Pre-Game Talk: Season Opener - Vancouver Canucks @ San Jose Sharks - October 3, 2013, 7:00PM PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
If you flunk out youll be able to watch all the games you want. I have your best interests in mind.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Vlasic Braun
Irwin Boyle
Some combination of Hannan/Stuart/Demers

Stuart hasn't yet played due to a lower body injury, but there is some speculation he may play Thursday.

Good to know. Thx.

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
I wouldn't say overrated, but I'd really like to see a level playing field in terms of penalties before making a judgement.

What do you mean by level playing field? When one team breaks the rules more than the other then the other team will get more powerplays. Canucks were undisciplined in that serires

stevecanuck16

Jul 28, 2009
How are they overrated?

Can't speak for the other poster, but I think the Sharks have become overrated. I've seen many pundits predicting the Sharks to finish higher than us this year, and talking about how our window is closing.

However, the Sharks have an older core (aside from Couture) and a much worse prospect system. They're sliding a lot harder than we are, and nobody seems to talk about it.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Can't speak for the other poster, but I think the Sharks have become overrated. I've seen many pundits predicting the Sharks to finish higher than us this year, and talking about how our window is closing.

However, the Sharks have an older core (aside from Couture) and a much worse prospect system. They're sliding a lot harder than we are, and nobody seems to talk about it.

They're sliding harder, yet they beat our ***** and seeing them finish higher than us is almost seen as impossible by many here. Okay.

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
Father in law got tickets for us to go to the season opener! Section 217, look for the tall white guy surrounded by small Asians all wearing Canucks gear :D

CSN Bay Area is replaying the playoff games vs Van :rant:

tmaclu

Jun 25, 2013
Father in law got tickets for us to go to the season opener! Section 217, look for the tall white guy surrounded by small Asians all wearing Canucks gear :D

CSN Bay Area is replaying the playoff games vs Van :rant:

Good for you man. I'm also in the bay area. Don't have a ticket of the opener but got one for Nov 7. I will probably find a bar and cheer the Canucks.

Any idea which hotel they will stay in San Jose?

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Lou has played pretty good against the sharks the past few seasons. Thats one thing that gives us a chance.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
Stay disciplined then.

Agreed, in the playoff series and in other recent games against the Sharks we look slow and out of position. We also seem to have poor starts and get down 2 or 3 - 0 which just adds to the parade to the penalty box.

At least now if we have players not skating hard and being behind he play, they wont play.

stevecanuck16

Jul 28, 2009
They're sliding harder, yet they beat our ***** and seeing them finish higher than us is almost seen as impossible by many here. Okay.

Nobody says its impossible. But preseason predictions are all about how teams look on paper, and I think the Canucks look much better than the Sharks on paper.

The point about them beating us last year doesn't hold much water, anyway. They have to play all the other teams, too, and we did finish ahead of them anyway. The team will play much, much differently than last year, in any case, so it's a bit of a blank slate.

No need to be hostile about others having a different opinion.

The Horvatian One

228 LBS of Pain
Aug 22, 2010
I just went into the Oilers PGT to see how many of them were jumping off the bridge already, quite a few...I can't wait to see what happens to these boards if we crap the bed on Thursday. This year is gonna be fun to gauge how the boards react.

*grabs popcorn*

And for all those wondering why we didn't trade Schneider to the Oilers, well you have your answer tonight. That team just needs a goalie who can stop the puck and they're going to be a really good team.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Nobody says its impossible. But preseason predictions are all about how teams look on paper, and I think the Canucks look much better than the Sharks on paper.

The point about them beating us last year doesn't hold much water, anyway. They have to play all the other teams, too, and we did finish ahead of them anyway. The team will play much, much differently than last year, in any case, so it's a bit of a blank slate.

No need to be hostile about others having a different opinion.

Don't know how you've come to the decision that we're better than them on paper when we've upgraded nothing from when they last swept us, but that's your opinion I guess. The Canucks will play much more differently, but it's to be seen if that much more different style goes uphill or downhill.

xtr3m

Jan 28, 2009
Vancouver
over/under on how PPs the sharks get? i'd say 5 is a good number

It's the beginning of a season so refs are going to call everything and then some. A team can really help itself in October by having a powerplay that clicks from the get go.

blendini

Jul 15, 2012
Don't know how you've come to the decision that we're better than them on paper when we've upgraded nothing from when they last swept us, but that's your opinion I guess. The Canucks will play much more differently, but it's to be seen if that much more different style goes uphill or downhill.

I'm not saying Nucks are better on paper, but you have to admit that having a healthy Kes and Booth is certainly and upgrade.

Also, Santerelli and Richardson > Ebbett and Lappy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad