off the books, like Vegas with Garrison in 2017.

5) Pick one or two high-profile veteran leaders. Giordano is the best choice to be their Fleury.

6) Treat your cap space like gold and save it for opportunities to make moves for absolute elite impact players.

Rumours they are in on guys like Danault/Schwartz and the horrific Price contract indicate they are not prioritizing (6).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad