Seattle Arena Talk - Update in #898 Hansen talks private financing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
This sounds like a game changer to me and as long as it's good enough to sway a vote for the street vacation then they could be in business again.

Could also be tied to the rumour up-thread that the NBA will look at expansion after the new CBA is dealt with which seems to be weeks away.

Question remains, does this help or hinder the NHL? Under the MOU to my understanding is 80 million of the 200 was contingent on getting an NHL team on board. If public money is no longer needed, is an NHL partner needed anymore as well?

xkj1985x

Jul 21, 2012
Seattle
Message from Chris Hansen & Co.

Following the Seattle City Council’s vote last May to deny the vacation of a portion of Occidental Avenue South we reiterated our commitment to bringing the NBA and NHL back to Seattle. We said we would take time to step back, evaluate our options, better understand the Council’s concerns and find a path forward.

For the past five months, we’ve been doing just that. We have carefully considered the various concerns expressed by Council members and identified steps we could take to address those concerns. In a letter to the Mayor and King County Executive — both of whom share our goal of bringing the Sonics and NHL back to Seattle — we described the steps we are willing to take to move the Arena project forward.

First, we will direct contributions to a package of additional SODO traffic improvements, which will improve freight mobility through the area.

Second, we agreed to commit future payment of compensation for the vacated street to the city’s financing package for the Lander Street Overpass, thereby helping to close the funding gap for that important project.

Finally, we have agreed to revising the street vacation petition to eliminate public financing of the Arena. Terminating the MOU would allow the city and county to recoup the $200 million in debt capacity and free-up Arena tax-generated revenue streams.

To make this all possible we have asked for approval of a revised conditional street vacation, a waiver of the city’s admissions tax, which has been granted for the other sports venues in Seattle, and an adjustment of the city’s B&O tax for revenue generated out of town.

We are hopeful these additional steps will address the concerns of the Council so the Arena project can move forward – which remains the critical first step to bringing the NBA and NHL back to Seattle.

Go Sonics!

— Chris Hansen, Erik Nordstrom, Pete Nordstrom, Wally Walker

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
More

Tim Booth, Seattle-based writer from the Associated Press, tweeted out a copy of the actual letter that was sent to the councils.

Apologies in advance if you aren't able to read it clearly, but this was what he tweeted out.

I will say that this is a huge development for sure, but I'm not too sure that it's going to move the needle all that much. The rest of our normal Seattle posters can chime in and we can discuss this further.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
This sounds like a game changer to me and as long as it's good enough to sway a vote for the street vaccination then they could be in business again.

Could also be tied to the rumour up-thread that the NBA will look at expansion after the new CBA is dealt with which seems to be weeks away.

Question remains, does this help or hinder the NHL? Under the MOU to my understanding is 80 million of the 200 was contingent on getting an NHL team on board. If public money is no longer needed, is an NHL partner needed anymore as well?

NHL still might be first to Seattle if they are in a better position to expand. With the economics you would want 2 primary anchor tenants.

I will say that this is a huge development for sure, but I'm not too sure that it's going to move the needle all that much. The rest of our normal Seattle posters can chime in and we can discuss this further.

the 27 million to pay for Lander Overpass clinches the deal imho. The Optics will look bad for the council, many citizens were against it because they felt that the City/public was going to be paying for an arena. Now that is not happening.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
If the arena is built soon, when a Seattle based team could begin playing, 2019?

I guess it depends. I'd think 2020 for an expansion based on how long the LV decision took. However, if they relocate [insert relocation candidate team name here] I imagine they could put them in Key while SoDo is constructed and it could be a little sooner.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
If the arena is built soon, when a Seattle based team could begin playing, 2019?

Yes. Build time being 18 months

NEW: @SeattleCouncil President @bruceharrell on #SeattleArena private offer: “game changerâ€, will look to reconvene committee to discuss it.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I guess we'll find out more details soon, but I'm wondering if the funding gap is fully coming from the Hansen group or perhaps the NHL group is helping to foot the bill? I think they'll need to so they can get a good lease, assuming the arena will be privately owned now.

Also, with this development, I take it Tukwila is dead or has it been for a while?

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
I guess we'll find out more details soon, but I'm wondering if the funding gap is fully coming from the Hansen group or perhaps the NHL group is helping to foot the bill? I think they'll need to so they can get a good lease, assuming the arena will be privately owned now.

Also, with this development, I take it Tukwila is dead or has it been for a while?

Tukwila is dead since both the NHL/NBA would prefer Seattle imho

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

From CD5, reaction from KC exec. For those curious, ST3 is a proposed mass transit ballot measure that folks locally will be voting on in two weeks that calls for expansion of light rail here in Seattle, among other things. I suspect that's going to be a tough sell BTW as this plan is a 25-year plan that is being voted on.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
So what is the estimated timeline on the response to this proposal and what's the process if it is accepted and approved?

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

Those of you who can get to a radio, Ian Furness on KJR is discussing the developments and it appears he's looking at this from an NHL POV. Those of you who are outside of Seattle can get it through IHeart Radio online/apps/etc.

I should add that Furness is frankly the go-to in the media in this town when it comes to hockey as he has a hockey broadcasting background (former WHL announcer for Root and he's handling some T-Birds/PDX Winterhawks games this winter for Q13 Fox's digital channel).

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2012
Seattle

From CD5, reaction from KC exec. For those curious, ST3 is a proposed mass transit ballot measure that folks locally will be voting on in two weeks that calls for expansion of light rail here in Seattle, among other things. I suspect that's going to be a tough sell BTW as this plan is a 25-year plan that is being voted on.

No Light rail to Seattle Center till 2038, plus No funding for SC site.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
So what is the estimated timeline on the response to this proposal and what's the process if it is accepted and approved?

Since I think this takes it back to square one, I'd expect this thing to take a minimum of a couple of months or so to get off the ground. As noted earlier from another CD5 tweet that SD posted, Harrell indicated he'll look to reconvene the committee dealing with that, but this thing won't be a quick process. And with all of the time of this council seemingly being devoted to the homelessness issue right now, I'm not too sure they're going to want to deal with this right away.

That all said, the council may need to be reminded that with as much public anger as there is towards them on the homelessness question - specifically with O'Brien and Sawant - they may need something like this to generate some positive goodwill back in their direction from folks. We'll have to see how people approach this.

You may want to keep an eye on CD5's twitter feed as he's getting reaction and also listen in to KJR online via IHeart as well.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Hope more coties learn these guys have the money to buy these things on their own. I actually do think this is a signal the NBA is thinking expansion, like others have already posted.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Hope more coties learn these guys have the money to buy these things on their own. I actually do think this is a signal the NBA is thinking expansion, like others have already posted.

The discussion is that Hansen has changed the game for other sports owners as well. Owners in professional sports will not appreciate this I am sure in his option to go 100% private.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
18 months of construction, so probably 2019. Can the worse dumpster fire wait this long?

The discussion is that Hansen has changed the game for other sports owners as well. Owners in professional sports will not appreciate this I am sure in his option to go 100% private.
I wonder if the NBA will make him pay for it? Walking away from that kind of welfare is going to look bad on the rest of queens.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

No, but here's the thing, SD. David Aldridge had a good column about NBA to Seattle yesterday:

http://www.nba.com/article/2016/10/...david-aldridge&cid=nbacomsocial_tw_sf39796714

I know we're not looking at this from an NBA pov here, but this article really lays it out well about the need for the NBA to do right by Seattle and bring a team back here. So the question becomes one of whether the league really wants to do that bad enough or not. If they do, and it looks as if folks are leaning that direction, this, while it would be a big deal, really won't matter in the end. Besides, AFAIK, the new SF arena for the Warriors is also being fully paid for out of private dollars as well, and the building the Blazers play at in Portland (where the WHL's Winterhawks also play) was fully paid for by Allen. So the precedent to some degree already exists.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Considering Hansen wouldn't be the first person to privately finance a stadium, I doubt that heat would last very long. I'm just glad that it's on the table for Seattle now because it would seem to me like it'll be a lot easier of a road for this to get done. I would then wonder if it's going to be an expansion team or a relocated team because I don't know if whoever would be interested in bringing an NHL team to Seattle would want to front 500 million or try and get the Coyotes or someone else on the cheap and bring them in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad