Proposal: Seattle/Buffalo: 2022 pick #4 for #9, #16, and #31

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Seattle seems strongest at Defense but you kind of have to take Nemec at #4 in my opinion, if he's even still available.

If they are indeed faced with that decisoion, after factoring in the fact that Seattle's prospect cupboard is relatively bare, it seems to me the proposed trade might make sense for both teams as Buffalo is desperate for RHD.

#9OA + #16OA + #31OA for #4OA

...which would become something like:

Lekkiermakki + McGroarty + Jack D. Hughes for Nemec

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
If Buffalo had pick 6 or 7, yeah. 9 though? Nah. That's the pick where the quality of available players drops a bit this year unless somebody is passed on for size, etc.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
If Buffalo had pick 6 or 7, yeah. 9 though? Nah. That's the pick where the quality of available players drops a bit this year unless somebody is passed on for size, etc.
It would be quantity for quality. The #9 might be all that great compared to some years, but the #16 and #31 would be above average imo. And one of those 7 players is almost guarunteed to fall, like one or two does every year.

I meant an established RHD. Or just target a guy like Chychrun, who can play the right side.
Those three picks altogether wouldn't get you Chychrun, much less only one of them. A #16 pick gets you jack squat -- Risto brough back much more than that and he sucks.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Seattle seems strongest at Defense but you kind of have to take Nemec at #4 in my opinion, if he's even still available.

If they are indeed faced with that decisoion, after factoring in the fact that Seattle's prospect cupboard is relatively bare, it seems to me the proposed trade might make sense for both teams as Buffalo is desperate for RHD.

Buffalo probably needs a veteran Dman more than they need a young RD. With Dahlin showing how well he can play on the right side with Samuelsson that could solidify the top pairing with Power and Joker on the 2nd pairing. While an upgrade for Joker would be ideal it may not be the direction they go given how much ice time Donny likes to give him.

Also the oldest Defenseman they have under contract or as an RFA next season is Fitzgerald who's only 25 and a 7th D followed by Bryson at 24. They need a solid Vet to mentor Power and potentially even some of the other guys like Dahlin, Sammy and Joker considering they are all still only 22.

Adding 3 more 1st round prospects can't hurt as it's 3 more lottery tickets and you're not guaranteed to hit money on any of them so the more chances the better.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This feels quite bad for Buffalo.

If Buffalo needs a RHD, 9th or 16th could get you a pretty good player with control.
Most teams with a RHD under those circumstances would rather keep him rather than get a 9 or 16 OA pick and wait 2-3 years for that kid. GMs have a certain shelf life to get something done.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If that deal was offered to any team other than Montreal their GM would be insane to turn it down. This draft is one of the biggest crapshoots ever with very little consensus so quantity > quality.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Better to pick at 9 and then use the next 2 picks to take Sam Rinzel at #16 + either Chesley or Luneau with the FLA 1st.

And trade up from the FLA pick as needed to select BUF’s preferred option between Chesley/Luneau). That’s far less expensive than giving up all 3 firsts for one player, aw great as Nemec may be.

However, if BUF could acquire #4 in exchange for: #9 + FLA 1st (#28-32) + BUF 2nd rounder (#41), that is an offer I would do from the Sabres perspective. Not sure if that’s enough for SEA?

PatLaFontaineASMR

Jul 9, 2014
Parts Unkown

Per The Athletic pick value chart

9OA+16OA+31OA = 13.9

4OA = 9

9OA+31OA would = 9.2

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
I feel really good about value in this draft at 9 and 16. Is much rather keep and draft 3 picks instead of taking a chance on #4. And if it’s for Nemec, that’s not a major draft need in my book.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I would do that from Seattle perspective, would add either the Toronto or Florida 2nd if needed.

Would take Lekkerimaki + Chesley + Kulich, if all are available at those spots. Much better than Nemec alone to me.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
You’ve really gotta wonder how many more of these pick value charts need to be debunked before they stop making them.

So debunk it. You can't just shout "DEBUNKED!" to debunk something.

I Declare Bankruptcy GIF - Bankruptcy Declare I Declare Bankruptcy -  Discover & Share GIFs

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You’ve really gotta wonder how many more of these pick value charts need to be debunked before they stop making them.
Right now teams are looking at actual prospects not just draft positions.

Seattle knows that at 4, they will have a choice of either RHD or Slaf most likely. Possible that Cooley will be there but that’s more unlikely than it is likely.

In terms of future trade value a very good RHD is worth a lot. Plenty of teams are dying to land one. Seattle doesn’t have much on the RHD when it came to the ED. They got Larsson as the main RHD but then it’s a massive drop off to Borgen.

So adding one of the top 2 rated RHD seems like the right choice.

People trying to replicate the Cowboys trade chart from back in the 90’s for hockey need to remember that in the NfL there are way more deals that come down on draft days compared to the nhl. They are getting guys who will be on their roster this upcoming season. NHL you are waiting 2-4 years for the player after the top 10 guys.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad