Post-Game Talk: Season over, Oilers lose

Biggest reason for the loss?

• Total voters

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The unfortunate part is that people point to +/- as drai being bad in the last 4 games but when you have stats like this it highlights the scoring struggle.

It takes someone 50 major contributions to score 5 points but the other team scores 7 points off of your 14 major mistakes, youre not winning. Makes it impossible to break even. I get that team defense plays a part but it seems almost inexplicable how often we dominate and get nothing only to see the other team do a quarter of what we do and score every second shot.

I'm not excusing the play because there were major defensive failures and effort issues but it irritates me that it seems the Oilers have to work 3x harder than their opponent to win games. We have no ability to make our own luck. Vegas played well enough but the amount of bounces they got were pretty sickening.
I was amazed at how much loose pucks just bounce right onto a Vegas stick. Offenisve or defensive zone. Its uncanny. But its continuing to occur in the present series. Not sure if its all luck or just good positional play but Vegas always seem to be where rebounds and bounces are.

Vegas get other puck luck too. Look at the first goal tonight. They make that look easy but you wouldn't see that finish again in 20 tries at it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
We're talking about a guy who has 39 points in 49 playoff games...
Some provisos. That is heavily PP pts. 21 to be exact. Next he's not exactly a regular goal scorer in playoffs. Only 10G. His pts are heavily leveraged to PP, to assists and quite a few 2nd assists.

The same player wouldn't have anything near this without playing with the two offensive gods in the hockey world.

Reactions: BlackDogg

Moregoalspls

Nov 24, 2017
I might be in denial but I think this is probably as good as it's going to get for chances to win the cup

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I was amazed at how much loose pucks just bounce right onto a Vegas stick. Offenisve or defensive zone. Its uncanny. But its continuing to occur in the present series. Not sure if its all luck or just good positional play but Vegas always seem to be where rebounds and bounces are.

Vegas get other puck luck too. Look at the first goal tonight. They make that look easy but you wouldn't see that finish again in 20 tries at it.

Yah I felt the same way. We weren't strong positionally in front of the net is all I can come up with.

Puck gets funneled towards the net and pops into the air. Skinner and the D-men just can't find it. Vegas player is exactly where he needs to be... puck in net. Skinner and D-man bewildered.

I think Vegas got the bounces for sure in the series. Like a lot of them. But Edmonton was guilty for not tying up the man and instead chased the puck.. well tried to find the puck and couldn't.

One thing I noticed is there was no interference type penalties being called at all. It was a football game from the top of the circles down. Vegas played the man.. Edmonton played the puck. If they're not going to call interference then playing the man is more effective. Edmonton didn't recognize and adapt. Marchesault and Riley should have been firmly on their asses anytime they came close to the net. I know our players were. But they weren't, and had free access to find those lose pucks.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad