Seattle Arena Talk - Update in #898 Hansen talks private financing

Status
Not open for further replies.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I don’t see how the MOU ever prevented the NHL coming. The city and Hanson's group was always open to having ammeded to make it NHL first.

That is providing any NHL group came to the table with funds to make it worthwhile which never did.

From what I see, today's news just buys everyone a whole whack of time provided the city approves which I don’t see any reason why they won't. At the end of the day, the NBA is still driving this bus.

Wally walker disagrees with that thought and he is part of the NBA ownership group. He basically said he guesses that NHL will come first based on interest and he said that on KJR softy.

The problem was #1 NBA first MOU. That is no longer an issue. I expect NHL movement once that street vacation gets approved.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Chris Daniels was on Prime Time sports tonight. 6pm slot approx. 20 minute mark.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/prime-time-sports/

Suggests that the city won't vote on this until December/early in the New Year...at the earliest.

Assuming it passes and likey it will, it shouldn't take too long afterwards until we know if an NHL group can work with this plan. Either the NHL is a few years away or it's another generation will pass until it does.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Chris Daniels was on Prime Time sports tonight. 6pm slot approx. 20 minute mark.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/prime-time-sports/

Suggests that the city won't vote on this until December/early in the New Year...at the earliest.

Assuming it passes and likey it will, it shouldn't take too long afterwards until we know if an NHL group can work with this plan. Either the NHL is a few years away or it's another generation will pass until it does.

I think getting the street vacation done will open can of worms in terms of NHL interest. Part of the issue was any NHL group would have to deal with Seattle politics.

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
When it comes to big time pro sports franchises and arenas I don't believe there are any coincidences. Publicity like the news releases today are all about pressure and posturing while backroom deals are negotiated. The fact that the Seattle arena group is already talking up the NHL as possibly materializing "quickly" while at the same time announcing 100% private funding suggests discussions have already taken place between stakeholders and beneficiaries.

Heck it was only three years ago that "moving trucks were literally standing by to relocate a team to Seattle."

Three sources with knowledge of negotiations confirm the Coyotes would have been bought by New York investment banker Ray Bartoszek and his partner Anthony Lanza and moved to Seattle as soon as the following day — playing up to three seasons at KeyArena — had the (Glendale) vote not passed.

"Most people don't realize how close we were to actually getting an NHL team,'' says former Seattle mayor Mike McGinn, who had been involved in the relocation talks.

The Bartoszek/Lanza group was mentioned as leading potential buyers at the time, as was a "framework" for a lease to see the Coyotes play at the KeyArena until a new arena could be financed a built, so this isn't out of left field. What is new is evidence that the NHL was ready to immediately pull the trigger on the sale and relocation if the Glendale vote had failed.

http://deadspin.com/the-coyotes-were-damned-close-to-moving-to-seattle-1643791488

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
When it comes to big time pro sports franchises and arenas I don't believe there are any coincidences. Publicity like the news releases today are all about pressure and posturing while backroom deals are negotiated. The fact that the Seattle arena group is already talking up the NHL as possibly materializing "quickly" while at the same time announcing 100% private funding suggests discussions have already taken place between stakeholders and beneficiaries.

Heck it was only three years ago that "moving trucks were literally standing by to relocate a team to Seattle."

http://deadspin.com/the-coyotes-were-damned-close-to-moving-to-seattle-1643791488

I still think Seattle is getting expansion instead of a relocation team.

I do not see any western market that would be willing to pay 500m for expansion. I had issues with 500m on Seattle before but with today's news that $$ issue changes.

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
I still think Seattle is getting expansion instead of a relocation team.

I do not see any western market that would be willing to pay 500m for expansion. I had issues with 500m on Seattle before but with today's news that $$ issue changes.

Big dollar expansion is for desperate markets/owners like Vegas and QC. Seattle ownership groups are just biding their time. Here's a description from an insider of Bartoszek and Lanza's demeanor...

Early in the conversations, Councilman Tim Burgess said it was apparent the New York investors had a different message than Hansen, who wants to return the Sonics to Seattle.

“One of them clearly had more sports motivation than the other,†Burgess said. “The other one was very business-oriented and was looking for an investment that would have long-term benefits. Neither one of them struck me as Chris Hansen, who I’m sure has a business orientation towards the NBA, but clearly has a lot of Seattle motivation and basketball motivation.

“They didn’t strike me as having that. They spoke very highly of Seattle as a media market and recognized as it relates to the NHL that this market had great potential and had not been tapped and they wanted to be hopefully a part of that. Beyond that they weren’t that detailed.â€

A couple interesting tidbits from the same article...

A Hansen representative introduced Bartoszek and Lanza to local officials, which began discussions about the NHL in Seattle two weeks ago.

Bartoszek, 48, is a resident of Greenwich, Conn. and graduated from the United States Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point in 1986. He made a fortune as an oil trader for Glencore International, a Switzerland-based giant commodities trader. His wife, Lydia, is a Seattle native.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/hockey/little-known-about-potential-coyotesrsquo-buyers/

Grudy0

Mar 16, 2011
Maryland

Three sources with knowledge of negotiations confirm the Coyotes would have been bought by New York investment banker Ray Bartoszek and his partner Anthony Lanza and moved to Seattle as soon as the following day — playing up to three seasons at KeyArena — had the (Glendale) vote not passed.

"Most people don't realize how close we were to actually getting an NHL team,'' says former Seattle mayor Mike McGinn, who had been involved in the relocation talks.

The Bartoszek/Lanza group was mentioned as leading potential buyers at the time, as was a "framework" for a lease to see the Coyotes play at the KeyArena until a new arena could be financed a built, so this isn't out of left field. What is new is evidence that the NHL was ready to immediately pull the trigger on the sale and relocation if the Glendale vote had failed.

I'm not trying to start something, but nothing has truly changed since then, right? Other than new ownership that many believe is a puppet regime for the NHL - there's been no real change as that exact team is leaseless after the season and although there's been talk of a new arena, there's been no binding agreement to extend the existing lease nor no agreement with any other entity to build a new arena there. In other words, at this time, that franchise is still portable after season's end.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
To balance the conferences, NHL Seattle would most likely be an expansion team rather than relocation.

With 18 month arena "build" schedule, and other "delays" that might happen WRT NHL expansion (BOG meeting schedule, agenda/discussion/decision -- all take time), I'd think that being able to start play by 2018 is very aggressive and 2019 is more realistic (as of today). Unless they have an architect's plan for arena on the shelf, there could easily be 6-12 months in planning/preparation/approvals of the building itself before the first shovel hits the ground.

Now, if they have agreement for interim arena while new one is being built, perhaps 2018 is realistic. Not to mention the lead time for expansion draft desired by GMs.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
So with the recent news, I started thinking about this. Before the news the impression I got from reading here is that Seattle does not pass these things lightly. Contrast that with the Sacremento situation (which involved Seattle) and you saw a city that caved while the team accepted some limitations from what I understand.

Are certain cities just more able to push back than others because of how important pro sports is to one city vs another? Are certain cities just filled with smarter councils? Does Seattle have a different suburb-city environment compared to Atlanta/Braves, Phoenix/Coyotes/Cardinals, Rangers/Arlington, etc?

If you're the NHL/NBA, do you even like this move?

I think if you are the NHL/NBA, you hate this move, because quite frankly, your owners hate this move. Municipalities will start pointing at San Francisco, Orlando, Las Vegas, Seattle and state 'See? They paid it 100%, why can't you?'

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
I'm not trying to start something, but nothing has truly changed since then, right? Other than new ownership that many believe is a puppet regime for the NHL - there's been no real change as that exact team is leaseless after the season and although there's been talk of a new arena, there's been no binding agreement to extend the existing lease nor no agreement with any other entity to build a new arena there. In other words, at this time, that franchise is still portable after season's end.

We don't know what Bartoszek et al. will do with Hansen et al. Anything along that line is possible, imho.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Great news, Seattle deserves a team and where the NHL should rightfully expand.

I guess the arena being privately funded makes it MORE imperative that an NHL team come either before or after an NBA team as Hanson would need the rent fees even greater now to make a profit and cover construction.

Rick Deckard

Mar 30, 2006
Germany
To balance the conferences, NHL Seattle would most likely be an expansion team rather than relocation.

Not neccessarily.

Move a west team to Seattle ... the league stays at 31 teams, 15/16 spread
Move a east team to Seattle ... the league stays at 31 teams, 16/15 spread
Move a east team to Seattle, start an expansion team in Quebec ... the league has 32 teams, evenly spread.
Start an expansion team in Seattle ... the league has 32 teams, evenly spread.

The only thing that doesn't work is expansion in Quebec City

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
To provide some context for all of you from out of town as to the street in question that would need to be "vacated" or permanently closed in order for the arena project to proceed:

This is Occidental Ave., photo taken by KCPQ reporter John Hopperstad as noted in his time stamp on the tweet around 6:30 this morning well before sunrise. Hopperstad this morning has been down there doing live reports pointing out the traffic - or lack thereof - on the street, something which other media have done in the past including Daniels. The most recent live shot they just had - and which I watched live - showed some traffic, but it was all passenger vehicles using the street as a shortcut to get around traffic on nearby 1st Ave. S., and no semis or other commercial vehicles aligned perhaps with the Port or businesses using their facilities.

Speaking of KCPQ,

http://q13fox.com/2016/10/25/chris-...ic-financing-for-potential-supersonics-arena/

Their story from last night includes a short commentary from their sports guy Aaron Levine, and I would also suggest for you folks who use Twitter he will be a good follow on this subject as well. His Twitter handle is @AaronQ13Fox.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
I don’t see how the MOU ever prevented the NHL coming. The city and Hanson's group was always open to having ammeded to make it NHL first.

The MOU was only for basketball first. Hansen's group was open to adopting NHL 1st but the city was a lot more coy. For NHL 1st the current MOU would have to be completely redone. With now 100% private, the city no longer would get ownership of the building nor upgrades to Key Arena.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

This here is of Occidental during the daytime, for those who couldn't make out the street from the earlier tweet, and was taken around 9:00 this morning by the KCPQ crew as noted in the previous post I put up earlier. The guy in the middle of the shot is Hopperstad, their reporter. And yes, he's drenched, it's raining like crazy here in Seattle today.

Willis

Aug 2, 2005
If Seattle gets all its ducks in a row it will be team #32. The question then turns to who moves to the Central from the Pacific as Seattle would slot into the Pacific. My thinking is that one way to solve it is Edmonton and Calgary to the Central with Colorado going to the Pacific?

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
If Seattle gets all its ducks in a row it will be team #32. The question then turns to who moves to the Central from the Pacific as Seattle would slot into the Pacific. My thinking is that one way to solve it is Edmonton and Calgary to the Central with Colorado going to the Pacific?

Probably we'll see a change in the system if we get a 32nd team. Go back to 6 or go to 8 divisions or whatever. Or Northeast, Southeast, Northwest, and Southwest. Something.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

That would be the easiest realignment, but Flames/Oilers may both not like the loss of the rivalry with Vancouver. They get the one with Winnipeg in its place though so it might be a wash.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

That doesn't make sense Colorado is more east than Edmonton and Calgary are.

Coyotes to central is probably what i see happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad