Value of: Sean Walker and Travis Konecny

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Although last year the Oilers got a more impactful player than Konecny, who wasn’t a rental, for a great price. Comparing trades doesn’t always work out.

That wasn’t the point. The returns were only listed because I was copy and pasting from a post in a different context. Non-playoff teams have punted on Konecny-type decisions in recent years. Jones (Summer trade), H. Lindholm and Horvat are the big ones. Rakell, Bertuzzi and Toffoli (Summer trade) are at a lower level. Perhaps there's been a shift in thinking about the value of pulling the trigger ahead of time (bad for conservative buyers).

Last edited:

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I don't see Walker as enough of an upgrade to justify the assets Philadelphia would want. Konency would be a great addition but cap wise we can't fit him in even if we agreed to pay the ask on him.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

Blaine8797

Nov 26, 2018
From the leafs I would say cost for TK from the flyers would he

2024 1st + Easton Cowan + Bertuzzi for TK@50% retained

Cowan is having a monster D+1 year ajd is the best or top 3 player at worst in the OHL this year. Probably a top 25 propsect in the world

1st will be in 20s most likely which has its value

Bertuzzi is a cap piece which we move and flyers either sell or try to see if hes worth signing

Flyers retain 50% to maximize TKs value

I dont think the leafs should he making a deal like this but I project Konecny's value around this @50%
Cowan is a product of his environment, as a London fan who watches most games he is not the reason why he has such a high ppg it’s the surrounding players, while he’s a good piece he’s not the astounding player you think he is

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Wanted Savoie at the draft and konecny is hi quality enough to command that level of prospect . Buffalo fans what's your interest level

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Konecny probably looks like 2 1sts + B prospect +money back or 1st + 2nd + A prospect I think + money back. Quality of prospects/picks could changed depending on the roster player going back for cap

Walker 2nd round pick + 4th/5th if 50% is retained

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
Uh, no he isn't. Cowan leads the OHL in PPG. Barkey has more points because he wasn't good enough to make Team Canada. He's also two inches shorter and 30 pounds lighter.
That doesn’t change the fact that Easton Cowan (like Barkey) isn’t currently a top prospect. He wasn’t in the top 50 midseason prospect rankings, he wasn’t in the top 150 players under 23. I wouldn’t thumb my nose at receiving him in a trade but he’s not an attractive headliner in a package for TK. Certainly not if it’s being suggested the Flyers would retain salary or take a bad contract in said trade.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
That doesn’t change the fact that Easton Cowan (like Barkey) isn’t currently a top prospect. He wasn’t in the top 50 midseason prospect rankings, he wasn’t in the top 150 players under 23. I wouldn’t thumb my nose at receiving him in a trade but he’s not an attractive headliner in a package for TK. Certainly not if it’s being suggested the Flyers would retain salary or take a bad contract in said trade.

I was just responding to the claim that Barkey has been better. I don't think the Leafs should be trading him or making a big deal this year.

Reactions: FromOyVey2Matvei

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
does a prospect like Tverberg move the needle for Walker?
Tverberg is looking like a late round steal!!,
A late physical bloomer who is putting it all together

Blaine8797

Nov 26, 2018
I was just responding to the claim that Barkey has been better. I don't think the Leafs should be trading him or making a big deal this year.
What are you on about? Nobody said Barkey was better I said he was a product of his environment meaning he’s on the best team in the ohl that’s absolutely stacked, we’ve seen this time & time again. As for your statement simply about Barkey he’s a third round pick & Cowan was a first? Pretty sure everyone expects him to exceed barkeys production 😂

Reactions: Fight4yourRight

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
If the trade isn’t painful for you and your team then you’re not getting Konecny. Term, bargain contract, plays all situations, grit, point per game. Yeah it’s gonna cost you your left nut

We’re not trading Konecny for a trade where freaking Cowan is the top piece lmao

Blaine8797

Nov 26, 2018
But also if you wanted to look at analytics take a look at frozenpool on dinner sports & analytically barkeys upside is higher

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
OP I know they both would be a great fit on the Oilers, I really doubt philly packages them both. That is really bad asset management.

Reactions: McDoused

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Yup. Agree with those who say konecny would have to hurt. Think Jets had interest, they were scouting Philly lots, I’d imagine his price would be more than Lindholm maybe x2.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
What are you on about? Nobody said Barkey was better I said he was a product of his environment meaning he’s on the best team in the ohl that’s absolutely stacked, we’ve seen this time & time again. As for your statement simply about Barkey he’s a third round pick & Cowan was a first? Pretty sure everyone expects him to exceed barkeys production 😂

Good grief do I regret entering this thread. I saw this post:

For the record, Denver Barkey (current Flyers prospect) is having a better OHL season than Easton Cowan. He's not a top 10 prospect in the world.

So yes, someone did say Barkey is better and I disagreed with that. That's it. I wasn't talking about any of your posts, you can keep your crying emojis, I don't care what you said. I didn't quote you so I don't know why you assumed my post had anything to do with yours.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Fight4yourRight

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Good grief do I regret entering this thread. I saw this post:

So yes, someone did say Barkey is better and I disagreed with that. That's it. I wasn't talking about any of your posts, you can keep your crying emojis, I don't care what you said. I didn't quote you so I don't know why you assumed my post had anything to do with yours.
I never said Barkey was better. I was refuting someone saying Easton is a top 10 prospect because of the season he is having in the OHL.

Barkey is not the better prospect and Easton is not anywhere near the top 10 prospects. Easton, however, is a better prospect than Barkey.

Reactions: McDoused

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
They are selling. Losing Hart has trashed any hope of the playoffs. Walker is going for sure, a couple others too.
I think it will depend on where they stand at TDL. No team throws in the towel when they are in a playoff spot.

Reactions: SnS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad