Salary Cap: Season starts soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I disagree with the bold. Perron-Geno-Hornqvist could be an incredibly good line imo. Its everything Malone-Geno-Sykora was, but both wings are better.

You could be right, I hold out hope that the line in time would develop chemistry and be a dominant force.

Trading Hornqvist right now isn't a must, just a thought. Give that line through Christmas and lets see what we have. But if it still isn't clicking at that point, a trade for a wing with elite speed shouldn't be out of question.

PS... and please note that you don't have to insult people to make your point.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
You could be right, I hold out hope that the line in time would develop chemistry and be a dominant force.

Trading Hornqvist right now isn't a must, just a thought. Give that line through Christmas and lets see what we have. But if it still isn't clicking at that point, a trade for a wing with elite speed shouldn't be out of question.

First, I am very skeptical of Johnston putting a skilled winger (Perron, Bennett) on Malkin's LW opposite Hornqvist. Without that skilled winger on the other side, I think they might struggle.

Second, I am skeptical of Johnston's decision to use the forwards to cover the defense where last year Crosby ended up playing a large portion of the time with Scuderi. Hornqvist & Malkin will likely succeed if given a defender with a shot; it can't be Scuderi or Lovejoy.

Third, if Malkin with Hornqvist, a skilled winger, and defender with a good shot are still not being productive then why not move Kessel to Malkin's line?

I don't understand why trading Hornqvist, trading Perron, or banishing either to the third line is considered the first alternatives. There is a ton of other combinations to try first.

I think the theory behind having Sesito is to have him deter any borderline players on other teams going after our stars to make a name for themselves.

Someone should memo the coaches that hockey never worked like that and it still doesn't. If someone like Rinaldo wants to go after Letang, Sestito isn't going to stop him.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
where is the idea that Geno needs someone with elite speed coming from? His best seasons have come with Malone, Sykora, Neal, Kunitz, Talbot and Fedatenko. Not an abundance of high end speed there. I'm not saying he couldn't play with elite speed, but its certainly not something we've ever seen. Hell, the fastest player he's played with for any extended length of time is Dupuis, and he was one of the worst fits on Geno's wing we've ever tried.

I just don't see the value in trading away our 2nd best wing and hoping we get someone who does better for him.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
First, I am very skeptical of Johnston putting a skilled winger (Perron, Bennett) on Malkin's LW opposite Hornqvist. Without that skilled winger on the other side, I think they might struggle.

Second, I am skeptical of Johnston's decision to use the forwards to cover the defense where last year Crosby ended up playing a large portion of the time with Scuderi. Hornqvist & Malkin will likely succeed if given a defender with a shot; it can't be Scuderi or Lovejoy.

Third, if Malkin with Hornqvist, a skilled winger, and defender with a good shot are still not being productive then why not move Kessel to Malkin's line?

I don't understand why trading Hornqvist, trading Perron, or banishing either to the third line is considered the first alternative. There is a ton of other combinations to try first.

Someone should memo the coaches that hockey never worked like that and it still doesn't. If someone like Rinaldo wants to go after Letang, Sestito isn't going to stop him.

A bad coach should never be our reason for trading good players. We have a lot of very good forwards right now. If our coach can't make our top 6 work with who we have, he shouldn't be our coach any longer.

ps: I'm not disagreeing with you, just adding on.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
If the 8 defensemen the Pens keep include Lovejoy, Scuderi & Gonchar, it's going to be a long season.

I think Sundqvist has looked better than Wilson or Sestito.

Also I really hope the Pens don't waste a roster spot, contract, & cap space on Sestito.

Just when you think an off-season has gone relatively well, there are danger signs all over the place.

We're not even halfway through the pre-season games yet...

I mean, it would have been utterly shocking if the experienced NHLers on PTOs had been put in group A with the AHLers. Those guys are in camp to see if they can stick on the NHL team. If not, they won't get contracts. There's no point in putting them with group A.

As much as I'd like to see Scuderi put in group A, that's just not going to happen either. And I doubt you could find a coach for any team in the NHL who would do that. It should be based solely on merit, but that's never the case. I find it irritating, but it's just not worth getting worked up over.

As for which prospect is with group B, that seems to change on a daily basis. I'd read more into it if the Pens were going into pre-season game 7 or 8, but not when it's only going to be game 4 (of 8) tomorrow.

I'm more curious to see who gets sent down soon. I'd expect there to be another group going later today to join the WB/S training camp.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
We're not even halfway through the pre-season games yet...

I mean, it would have been utterly shocking if the experienced NHLers on PTOs had been put in group A with the AHLers. Those guys are in camp to see if they can stick on the NHL team. If not, they won't get contracts. There's no point in putting them with group A.

As much as I'd like to see Scuderi put in group A, that's just not going to happen either. And I doubt you could find a coach for any team in the NHL who would do that. It should be based solely on merit, but that's never the case. I find it irritating, but it's just not worth getting worked up over.

As for which prospect is with group B, that seems to change on a daily basis. I'd read more into it if the Pens were going into pre-season game 7 or 8, but not when it's only going to be game 4 (of 8) tomorrow.

I'm more curious to see who gets sent down soon. I'd expect there to be another group going later today to join the WB/S training camp.

My problem isn't Scuderi, Lovejoy, Gonchar, or Sestito in group B.

My problem is Clendening, Erixon, Sprong & Sundqvist in group A.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

So the pens should think about trading a winger who had 50points in 60 gms last year.......:shakehead and replace him with whom? I dont even think it should be a thought. Him and geno play just fine together, if they dont put malkin with kessel. And hornqvist back with crosby, there, problem fixed. No need for a trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad