Season Preview: Montreal Canadiens

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=461407

Nothing earth shattering but a nice little piece on the upcoming season.

Interesting read. Taking a look at some statistics from last season, it's hard to overlook the fact that Montreal finished the season 11-3-1 with Vanek in the lineup. He sucked in the playoffs but he really helped the team in the end. I guess I'm the only one who wouldn't have mind signing him.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Good little overview.

I like the Habs better this year than last. I can see us finishing in the top 3 or 4 in the division as they now have the confidence and past success that showed them what they're capable of.

Also, a lot of additions by subtraction should help improve this team this year not to mention the maturation of several of our younger players into young vets.

PAP on the wing should provide an offensive upside over Gio. Briere was pretty much useless in his role last year and should easily be surpassed by Sekac even if he's limited in his role. Bringing in Beau and Tinner over Bou and Murray can't be seen as anything but an upgrade, not to mention Gilbert over Gorges to help anchor our 2nd PP which was completely futile last year. A 2nd unit of Beau and Gilbert should be ver complimentary to a 1st unit of Markov and PK.

PK will have a lot to prove after his banner contract and has shown he's used to playing to the pressure of the situation. I'd look to him to be a lot more defensively responsible than in the past and put up big numbers. He won't be held back in the fist 20 games like he was last year and that should help him be that much better and relied upon as the habs go to defender. Galchenyuk will be in his 3rd year and will hopefully have the year and be given the chance to produce at a level he's expected to. Gallagher will be a great addition to the top line and benefit from Patches and DD as he did last year. Add to that Eller and Bork developed quite a bit of chemistry and hopefully can build on that to secure a 3rd line that will have size, speed, skill and be very physical.

The 4th line will also be much improved with Malhotra and Prust playing to his role and not in a top 9.

Price has shown that he's matured and developed into the world class goalie he was destined to be and a leader in the dressing room. I'd imagine he'd have a banner year after being beat out by Bishop and Varlamov in the Vezina voting last year.

I don't think I'm being overly homer in saying a top 3-4 finish is pretty expected. Out of all the teams in the division, I see Tampa as the only one that got significantly better and most teams only got weaker. Boston is aging and will lose some depth to get under the cap. Toronto, well nuff said. Pittsburgh lost 2 very important defensemen and a top power forward. Philly is a cluster****, Ottawa is even worse. If we can trade Budaj and to keep Tokarski we'd also have quite abit of cash in the bank to be able to pull another Vanek type trade during the year and help hopefully get even deeper into playoffs.
I think a lineup like the one we'll have going into the season can do some damage and get batter as the year goes on.

Patches DD Gally
Chucky Plex PAP
Sekac Eller Bork
Prust Malholtra Weise

Markov PK
Emelin Gilbert
Beau Weaver
Tinner Pateryn

Price
Tokarski

PernellsWhiteAmi

Long Live Chappelle
Oct 24, 2009
Vermont/Montreal
Good little overview.

I like the Habs better this year than last. I can see us finishing in the top 3 or 4 in the division as they now have the confidence and past success that showed them what they're capable of.

Also, a lot of additions by subtraction should help improve this team this year not to mention the maturation of several of our younger players into young vets.

PAP on the wing should provide an offensive upside over Gio. Briere was pretty much useless in his role last year and should easily be surpassed by Sekac even if he's limited in his role. Bringing in Beau and Tinner over Bou and Murray can't be seen as anything but an upgrade, not to mention Gilbert over Gorges to help anchor our 2nd PP which was completely futile last year. A 2nd unit of Beau and Gilbert should be ver complimentary to a 1st unit of Markov and PK.

PK will have a lot to prove after his banner contract and has shown he's used to playing to the pressure of the situation. I'd look to him to be a lot more defensively responsible than in the past and put up big numbers. He won't be held back in the fist 20 games like he was last year and that should help him be that much better and relied upon as the habs go to defender. Galchenyuk will be in his 3rd year and will hopefully have the year and be given the chance to produce at a level he's expected to. Gallagher will be a great addition to the top line and benefit from Patches and DD as he did last year. Add to that Eller and Bork developed quite a bit of chemistry and hopefully can build on that to secure a 3rd line that will have size, speed, skill and be very physical.

The 4th line will also be much improved with Malhotra and Prust playing to his role and not in a top 9.

Price has shown that he's matured and developed into the world class goalie he was destined to be and a leader in the dressing room. I'd imagine he'd have a banner year after being beat out by Bishop and Varlamov in the Vezina voting last year.

I don't think I'm being overly homer in saying a top 3-4 finish is pretty expected. Out of all the teams in the division, I see Tampa as the only one that got significantly better and most teams only got weaker. Boston is aging and will lose some depth to get under the cap. Toronto, well nuff said. Pittsburgh lost 2 very important defensemen and a top power forward. Philly is a cluster****, Ottawa is even worse. If we can trade Budaj and to keep Tokarski we'd also have quite abit of cash in the bank to be able to pull another Vanek type trade during the year and help hopefully get even deeper into playoffs.
I think a lineup like the one we'll have going into the season can do some damage and get batter as the year goes on.

Patches DD Gally
Chucky Plex PAP
Sekac Eller Bork
Prust Malholtra Weise

Markov PK
Emelin Gilbert
Beau Weaver
Tinner Pateryn

Price
Tokarski

I agree with pretty much everything you are saying, and I also agree with your lines. That's exactly what I would put out. I think PAP being a passer more than a shooter would excel on that line and it would give Galchenyuk more time with the puck.

I'm also happy you noted that our young guys are progressing. Too many people think that we are going to be a worse team than last year because we didn't replace Vanek. However, you add another year to the development of Eller, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, and you (hopefully) have more offense this upcoming season than you did last season.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I'm pretty surprised by the quality of this article, it's not ground breaking stuff but there's actually more than just bland generic fluff.

Button's prospect ranking is pretty interesting (It's always a bit off the board with him)
Andrighetto being 8th
McCarron not even listed

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Good article, JDLR is most certainly the best prospect in my mind and will be a difference maker for the Habs sooner than later. All four of Craig's picks are dead on IMHO, and as WTK says possibly trading our 1st round pick with Fucale might earn the Habs the pick necessary to draft N.Roy. Scherbak will be a top six player for the Habs within 3-4 yrs, and N.Roy if the Habs can draft him, a line could be made from putting these 3 together.

Scherbak (RW) - N.Roy (C) - J.De la Rose (LW)

Sure looks good on paper, all the requisite talents in making a top six line, with good development and not rushing our prospects.

The other A grade went to Lehkonen, whose play in Frolunda is already looking far better than Collberg's in Frolunda. The Finn seems to have it all, if he can avoid injuries a good career as a Hab is almost guaranteed.:handclap:

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Button's prospect ranking is pretty interesting (It's always a bit off the board with him)
Andrighetto being 8th
McCarron not even listed

Grégoire 6th was a stunning one too. He must really think he's an absolute lock to play in the NHL and be more than a 4th liner.

McCarron is basically ''just a guy'' in the eyes of several prospect watchers at this point. Hard to blame anyone for leaving him out of the top 10.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Beaulieu is going to have a great season. He seems to be maturing. Good size, great speed and an offensive flair.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Just a question since this is regarding a TSN article, but is Darren Dreger meant to be impartial or is he their reporter for the Leafs?

I guess I just thought TSN was supposed to be a Canadian thing and most of their guys (McKenzie, Reid, Button, etc) are all basically impartial to any team, except Dreger. He's really out there, and clearly has a stiffy for Toronto and takes pot shots at Montreal whenever he can.

Example: Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 4m
Dreger (on the new diving rule) "do you think Michele Therien is getting twitchy?"

It's pretty common knowledge that every team has divers, so why else would he hand pick Montreal out of the pack if not for a personal bias against a particular team when his job should rely on impartiality.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Just a question since this is regarding a TSN article, but is Darren Dreger meant to be impartial or is he their reporter for the Leafs?

I guess I just thought TSN was supposed to be a Canadian thing and most of their guys (McKenzie, Reid, Button, etc) are all basically impartial to any team, except Dreger. He's really out there, and clearly has a stiffy for Toronto and takes pot shots at Montreal whenever he can.

Example: Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke 4m
Dreger (on the new diving rule) "do you think Michele Therien is getting twitchy?"

It's pretty common knowledge that every team has divers, so why else would he hand pick Montreal out of the pack if not for a personal bias against a particular team when his job should rely on impartiality.

Darren Dreger has a punchable face, not unlike Josh Ramsay (otherwise likeable) or Justin Bieber (nothing needs said).

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Darren Dreger has a punchable face, not unlike Josh Ramsay (otherwise likeable) or Justin Bieber (nothing needs said).

Has he ever been referred to as a Leafs insider on air? I'm really curious what his title and obligation is meant to be because he's being a puke.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Has he ever been referred to as a Leafs insider on air? I'm really curious what his title and obligation is meant to be because he's being a puke.

Isn't he married to Nonis' daughter, or some such incestual relationship? Dreger is the worst, because unlike many others, he's smart enough to know better.

The worst troll on TSN. An embarrassment to "journalism". And a smug SOB on top of it.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
Isn't he married to Nonis' daughter, or some such incestual relationship? Dreger is the worst, because unlike many others, he's smart enough to know better.

The worst troll on TSN. An embarrassment to "journalism". And a smug SOB on top of it.
Nonis is his cousin, not sure if its through marriage or not.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
hey guys avs fan here

montreal is one of my secondary teams but i dont really follow them closely in the off season. Just curious on where you slide PAP into your lineup and what your expectations out of him this year are? I am a big PAP fan, when he is healthy he certainly can still produce. He just didn't fit our team imo. Would've liked a better return but like i said im a PAP fan so i'm sure i have some bias. From an outside perspective who admits to not following montreal during the offseason i think PAP with chucky could work well, PAP has shown he can work well with young guys.

Dutchy

Aug 16, 2003
Montréal, Québec, Ca
Nonis is his cousin, not sure if its through marriage or not.

2x18_Righteous_Brothers_(10).png

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Good little overview.

Patches DD Gally
Chucky Plex PAP
Sekac Eller Bork
Prust Malholtra Weise

Markov PK
Emelin Gilbert
Beau Weaver
Tinner Pateryn

Price
Tokarski

I think this post is a bit optimistic. However, I wouldn't expect the Habs to miss the playoffs entirely and they might do as well as you predict.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
hey guys avs fan here

montreal is one of my secondary teams but i dont really follow them closely in the off season. Just curious on where you slide PAP into your lineup and what your expectations out of him this year are? I am a big PAP fan, when he is healthy he certainly can still produce. He just didn't fit our team imo. Would've liked a better return but like i said im a PAP fan so i'm sure i have some bias. From an outside perspective who admits to not following montreal during the offseason i think PAP with chucky could work well, PAP has shown he can work well with young guys.

Well, the ball is in his court. With Vanek and Gionta leaving, there's a glaring winger spot open in the top-6 and it's his to lose. Having said that, a few guys might be nipping at his heels with Galchenyuk, Sekac and possibly others maybe ready to out-shine him. Worst case, he slides onto the 3rd line unless he has a disastrous start.

xposbrad

Jul 11, 2009
Interesting read. Taking a look at some statistics from last season, it's hard to overlook the fact that Montreal finished the season 11-3-1 with Vanek in the lineup. He sucked in the playoffs but he really helped the team in the end. I guess I'm the only one who wouldn't have mind signing him.

You aren't the only one. Habs fans over reacted for his play in the playoffs. He wasn't the only one to suck donkey balls (markov + emelin were way worse). He will still put up around 60 pts next year? He's making what? 6.5m? Solid signing by MIN.

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
i
I didnt read it cause as always they're probably gonna say we wont win because the Leafs are REAL Cup contenders (THIS year of course...) and that they'll finish first in the division. Their blind optimism about their team and their refusal to see their cr*ppy team for what it is is quite sickening at times...:shakehead

igUyCzq.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3