Seattle Arena Talk - Update in #898 Hansen talks private financing

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Many opportunities that want to pay the fee??? Only two as a matter of fact as it relates to the NHL. What you believe about if we build it they will come does not mean **** to many of us here in Seattle. We don't need the NBA/NHL, would like to have them, but not at the current sticker price. And it does not suck to be an NHL fan just because we don't have a team. I will still be a fan.

No...my point wasn't about a franchise fee but about an existing house for a franchise.

Quebec, Vegas, KC, Portland...to name those few have an existing arena.

Seattle is competing against all those cities on the simple fact that Seattle wants to have the team to be packed up in moving trucks before unpacking shovels and starting work on arena.

So, really, Seattle could be granted a free franchise and there still would not be an arena built in the next 5 years.

j1012

Dec 8, 2014
No...my point wasn't about a franchise fee but about an existing house for a franchise.

Seattle is competing against all those cities on the simple fact that Seattle wants to have the team to be packed up in moving trucks before unpacking shovels and starting work on arena.

So, really, Seattle could be granted a free franchise and there still would not be an arena built in the next 5 years.

IMO, If a free franchise was granted then private investors would take over and the arena would be built as 100% private.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio

I am not sure what your point is here in the Seattle thread. Seattle is not competing with ANYONE at this point except itself. Nobody in Seattle has applied for a franchise.

And my point was of all those available houses only two applied at that fee, but I think you knew my point.

Like I said in the post you quoted, it is no big deal if the NHL is here or not, but a building will not be built without some promise of NBA/NHL. We here are OK with that even insist on it. If that is not good enough for you well I don't give a ****. If it's not good enough for NHL or NBA than I think we will survive that as well!!

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Some interesting stuff but what one would hope is going on in the background. I am sure the port will be over the fact that Key Arena was being mentioned.

No one isn't even going to touch it. And given the city is expected to lose money while its shut down for renovation makes it even more unlikely.

The port really needs to get back to reality that the side road in question barely gets any traffic and the Heavy freight route is south of holgate per legislation that the port was involved to getting it passed with City of Seattle. It doesn't even cover that section of street north of Holgate. And they know it too.

That legislation is ammo against the Port of Seattle.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

based upon much of what has been said--the seattle guys are aiming for a relocation team and not an expansion team--so they would not have to pay the $500mill expansion fee. My guess is that if the seattle bid gets something arrange for the arena and try to buy an nhl team and move them to seatle--NHL will say they got to pay the NHL a lot of money to move the team there.

I think there is more problems to the bid then just the arena--I do not think the bidders want to pay the expansion fee. Which makes sense--how may NHL teams are worth 500mill us?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
based upon much of what has been said--the seattle guys are aiming for a relocation team and not an expansion team--so they would not have to pay the $500mill expansion fee. My guess is that if the seattle bid gets something arrange for the arena and try to buy an nhl team and move them to seatle--NHL will say they got to pay the NHL a lot of money to move the team there.

I think there is more problems to the bid then just the arena--I do not think the bidders want to pay the expansion fee. Which makes sense--how may NHL teams are worth 500mill us?

I don't think NHL would really demand a high asking price for current team from a Seattle based group.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I don't think NHL would really demand a high asking price for current team from a Seattle based group.

I think they would. Combined with sale price a relo fee would probably bring it up to what it would cost for expansion imo. Only seems fair to those applying for expansion. Now the current fee I do think is too high and therefore makes it unlikely for Seattle either way.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
If you read the Coyotes thread, a reporter out of Glendale tweeted a few days ago that Coyotes are talking to Seattle and Portland recently.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
If you read the Coyotes thread, a reporter out of Glendale tweeted a few days ago that Coyotes are talking to Seattle and Portland recently.

Just read the whole thread and Unless one of the NHL insiders says something I'm not worrying about it. Is it out of the realm of possibilities? Absolutely not.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
re: the MOU, does it matter who owns the NHL team?

If Hansen gets the NBA team, then it doesn't matter. If the NHL wants the arena built with just hockey, then it becomes the issue of having enough money in order to appease seattle city council, King county council and Hansen for NHL first to happen.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Ugh!! There is risk no matter how an arena is financed, whether it is fully private or subsidized in part by the public, it just comes down to the degree of risk in the project. That is the same for any new arena in any city as it pertains to professional sports. The risks are obviously known by all parties and an MOU was reached based on those risks in the case of Seattle. Whether there will ever be a building is far from being a reality, which you obviously know, but continue to beat up a subject we here in Seattle are well aware of. Every time a little bit of the story changes we like to discuss it but not rehash old arguments from outside Seattle (at least for me is very tiresome and distracts from our discussion) that feel some sort of threat from a building that does not exist and will not for the foreseeable future.

Is the MOU viewed as the best option for the NHL, as has been stated numerous times from those of us in Seattle, no it is not. Would a privately funded arena be best, of course. But at an expansion fee of $500m I see absolutely no reason for any private investor or the city to get involved in such a risky investment. The NHL should look to those places that can and are more willing/able to take that risk. I believe that there are only two of them.

Eminent Domain also counts in the public subsidy.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
If Hansen gets the NBA team, then it doesn't matter. If the NHL wants the arena built with just hockey, then it becomes the issue of having enough wmoney in order to appease seattle city council, King county council and Hansen for NHL first to happen.

Doesn't Hansen have some kind of understanding with Coleman? I guess they were just talking or something.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Doesn't Hansen have some kind of understanding with Coleman? I guess they were just talking or something.

It was non binding. Details never came out of what that was about.

Coleman recently said he wants to go further than that non binding agreement.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Any Private/Public partnership on the scale of this will have some risk. You have to look at how much Hansen and his group can mitigate that risk vs reward for the city, and I think he has done well in regards to that.

I agree. People seem to complain more about the fact that Seattle seems to get it done when its comes to P3 sports facilities but rather hide behind the taxpayer issue. Granted, Seattle did get support from the State Legislature in both the Safeco and C-Link cases (the latter approved by state initiative) but they got the owners to shell out for major portions of the construction costs and for cost overruns.

The real difference is that they two previous cases had tenants already there that needed it. This is building an arena without the guarantee that they would get the NBA tenant, let alone the NHL.

Kodi

Jun 24, 2013
Here is a good summary that King County put out about the MOU. I think people get stuck on the city lending $200 when in fact at most the city is on the hook for lending $120 million and King County is on the hook for $5/$80 million depending on if one or both teams are secured.

Click Me

Another thing to note is once the street vacation is approved and master permit is issued Hansen COULD start building the arena before acquiring a team but he needs a NBA team in order to start receiving any funding from the City/County

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Here is a good summary that King County put out about the MOU. I think people get stuck on the city lending $200 when in fact at most the city is on the hook for lending $120 million and King County is on the hook for $5/$80 million depending on if one or both teams are secured.

Click Me

Another thing to note is once the street vacation is approved and master permit is issued Hansen COULD start building the arena before acquiring a team but he needs a NBA team in order to start receiving any funding from the City/County

Which comes first, the chicken or the egg... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad