Post-Game Talk: Seattle Expansion Draft | Canucks lose F Kole Lind to Seattle

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I’m sure that plays into it. But a good negotiator still gets at least one deal done. Likely a few as a low bar. It was a once in a franchise opportunity. Playing hardball and getting nothing done doesn’t help them.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Did I see that Gourde is out for 4 months with injury? That’s currently a very rough forward group for scoring. Will be interesting to see if they trade away some of their defense depth to fix that.

Reactions: Johnathon Tanner

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I’m sure that plays into it. But a good negotiator still gets at least one deal done. Likely a few as a low bar. It was a once in a franchise opportunity. Playing hardball and getting nothing done doesn’t help them.

Yeah no kidding. The ask to not select Giordano was rumored to be a 1st and 3rd. Calgary wouldn't pay that so why not take something less.

But with Seattle I get the feeling there is a plan there and it'll be clearer soon enough.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Call me jaded but waiting for “a plan” leads to disappointment more often than not. Not that I’m a Kraken fan at all (already have two disappointing teams to let me down thank you very much) but I was pumped for some action yesterday/today.

more often than not “a plan” is literally zero plan in sports.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
There's no denying that this ED had a much weaker crop than the Vegas ED. Taking Marchessault, Perron, Karlsson, Schmidt, Miller, and McNabb while seeing GM's trade useful guys in Reilly Smith, Shea Theodore, and Tuch to make such selections.

GMs this time were more shewed. Just exposed whatever they had knowing that SEA wasn't going to take players with high dollar amounts or term.

Looking at the final product. Yikes, a 2-3 year tank while selling high on assets and stockpiling prospects and picks would be wise. Someone like Gio carries value. I could see some team poneying up picks and prospects at the deadline for Gourde, and Brandon Tanev etc...If the goal is to make the playoffs asap, then they may make stupid signings or trades. Long term, the ideal strategy is to build a contender.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Seattle looks like it has some longer term pieces and some trade-chips. For this to work I think they need to get something out of the Mark Giordano’s. This should be the year to make that sort of thing happen.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
There's no denying that this ED had a much weaker crop than the Vegas ED. Taking Marchessault, Perron, Karlsson, Schmidt, Miller, and McNabb while seeing GM's trade useful guys in Reilly Smith, Shea Theodore, and Tuch to make such selections.

GMs this time were more shewed. Just exposed whatever they had knowing that SEA wasn't going to take players with high dollar amounts or term.

Looking at the final product. Yikes, a 2-3 year tank while selling high on assets and stockpiling prospects and picks would be wise. Someone like Gio carries value. I could see some team poneying up picks and prospects at the deadline for Gourde, and Brandon Tanev etc...If the goal is to make the playoffs asap, then they may make stupid signings or trades. Long term, the ideal strategy is to build a contender.

Actually I think the amount of talent available was much better this time. All those names you just named were not slam dunks, in fact maybe Perron and Miller were cheered.

I'm of the belief that Francis wants to tank and try to get his hands on Wright, Bedard or Michkov. So this kind of fits in line with that theory.

But only one trade for assets afterwards? That's a fail. And yeah, cap space is an asset if you use it right. I'm really surprised they are not facilitators in three way trades and take on some salary for retention.

Reactions: Johnathon Tanner

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Actually I think the amount of talent available was much better this time. All those names you just named were not slam dunks, in fact maybe Perron and Miller were cheered.

I'm of the belief that Francis wants to tank and try to get his hands on Wright, Bedard or Michkov. So this kind of fits in line with that theory.

But only one trade for assets afterwards? That's a fail. And yeah, cap space is an asset if you use it right. I'm really surprised they are not facilitators in three way trades and take on some salary for retention.

The only talented guys I can see are either past their prime (JVR), grossly overpaid (Price) or come potentially damaged like Tarasenko.

Landeskog is going to command big bucks and is overrated.

In contrast to 2017 when many here wanted Marchessault or Theodore. Cap controlled players that showed many signs they were breaking out or held back by depth on their respective teams.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think the talent available was similar but GMs weren't giving you 2/3 of an NHL 1st line to protect a 7th defender this time around. Or giving Shea Theodores away.

As a fan I had a way better read on this expansion draft and GMs obviously did too.

Reactions: 4Twenty and vanuck

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Are they young though? Nine signed forwards, of whom the median age is "older than JT Miller". Defence is a smidge younger, ignoring Giordano. Even Chris Driedger is 27.

And of course, due to the rules of the draft, they really do have an age gap (shouts to Jimbo).

young is maybe not the right word but they have one forward and one defender over 30. They should all be pretty reliable with nobody at major risk of falling off a cliff for another couple years.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
We'll see what happens. Vegas was the most incredible sports experience of my life and one of the coolest things I've ever witnessed. Seattle is one of the shittiest cities in the world and every aspect of this team doesn't really inspire confidence. But I hope it's not horrible for those of you here who care.

Tell me you've never traveled without telling me you've never traveled.

Paper Bag

May 22, 2021
My buddy just sent this to me. Finally a solution to the problem. Lmao

Attachments

• IMG_6349.jpg
    IMG_6349.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad