Here are my lines predictions before training camp begins:

Patrik Elias - Travis Zajac - Jaromir Jagr
Ryane Clowe - Adam Henrique - Michael Ryder
Rusty Olesz - Andrei Loktionov - Dainius Zubrus
Ryan Carter - Jacob Josefson - Steve Bernier

Andy Greene - Adam Larsson
Bryce Salvador - Marek Zidlicky
Anton Volchenkov - Mark Fayne

Note Gionta is gone. Depending on how Loktionov performs he could be rolled with Josephson. Tedenby is on the bench but playing at least 8 mins. per game in the beginning in place of Olesa.

What do you think?

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
It's been pointed out before that Jagr is no way going to get 'first line' minutes and be able to stick there throughout the season... but who knows.

I would go with:
Elias Zajac Ryder
Clowe Henrique Zubrus
Josefsson Lokti Jagr
Olesz Carter Bernier

Tedenby in for Josefsson,
Olesz sitting with Gio at center...

NC107*

I actually have a problem with the lines I selected pre season before training camp, and that's Ryane Clowe. IMO Lou paid too much again and for too long for a risk! Clowe was to replace Clarkson, what a joke. He has had a string of recent concussions, hello what will happen this season? DeBoer wants gritty forechecking but Ryane skating is too slow to be an effective forechecker. I don't think he can play the Devils system and that means he will leave points on the ice. This is a team that needs goals and Clowe is to slow to be a help with the scoring. He will be a treat on offense as an enforcer but in the long run where scoring is needed he will be a loser. This signing IMO was a big mistake and a over reaction by Lou.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Clowe will outscore Clarkson this year

I don't like the contract either but Clowe is PERFECT for the Devils' puck possession system so I am not sure what you're talking about.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
I actually have a problem with the lines I selected pre season before training camp, and that's Ryane Clowe. IMO Lou paid too much again and for too long for a risk! Clowe was to replace Clarkson, what a joke. He has had a string of recent concussions, hello what will happen this season? DeBoer wants gritty forechecking but Ryane skating is too slow to be an effective forechecker. I don't think he can play the Devils system and that means he will leave points on the ice. This is a team that needs goals and Clowe is to slow to be a help with the scoring. He will be a treat on offense as an enforcer but in the long run where scoring is needed he will be a loser. This signing IMO was a big mistake and a over reaction by Lou.

Um, Ok....

I'm going to assume you didn't watch Clowe play before last year.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Maybe the people who don't like that we signed Clowe would be happier if we just gave that spot to Matteau, after Clarkson left? Or just re signed Ponikarovsky.:laugh:

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
It's been pointed out before that Jagr is no way going to get 'first line' minutes and be able to stick there throughout the season... but who knows.

I would go with:
Elias Zajac Ryder
Clowe Henrique Zubrus
Josefsson Lokti Jagr
Olesz Carter Bernier

Tedenby in for Josefsson,
Olesz sitting with Gio at center...

Jagr will be getting top 6 minutes to start the season and if he starts to slow down then he'll be bumped down. He was on pace for 29 goals last year so I don't really see him struggling to the point where he becomes a liability. Hes not going to be able to succeed playing alongside Josefson and Loktionov anyway. Him and Zubrus should probably swap spots in that lineup.

apice3*

Josefson and Volchenkov are the only two players in your lineup without an R in their name.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Elias Loktionov Jagr
Clowe Zajac Ryder
Henrique Josefson Zubrus
Olesz Carter Bernier

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Elias-Zajac-Ryder
Clowe-Henrique-Jagr
Olesz-Josefson-Zubrus
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

Not what I want, what I think we'll see.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Loktionov police will be knocking on your door after they see this.
You have the right to remain silent jim!:sarcasm:

I don't really like that 3rd line though. Not necessarily due to the lack of Loktionov. More to do with I think Josefson will water that line down. I don't see too much offense coming from it.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I really want to see a line-up like:

Elias-Loktionov-Jagr
Clowe-Zajac-Zubrus
xxxxx-Henrique-Ryder

The only problem I have is, I think Olesz, Tedenby, and Josefson just aren't the right fit for that third line. Olesz could be if he returns to his form before he signed the ridiculous contract.

I like, in that scenario, how each line has a specific role. Loktionov's line is out there to put up points, Zajac's line is more of a checking line that will grind down the opposition, and Olesz-Henrique-Ryder is the sneaky all-around line that will play weak opposition and get points. Zajac's line will play the top line of the other teams, Loktionov's will likely get the shutdown group from the other team, which leaves Henrique's to play either a team's second line or an inferior third line.

However, I believe this is all banking on how well Olesz looks, if he's holding Henrique/Ryder back, I would like to see the OP's lines.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Pete said in that interview with TG today that we're gonna roll 4 lines. Hopefully that means no Barch in the lineup most nights. He's never really said we had 4 lines while one of the goons were in the lineup. In fact when they weren't playing late last year, he said it's because he wanted to roll 4 lines.

I'm sure Barch will get a game in once in a while during back to back situations.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Some of PDB's comments in the TG interview are interesting

Stating him liking the versatility that Henrique, Zubrus, Elias, Olez, and Gionta bring to the lineup and that guys like Tedenby and Josefson are guys knocking on the door

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Pete said in that interview with TG today that we're gonna roll 4 lines. Hopefully that means no Barch in the lineup most nights. He's never really said we had 4 lines while one of the goons were in the lineup. In fact when they weren't playing late last year, he said it's because he wanted to roll 4 lines.

I'm sure Barch will get a game in once in a while during back to back situations.

Four lines doesn't really change anything from predictions.

The same 8 people are likely to be in the top six, with Josefson/Tedenby/Olesz battling for that last spot unless Bernier looks better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad