Season Lines predictions before training camp begins

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Loktionov and Zubrus are both good 2-way players. With Zubrus at center, I don't think that line would be too troublesome in it's own zone.

Agreed. That would be an interesting line. Lokti certainly isn't big or strong, but he's a smart player, works hard, and was always in good position last year. Him and Zubie make for good line mates actually. Both solid on d(Zubrus is better though), Zubie brings the size/puck control, and both have good on ice vision. Those 2 with a scorer like Ryder would be really good as well I think. There's so many combinations I bet we see some bingo balling again. As long as we score I don't care who's in or who's on what line.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I dont think anyone should be commenting on what Loktionov is or isnt yet. he hasnt even played a whole short season. give it time, Loktionov will become Loktionov

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think we'll see some bingo balling too. Unless a line gets hot and sticks.

I don't have the energy to put together every possible line combination. Just remember, righties on right, lefties on left, Jagr and maybe Zubrus aside.:laugh:

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I dont think anyone should be commenting on what Loktionov is or isnt yet. he hasnt even played a whole short season. give it time, Loktionov will become Loktionov

He's played 87 games in the NHL and 135 in the AHL. There's a number of of accounts about how he's been used and he's often considered a quality 2-way player who's been effective and hard working at 5 on 5 and the penalty kill.

I don't think we saw a lot of his 2-way ability in his time in Newark, but that doesn't mean it's not a part of his game anymore.

apice3*

Loktionov is not a two-way player. There is a reason why him and Clarkson were really the only two regular forwards last year to not even sniff PK time.

If you want to put a label on his game, he is a play-making center who, by chance, happens to have a very high shooting percentage (which will certainly regress) and a low assist total (which will certainly improve.)

MJB Devils23*

I think we'll see some bingo balling too. Unless a line gets hot and sticks.

I don't have the energy to put together every possible line combination. Just remember, righties on right, lefties on left, Jagr and maybe Zubrus aside.:laugh:

The Devils don't have the roster for an ideal setup. They're gonna ice a team with 2 second lines, and two 3rd lines for the most part. The only question is in what combination.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Loktionov is not a two-way player. There is a reason why him and Clarkson were really the only two regular forwards last year to not even sniff PK time.

If you want to put a label on his game, he is a play-making center who, by chance, happens to have a very high shooting percentage (which will certainly regress) and a low assist total (which will certainly improve.)

I'd say the reason is because Loktionov was never gonna bump Zajac, Elias, Zubrus, or Henrique out of a PK spot after coming from a new team. Calling him a "two way forward" was probably an unnecessary exaggeration on my part, but I really don't get the idea that he's not a responsible forward.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Loktionov is not Zajac or Henrique defensively, but I can't say he's a liability. I don't recall of too many boneheaded plays of coverage from him.

apice3*

I'd say the reason is because Loktionov was never gonna bump Zajac, Elias, Zubrus, or Henrique out of a PK spot after coming from a new team. Calling him a "two way forward" was probably an unnecessary exaggeration on my part, but I really don't get the idea that he's not a responsible forward.

Zajac, Elias, Zubrus, Henrique, Carter, Gionta, Josefson, 17, and Ponikarovsky all played substantial PK time. It's not like we relied on 4 guys, we've always asked everyone to play on the PK unless they're incapable. Even Kostopolous has nearly triple the PK time Loktionov had, but that could be mop up time. Although I think Kostopolous started a PK once for whatever reason.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Loktionov isn't really a two-way forward, not sure where this is coming from.

He's smart defensively and reliable, but by no means would I put him in a category with guys like Elias, Zajac, Zubrus, Henrique, etc. I will say that when he's on the ice, I'm a lot more comfortable in him defensively then I am for someone like Tedenby.

If you wanted, he probably could get PK time, but with the amount of forwards we have that can play that role, he's better getting offensive minutes 5-on-5 and hopefully some PP time.

I've said this before, but I don't think it was really liked, but my ideal set-up, with three "second" lines would be:

Elias-Loktionov-Jagr
Clowe-Henrique-Ryder
Olesz-Zajac-Zubrus

I see those as three different lines with three different roles, all getting the same amount of ice time 5-on-5.

NC107*

Want to talk about two way liability go no further than Gionta. He cost us with his defensive play many times.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
About all I can really see here is that Elias and Jagr need to play together and the forth line should remain the same with Olesz in place of Gionta if necessary. Otherwise it's tough to really put the rest together logically. Nothing jumps out at me as being obvious. Any other line combinations with the remaining players could either work well or fail miserably. I have no idea.

apice3*

Loktionov isn't capable of playing on the PK. He can't play wing and he can't win a faceoff. You don't want a player like that playing a man down.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I personally don't think goal scoring is going to be a major issue. This team has 6 or 7 players capable of scoring 20 goals this season and probably 3 or 4 that locks for 20+

In 2011-12 we had 5 20+ goal scorers

Ilya Kovalchuk 37
Zach Parise 31
David Clarkson 30
Patrik Elias 26
Petr Sykora 21

That is 145 goals from 5 players, essentially the top 6, and that represents about 70% of the teams total goal scoring.

The problem though with that team is after those 5 players the drop off was significant. You had Zubrus with 17 and Henrique with 16 then it drops straight down to Ponikarovsky with 7.

This team wont have 3 30 goal scorers but they will have multiple 10+ goal scorers on every line. That might not be sexy but it will produce more reliable scoring on a nightly basis...We will be looking for something more like 55-60% of the goals coming from the top 6 with this team and a bigger contribution from the bottom 6. I personally think it is a better formula for success than relying 1 or 2 big goal producers who inevitably go through slumps, get injured or simply get shutdown from time to time.

Isn't that a little generous? The only two I think would probably be a lock for 20 are Elias and probably Jagr. I don't think you can throw Zajac in the mix for somebody that's a lock to get goals since he hasn't proven that he can do it with out Parise. I guess you can throw Henrique in there but he's a young player who has also never done it before. Anyway, heres are my line:

Elias-Zajac-Ryder
Clowe-Henrique-Jagr
Olesz-Loktionov-Zubrus
Carter-Josefson-Bernier

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Loktionov isn't capable of playing on the PK. He can't play wing and he can't win a faceoff. You don't want a player like that playing a man down.

If the faceoff thing is important, I guess Henrique, Elias, and Zubrus shouldn't be playing the PK anymore either. We can't pair EVERYONE with Zajac.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
If the faceoff thing is important, I guess Henrique, Elias, and Zubrus shouldn't be playing the PK anymore either. We can't pair EVERYONE with Zajac.

those guys are at least respectable at FOs

Loktionov is literally among the worst in the NHL (along with Gionta, who also inexplicably plays on the PK)

apice3*

Zubrus is good at faceoffs, he just get tossed out alot. Elias and Henrique are both in the 45 to 50% range which is acceptable. When you're a center posting faceoff numbers in the 30s, you have no business on the PK. Faceoff winning is very important, but it extremely crucial in killing penalties. That's part of the reason why Zajac is such a good PK-er. If you win the first draw, you can kill 15-20 seconds off the penalty almost immediately.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Isn't that a little generous? The only two I think would probably be a lock for 20 are Elias and probably Jagr. I don't think you can throw Zajac in the mix for somebody that's a lock to get goals since he hasn't proven that he can do it with out Parise. I guess you can throw Henrique in there but he's a young player who has also never done it before. Anyway, heres are my line:

Elias-Zajac-Ryder
Clowe-Henrique-Jagr
Olesz-Loktionov-Zubrus
Carter-Josefson-Bernier

Ryder will easily score 20 as long as hes healthy. Henrique, even in a sophomore slump, was on pace for 20 last year. I fully expect him get at least 20-25 this year.

Feb 2, 2009
Manalapan, NJ
Just a gut feeling, but I think Zajac is going to have a huge year. I can see 25+ goals and a top 3 finish for the Selke. Again, just a gut feeling. I am basing this off absolutely nothing. Wishful thinking, I suppose.

apice3*

Zajac belongs in the top 3 conversation, but the media is just going to pencil in Datsyuk, Bergeron, Toews, and/or Kesler in their top 3 without putting any more thought into it.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I think hes just as good as Toews defensively

I think hes better than Kesler defensively

I don't think hes as good as Datsyuk or Bergeron defensively

NC107*

Zajac will do fine this season with better line mates. He missed Parise and didn't do well with Kovy. He needs to be on the same line to develop chemistry.

Feb 2, 2009
Manalapan, NJ
I think hes just as good as Toews defensively

I think hes better than Kesler defensively

I don't think hes as good as Datsyuk or Bergeron defensively

I agree 100%. He already deserves consideration for the Selke, so if he puts up 25+ goals he might win it, because for some stupid reason you can't win it without having a ton of points now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad