Buffalo Bills Season's End: The Off-Seasons Starts Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Yea I don’t know why teams don’t get that in OT in the playoffs.

I think Romo made the point that they might have wanted to give their defense a breather, which I can understand...but with the new rules going 2nd is such an advantage. College teams figured this out a long time ago.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
I think Romo made the point that they might have wanted to give their defense a breather, which I can understand...but with the new rules going 2nd is such an advantage. College teams figured this out a long time ago.
The problem is the team that gets the ball first has a HUGE advantage if both teams score a td in their first possession.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Thats why you defer
With their D being gassed I could sort of understand receiving first. But you gotta be willing to go for the TD and 2 point conversion. Make it so if you maximize your points, the worst case scenario is you get the ball back and only need a FG to win

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
1. idk how you kick on 4th and 4 and don’t assume Mahomes is inevitable

2. If Allen had either of these defenses, the Bills have a ring. It’s insane how hard the DL specifically has no-showed in the past 3 divisional games. No pressures and they barely force any punts or turnovers
The dline couldn't get pressure because the middle was overwhelmed against both the run and pass. Mahomes never had to hold the ball against us. Everything ties together.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Is this shit scripted? Seriously, why did KC look like ass all year, and then every team they played in the playoffs pissed it away? Bills had a chance, Ravens had a chance, Niners.. just falling over themselves to lose. Yay
Really gotta give Romo credit. Mahomes really wasn't into it through at least the first quarter, almost the full first half, but Romo kept at it through the long halftime, second half, and the full OT quarter, and was finally rewarded with the mouthful load he wanted.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
Is this shit scripted? Seriously, why did KC look like ass all year, and then every team they played in the playoffs pissed it away? Bills had a chance, Ravens had a chance, Niners.. just falling over themselves to lose. Yay
Kelce didn’t take the game winning pass.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
So if the Diggs marries katy Perry and josh fake injects himself for 40 million and we get billy ray cyrus daughter to breed w our pied piper of hamlin will they leave buffalo teams alone and actually play unfooked with sports and see who wins,,, Nah . Playing actual sports is apparently Pejorative Slured.

PatLaFontaineASMR

Jul 9, 2014
Parts Unkown
1. idk how you kick on 4th and 4 and don’t assume Mahomes is inevitable

2. If Allen had either of these defenses, the Bills have a ring. It’s insane how hard the DL specifically has no-showed in the past 3 divisional games. No pressures and they barely force any punts or turnovers
It's crazy how after 2020 the focus was to build the defense to stop Mahomes. Spent a ton of high picks on Rousseau, Epenesa, and Basham. Spent money on Von Miller, DaQuan Jones, Leonard Floyd, and Tim Settle.

So much money & assets spent to still end up with 0 sacks and little pressure.

Pathetic from our defensive coaching staff & players.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
I hate the Chiefs. I found it more frustrating than the Patriots run of greatness because during most or all of that run the Bills weren't competitive. As a team they weren't anywhere near the Patriots. This Bills team is in the conversation with the Chiefs however the Chiefs are still better because they win when it matters most. The Chiefs in the playoffs are the final boss in a video game. Maybe one day Buffalo will defeat them however that day has yet to come.

Reactions: kirby11

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
If we're going to learn one lesson from the Chiefs, it's how fast you can reinvigorate your defense with a youth movement.

Maybe, just maybe, our defense is always getting injured, slowing down, and sputtering out in the playoffs has something to do with it being the senior citizen club. I know McDermott values smart vets that know what to do. But in the playoffs, that only gets you so far. Our D needs a youth movement in the worst way. Actually let them play through the growing pains and they'll have the smarts you cover eventually.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Only postseason games Mahomes has lost in the past 5 seasons were the COVID season Super Bowl vs Brady (who had home field advantage) and the 2022 AFC Championship game vs Burrow (and if not for the ghost of the Generalisimo Marvin era Bungles and losing on stupid penalties rearing it's ugly head he would've done it twice).

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
If we're going to learn one lesson from the Chiefs, it's how fast you can reinvigorate your defense with a youth movement.

Maybe, just maybe, our defense is always getting injured, slowing down, and sputtering out in the playoffs has something to do with it being the senior citizen club. I know McDermott values smart vets that know what to do. But in the playoffs, that only gets you so far. Our D needs a youth movement in the worst way. Actually let them play through the growing pains and they'll have the smarts you cover eventually.
Players I would replace with "random cheap young guy or draft pick" just for the sake of getting younger: Poyer, Hyde, Rapp, Settle, Phillips, Ford, Jackson, Lawson, Floyd. I'm having a long think on White and leaning toward cutting him if he can't be converted to FS on a cheaper deal.

Epenesa and Daquan the only FAs I'm considering bringing back on defense.

Maybe one of the reason we've struggled to find stars is because average veterans are clogging up lanes to those guys playing?

Reactions: buffa dud

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Maybe, just maybe, our defense always getting injured, slowing down, and sputtering out in the playoffs has something to do with it being the senior citizen club. I know McDermott values smart vets that know what to do. But in the playoffs, that only gets you so far. Our D needs a youth movement in the worst way. Actually let them play through the growing pains and they'll have the smarts you cover eventually.

The lesson to be learned from the Chiefs is that there isn't one way to win a Super Bowl. The Chiefs won this year with a very stout D and an offense that did what it needed to when it needed to. Last year, they won with a very good offense and a D that did what it needed to when it needed to.

And if you think about the age of our D.....it's not that bad if you ignore the safeties. Rousseau is still on his 1st deal, Oliver is on his 2nd, Benford is on his 1st, Bernard is on his first. Taron is just ending his 2nd while Milano is in the middle of a restructure/extension on his 2nd. So again, if you ignore the safeties we're OK age-wise. We need to get younger and faster at safety. We need DTs (kind of period, young would help) and we could use another young DE to pair with Rousseau....assuming Miller is nothing more than a rotational pass rusher going forward.

But yeah.....at the risk of offending the "WR at all costs" club.....I think I'm more than OK if we go D-line and safety with our first 2 picks in the draft. It's needed.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
1. Injuries/another DL collapse/multiple players on the Chiefs come up big in the playoffs every year whereas only Josh really did for the Bills

2. Get BAL down by 10 in the playoffs and they lose their minds

3. Shanahan stinks in big games, Purdy sorta turned into a pumpkin, and as is the case for seemingly every opponent against KC in the playoffs, they had terrible injury and fumble luck. Greenway tore his Achilles just trying to run onto the field and KC basically got a free 7 points off a muffed punt

Reactions: Dubi Doo

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Players I would replace with "random cheap young guy or draft pick" just for the sake of getting younger: Poyer, Hyde, Rapp, Settle, Phillips, Ford, Jackson, Lawson, Floyd. I'm having a long think on White and leaning toward cutting him if he can't be converted to FS on a cheaper deal.

Epenesa and Daquan the only FAs I'm considering bringing back on defense.

Maybe one of the reason we've struggled to find stars is because average veterans are clogging up lanes to those guys playing?
I also think they over-prioritize smarts/football IQ/reliability in physically limited players vs taking swings on being able to coach up more raw players who could make more good or bad game-changing plays on defense (see Klein playing over Williams to start the KC game) and fear they will continue using that approach given how horribly the Elam experiment has gone. Specifically with the DBs, it’s aggravating how so many 50-50 balls against us feel like 70-30 balls for the offense

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I also think they over-prioritize smarts/football IQ/reliability in physically limited players vs taking swings on being able to coach up more raw players who could make more good or bad game-changing plays on defense (see Klein playing over Williams to start the KC game) and fear they will continue using that approach given how horribly the Elam experiment has gone. Specifically with the DBs, it’s aggravating how so many 50-50 balls against us feel like 70-30 balls for the offense
It's especially annoying for DBs because they've done such a good job coaching up guys! So many guys have overplayed what they should be in our secondary, including Poyer and Hyde themselves! Imagine how big a homerun it would be if they could take a raw physical specimen and coach his game up to superstar.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
3. Shanahan stinks in big games, Purdy sorta turned into a pumpkin, and as is the case for seemingly every opponent against KC in the playoffs, they had terrible injury and fumble luck. Greenway tore his Achilles just trying to run onto the field and KC basically got a free 7 points off a muffed punt

I don't know that Shanahan really did much wrong. Yeah, I would have liked to see him run the ball a little more......but otherwise......KC got pressure on Purdy. Purdy and Tua are cut from the same cloth -- if they can be on time and in rhythm, they can be deadly. Get them off their rhythm, they're decidedly average.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
The lesson to be learned from the Chiefs is that there isn't one way to win a Super Bowl. The Chiefs won this year with a very stout D and an offense that did what it needed to when it needed to. Last year, they won with a very good offense and a D that did what it needed to when it needed to.

And if you think about the age of our D.....it's not that bad if you ignore the safeties. Rousseau is still on his 1st deal, Oliver is on his 2nd, Benford is on his 1st, Bernard is on his first. Taron is just ending his 2nd while Milano is in the middle of a restructure/extension on his 2nd. So again, if you ignore the safeties we're OK age-wise. We need to get younger and faster at safety. We need DTs (kind of period, young would help) and we could use another young DE to pair with Rousseau....assuming Miller is nothing more than a rotational pass rusher going forward.

But yeah.....at the risk of offending the "WR at all costs" club.....I think I'm more than OK if we go D-line and safety with our first 2 picks in the draft. It's needed.
In 2023 it was too old at safety and DL. It's kind of a blessing so many of those exact guys are on expiring or cuttable deals, because it makes turning the page a lot easier.

Milano and Johnson are going to start to get old, but i don't expect them to move on from their two best defenders.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
What was Kelce yelling at Reid for ? I saw a quick clip of it but never heard an explanation....That was super disrespectful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad