Pre-Game Talk: Season Opener - Vancouver Canucks @ San Jose Sharks - October 3, 2013, 7:00PM PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaby23

Mar 30, 2012
Quebec
As a Habs fan i'd like to know how is Weber playing so far?? I always loved him but poor guy never had a spot open for him.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Be interesting to see if Dalpe gets into the night one lineup. I have to assume he will, and that he will be given a chance with half decent linemates. Maybe on the third centering Booth and Hansen?

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Yea that was basically is problem. One game he was our QB in the powerplay and the other he was doing stupids giveaways and the blue line.

To be fair, he had Alberts as a defensive partner sometimes. I don't wish that on anyone.:laugh:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Be interesting to see if Dalpe gets into the night one lineup. I have to assume he will, and that he will be given a chance with half decent linemates. Maybe on the third centering Booth and Hansen?

Given how strong a camp Santorelli just had, I can't really see him being bumped down to the fourth line by the acquisition of a rookie in Dalpe.

One possibility, though, is that Dalpe gets a crack playing with the Twins. That might bump Horvat and/or Shinkaruk from the lineup.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
It looks like Horvat and maybe Shinkaruk might be sent down since we acquired Dalpe.

https://twitter.com/BradZiemer/status/384362616493051904
Trade likely means Horvat/Shinkaruk heading back to junior. Roster has to be set Monday morning. #Canucks

https://twitter.com/BradZiemer/status/384362754229805057
Dalpe has been playing wing in Carolina camp, but Gilis says #Canucks see him as a centre. #Canucks

https://twitter.com/BradZiemer/status/384363397250170880
Horvat not on ice for today's practice. Shinkaruk skating with Booth and Santorelli. #Canucks

https://twitter.com/BradZiemer/status/384363613827264513
Gillis: "The kids are still here but we will be making a decision on both of them in the next 24 hours." #Canucks

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
This kind of rustles my jimmies. Gillis kept on saying how he wanted to give the kids a chance to make the team, all signs pointed to Shinkaruk and Horvat getting to play a few games before Kassian and Schroeder returned to the lineup, and then he does the Dalpe trade. (same thing with burning a year of Corrado's contract last season only to have him start the year in the AHL)

Why not just sign Vinny Prospal to a cheap contract if he was going to do this, he can still put up 40+ points and has plenty of experience playing under Torts.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
This kind of rustles my jimmies. Gillis kept on saying how he wanted to give the kids a chance to make the team, all signs pointed to Shinkaruk and Horvat getting to play a few games before Kassian and Schroeder returned to the lineup, and then he does the Dalpe trade. (same thing with burning a year of Corrado's contract last season only to have him start the year in the AHL)

Why not just sign Vinny Prospal to a cheap contract if he was going to do this, he can still put up 40+ points and has plenty of experience playing under Torts.

They got a chance and they didn't exactly light the world on fire. Both look like they might make the team next season but right now they look like they can handle 9 games at the most and even that might be pushing it.

Also, Dalpe should also be considered a kid given that he's only 23. I compared it to the Sharp trade for Chicago and I'll stick to that for now.

(Now consider the fact that Tampa might send Drouin back to junior.)

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
They got a chance and they didn't exactly light the world on fire. Both look like they might make the team next season but right now they look like they can handle 9 games at the most and even that might be pushing it.

Also, Dalpe should also be considered a kid given that he's only 23. I compared it to the Sharp trade for Chicago and I'll stick to that for now.

(Now consider the fact that Tampa might send Drouin back to junior.)

I haven't really seen Dalpe play, what makes him comparable to Sharp at the time he was traded?

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I haven't really seen Dalpe play, what makes him comparable to Sharp at the time he was traded?

What doesn't? When Sharp was his age he was also an AHL-NHL tweener who was forced to play wing a lot, didn't impress at the NHL level despite tons of chances, didn't have a defensive game, etc. They play the game a similar way too.

Sharp has grown a lot since then and added a two-way game and physical play.

(The situation of the trade is really what I was comparing though.)

Last edited:

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
What doesn't? When Sharp was his age he was also an AHL-NHL tweener who was forced to play wing a lot, didn't impress at the NHL level despite tons of chances, didn't have a defensive game, etc. They play the game a similar way too.

Sharp has grown a lot since then and added a two-way game and physical play.

Well, I mean lots of AHL-NHL tweeners without a defensive game get traded and/or waived all the time. I was just wondering what part of their games you see as similar enough to compare him specifically to Sharp and his development curve(obviously not the norm) as opposed to run-of-the-mill waiver fodder.

EDIT: Saw your edit, yeah, the trade itself on paper looks similar, although I'm genuinely curious as to whether Dalpe has any sort of shot at becoming something.

Tanevian*

Because they got a guy they wanted to get?

Wetcoaster

Possible.

Ben Kuzma ‏@benkuzma 41s
Tortorella on whether he's decided on a third-line centre, with Santorelli a strong candidate: "No."

Torts on opening-night lineup: "I’ll play the Sedins together, I know that."

Last edited by a moderator:

Wetcoaster

One thing we know - Raffi Torres won't be adding to his suspension totals. :D

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
As a Habs fan i'd like to know how is Weber playing so far?? I always loved him but poor guy never had a spot open for him.

Weber looks good with a good d-partner... looks awful when paired with a 7th d-man like Alberts.

Nice shot on the powerplay though (scored on his birthday last week).

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
On the lines i'm not sure what they plan to do but I foresee a lot of juggling for the first few games.

Do we know if Santorelli will be playing with Booth? (a-la a makeshift version of their good Florida season?).

I was guessing we'd seeing:

Sedin- Sedin- Burrows
Higgins- Kesler- Hansen
Booth- Santorelli- XXX (Shinkaruk or Dalpe)
Sestito- Richardson- Weise

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad