Post-Game Talk: Season Over, Jets Lose 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I found it incredibly telling that when JoMo went down we fundamentally changed our system to not allow our dmen to activate. This was straight out of Pionk's mouth. So yeah the biggest key to driving our transition and offensive attack was removed. Yes this speaks to org depth but it also shows that systems definitely played a role in us loosing ground in the series.

Our offense was very dependent on defensive overlap so no shock it dried up with that system change.

Also if that is a key to our game then we need to start working in Chisholm and Heinola next year so that we have the depth to absorb some injuries and not alter how we play.
If only we had an offensive minded, puck-moving Dman waiting in the wings and never getting NHL experience...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If only we had an offensive minded, puck-moving Dman waiting in the wings and never getting NHL experience...
Exactly what I was getting at. You have the Moose for plug and play options but our coaching staff didn't properly prepare guys like Ville etc and then defaulted to defense only guys and system changed that dissruptd the whole teams play.

Reactions: WolfHouse

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Exactly what I was getting at. You have the Moose for plug and play options but our coaching staff didn't properly prepare guys like Ville etc and then defaulted to defense only guys and system changed that dissruptd the whole teams play.

Agree, but t’was ever thus. Year after year after year.

You can’t win when your system goes down with one injured player.

Bones returning next year won’t change that.

I still think that there are significant gaps between how the org thinks of “Jets Hockey” and how the players imagine it, with the coach often stuck in the middle.

Until that changes we are likely to see confusion and a lack of success.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hey you make some great points and I don't exactly disagree, but just know that Dubois can't carry a team offensively like Schiefele has done for a long time. If we are looking to grow a new #1 center organically it's going to be awhile until we are a legit playoff threat again. I want the Captaincy given to Lowry or Morrisey complete agreement there. But I feel like Scheifele is just an easy target and losing him will quickly render the Jets a bottom feeder. I'm not convinced being a bottom feeder and hoping to strike gold in the lottery is any kind of strategy noawadays. Maybe you don't think losing Schiefele makes the Jets a bottom feeder, but I don't see any center on the Jets contributing 40 goals any time soon. The guy gets a lot of hate but he's a good player and most teams would love to have him.

I DO think that losing Scheifele makes Jets a bottomfeeder. But keeping him isn't allowing us to contend. It just keeps us in that mushy middle ground. That is assuming he is willing to stay at a reasonable cost. I suspect that either he will simply refuse to stay or he will demand too much on his next contract.

Start by assuming Dubois is gone. Then add that we can keep 1 of Scheifele and Helle, but not both. Keeping just 1 of those 3 doesn't add up. If 2 are gone we might as well get the best return we can on the 3rd one.

It is a different story if we can keep both Scheifele and Hellebuyck. I think we could afford to pay them a fair amount. I wouldn't want to go max term with either. At that point it is a much more difficult question to decide if we WANT to keep them.

If it looks like we would be stuck with just creeping into a WC spot and being bounced in the first rd, like this year I would rather start the rebuild. If there is a reasonable path to retooling and getting better that's a different story. I don't see that path myself. We are back to lacking a 2C. We still have some significant holes in our D corps. I see the prospects being fed into the team just replacing what we have now as players drop out. We have achieved equilibrium in the 14th - 18th spots in the standings.

And there is no mention of a culture change in any of that. I think that if you agree that a culture change is necessary then you must agree that Scheifele and Hellebuyck need to go.

Reactions: robertocarlos

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I dont think his play is the main reason that people want to see him go, for me anyways its the fact that his "leadership" proved to be toxic inside the locker room, and he is still going to be a powerful voice/figure in that locker room even without the C. The team desperately needs a leadership makeover/transfer and the only way to truly do that is by getting Wheeler out of there. Scheifele too.
You might be right but that means the Jets would have to release Wheeler or send him to the Moose.
There's no trade that's possible.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I don't think you can blame the coaching staff - the contracts are structured in a way that Heinola was the only option to be moved down. Losing Kovacevic was a hard lesson.

Not sure what can shake loose next year without one of our top D $$ being shipped out for pennies

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Season is over, series is over. Time to move into summer mode & making changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad