Proposal: Seattle/Buffalo: 2022 pick #4 for #9, #16, and #31

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Not even remotely considering that as a Buffalo fan. Imagine the vet dman i could get that could stabilize this team now if im trading 3 first round picks...

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I meant an established RHD. Or just target a guy like Chychrun, who can play the right side.
Can you imagine if they traded 9, 16 and 32 for Chychrun?

That would give Zona:

3, 9, 16, 30, 31, 32, 34, 36, 43, 45

You’d have to think there’s be som serious wheeling and dealing moving up with all those picks.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf

That would give Zona:

You’d have to think there’s be som serious wheeling and dealing moving up with all those picks.
That or they try and get pick 33 and 35 so they can just stay up at the podium for 20 minutes making selections.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

That would give Zona:

I cannot. (1) Buffalo has plenty of lefties; (2) what a gross waste of assets that would be for a team that already has Dahlin and Power; and (3) Chychrun looked like ass last year. Someone else (someone presumably much more desperate for D) can pay for the player they hope they can turn him into.

Reactions: Diaspora

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Per The Athletic pick value chart

9OA+16OA+31OA = 13.9

4OA = 9

9OA+31OA would = 9.2

i have no value in athletic chart because not much trades have been done over the years in the top 20

what was reportedafter 2013 draft was Darcy tried to trade with Carolina and he ask from Carolina-was 8+38+Sekera. Later Sekera was traded for pick 35.

a pick swap around there would be something around 9+ Florida pick Or Buffalo could do 9+BUF 2nd+ PHL 2nd 2023

Thank god there is a chart to tell us that the value is way off.... ;)

the difference between the two top 10 isn’t much in terms of success/failure of picks

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I cannot. (1) Buffalo has plenty of lefties; (2) what a gross waste of assets that would be for a team that already has Dahlin and Power; and (3) Chychrun looked like ass last year. Someone else (someone presumably much more desperate for D) can pay for the player they hope they can turn him into.
If you’re looking for a righty, how about Tyson Barrie for pick# 73? Unless you figure the Sabres are going big game hunting for a RHD (legit asking, don’t know if their plan is to be aggressive this summer)?

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
Buffalo's cupboard will be sparse once Quinn, JJ and Power make the jump next year. I"d just assume select BPA w/ all three picks unless you can use the Florida pick to grab a good/cap heavy guy.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
If you’re looking for a righty, how about Tyson Barrie for pick# 73? Unless you figure the Sabres are going big game hunting for a RHD (legit asking, don’t know if their plan is to be aggressive this summer)?

A guy who's main value (arguably only value in Barries case) is as a PPQB is the last thing the Sabres need. Dahlin and Power have that handled for the next decade. Barrie is the opposite of what the Sabres need.

Based off our GMs end of season interviews, the Sabres won't be aggressively hunting RHD. There isn't a pressing need since Dahlin has been playing the right side, and Adams doesn't seem concerned about handedness.

Last edited:

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Despite playing hero last night, Tyson Barrie is the guy I want playing for the other team. Have never been a fan at all.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Not expecting the Sabres to go after big names, but I have no desire to watch Barrie shit himself in a Sabres uniform. Guy is a trainwreck in his own zone.

ETA: Also, the entire reason Sabre fans want a veteran RHD is to give Power a more reliable/stable partner than Jokiharju. Barrie is definitely not that.

Last edited:

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
So debunk it. You can't just shout "DEBUNKED!" to debunk something.

I Declare Bankruptcy GIF - Bankruptcy Declare I Declare Bankruptcy -  Discover & Share GIFs
You’re more than welcome to take the chart and then use it to calculate pick for pick trades over the last five years, and you’ll find that there’s rarely less than a 50-75 point difference. Certainly less on Dom’s because he made it less points to make the gap less egregious. :laugh:

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
You’re more than welcome to take the chart and then use it to calculate pick for pick trades over the last five years, and you’ll find that there’s rarely less than a 50-75 point difference. Certainly less on Dom’s because he made it less points to make the gap less egregious. :laugh:
You’re missing the point, deliberately so?

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Seattle seems strongest at Defense but you kind of have to take Nemec at #4 in my opinion, if he's even still available.

If they are indeed faced with that decisoion, after factoring in the fact that Seattle's prospect cupboard is relatively bare, it seems to me the proposed trade might make sense for both teams as Buffalo is desperate for RHD.

#9OA + #16OA + #31OA for #4OA

...which would become something like:

Lekkiermakki + McGroarty + Jack D. Hughes for Nemec

1) Seattle has a bunch of 2nd pairing veteran defenseman and a 2nd round pick from last year.
I'm not sure how we're "strongest" at defense and there's absolutely no elite defensive prospect in our shallow prospect pool.

2) Seattle's not trading down from #4 - #9 and needs Qualtiy, not quantitiy.
Especially with 25 draft picks(2 firsts, 7 2nd rounders) in the next two drafts already being owned by Seattle.

Better to pick at 9 and then use the next 2 picks to take Sam Rinzel at #16 + either Chesley or Luneau with the FLA 1st.

And trade up from the FLA pick as needed to select BUF’s preferred option between Chesley/Luneau). That’s far less expensive than giving up all 3 firsts for one player, aw great as Nemec may be.

However, if BUF could acquire #4 in exchange for: #9 + FLA 1st (#28-32) + BUF 2nd rounder (#41), that

Not thanks.

Quality ----> Quantity

And again, we already have a bunch of picks.

ginovegas

Dec 15, 2009
Montreal
Buffalo probably needs a veteran Dman more than they need a young RD. With Dahlin showing how well he can play on the right side with Samuelsson that could solidify the top pairing with Power and Joker on the 2nd pairing. While an upgrade for Joker would be ideal it may not be the direction they go given how much ice time Donny likes to give him.

Also the oldest Defenseman they have under contract or as an RFA next season is Fitzgerald who's only 25 and a 7th D followed by Bryson at 24. They need a solid Vet to mentor Power and potentially even some of the other guys like Dahlin, Sammy and Joker considering they are all still only 22.

Adding 3 more 1st round prospects can't hurt as it's 3 more lottery tickets and you're not guaranteed to hit money on any of them so the more chances the better.

Petry seems to fit your needs

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
1) Seattle has a bunch of 2nd pairing veteran defenseman and a 2nd round pick from last year.
I'm not sure how we're "strongest" at defense and there's absolutely no elite defensive prospect in our shallow prospect pool.

2) Seattle's not trading down from #4 - #9 and needs Qualtiy, not quantitiy.
Especially with 25 draft picks(2 firsts, 7 2nd rounders) in the next two drafts already being owned by Seattle.

Not thanks.

Quality ----> Quantity

And again, we already have a bunch of picks.

There is no chance SEA turns down 3 first round picks to move down 5 slots. The gap between 4 and 9 this year is not that signficant.

No way BUF would offer that, however, for the same reason why SEA would jump at the chance to accept that.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
There is no chance SEA turns down 3 first round picks to move down 5 slots. The gap between 4 and 9 this year is not that signficant.

No way BUF would offer that, however, for the same reason why SEA would jump at the chance to accept that.

Again.

Seattle needs quality and not quantity.
If we trade down it will be only a couple of spots(5 - 7) since we can get the quantity with all those extra picks we got already.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Again.

Seattle needs quality and not quantity.
If we trade down it will be only a couple of spots(5 - 7) since we can get the quantity with all those extra picks we got already.

Well that suggestion (to trade down a couple of spots) is both a reasonable one that they should consider (depending on which players they like), as well as self-contradictory.

THIS YEAR, unlike other years, the gap between 4 and 9 is not nearly as signficant. And in general, I am always a fan of quality over quantity, but in this case there is some SERIOUS quality available at 16 -- and the gap between 9 and 16 is MUCH less than it is from 16 to 30-ish (or wherever the FLA pick ends up being).

If Seattle had 9 and 16, they could either get 2 elite D prospects (any 2 of Mintyukov, Korchinski, Mateychuck and Pickering, maybe even Sam Rinzel if they rank him similarly), and there's just as good a chance of Mintyukov and Korchinski or some others to emerge one day as the best Dman from the draft. If you're comparing one of Nemec/Jiricek versus the field, I would have to bet on the field, even if I have Nemec and Jircek ranked ahead -- just because they aren't rated as highly as some previous uber-high end prospects were like Doughty or Heiskanen or Makar (to use examples of non-1st overall picks like Dahlin or Power).

So to reiterate, if I'm BUF I do not trade #9 + #16 + FLA 1st (28-32), and I do accept that if I'm SEA and it was offered.

Conversely, if I'm BUF I WOULD trade #9 + FLA 1st (#28-32) + 2nd rounder (#41), but I would not accept the latter if I'm SEA.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I like it for Buffalo, but it’s 1 pick too many for this draft.

#9 & #31 for #4 seems more fair

Nemec would be an amazing addition to Buffalo and put them on fast track to contention. Dahlin, Power & Nemec would be best young D trio the league has seen in sometime

Reactions: Kublakhan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad