Value of: Sean Walker and Travis Konecny

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
It really depends on what your goal is. Do you want the team to win the Cup someday before we all die, or do you want to assemble a high-quality team and build to a Cup run? They are on-and-done if they squeak into the playoffs, but it's only going to mean they don't get a top level prospect.

This year's unexpected success is really going to doom the team to #PerpetualMediocrity if they do stupid things like extending mediocre Dmen like Seeler and average guys like Walker. They need need to upgrade their top lines and top D pairings, and hope they have a top goalie in the system, because the franchise goalie turned out to be a criminal. The surprise of Poehling's play, with his speed and size making him an ideal 4C, has made Laughton expendable , and he should go for some prime Dpicks or a comparable young player.

To evaluate players, look at the lineups of recent top teams like Vegas, Tampa, Colorado, Boston and ask yourself, could Walker, Seeler or Ristolainen even get out of their press box? Answer: Obviously not. Then we don't need them going forward.

Staal was acquired to be traded, but Torts hasn't played him enough to build any value. The only teams that might take him are ones who know him, e.g. Fla or NYR, maybe Edm.

Jones and Briere talked about a rebuild. Were they blowing smoke or serious? They aren't doing it if they don't jettison tradeable assets for futures. Seeler will never have higher value. And they could re-up him in the offseason as a 6/7D if they want. Walker's value dipped but, like Laughton, he's playing better lately. Trade them all. Acquire some future assets. Build to be competitive with good team in a few years, and to take a run at the Cup in 2027-28 and beyond, once Michkov gets settled in.

If they don't do this, they'll end up with 15 more years of the same squeaking in every other year and being mired in perpetual mediocrity. It's put up or shut up for a rebuild. Their fan base understands, do they?
I guess some dont… Not trading 3 average players doesn't mean 15 yrs of mediocrity.

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
Seeler leads the league in blocked shots, and at a time when the Flyers are down a starting goalie and relying on a rookie goalie to possibly go into the playoffs as the wildcard team, why in the world would you take away such an important defence man? Seeler should be untouchable. Risto won't be traded because of his huge contract, so Walker may be the D-man on the way out. I like Sean Walker, and Tort's has been getting the best out of him, but after acquiring Drysdale one of the defensemen will probably be traded. I'd rather lose Staal than any of the other defenders.
Staal has little to no value whatsoever other than the mentorship role. He would return the least

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I guess some dont… Not trading 3 average players doesn't mean 15 yrs of mediocrity.
It's not just three, those are the most likely in demand now and who might bring back some decent picks. Risto could be dealt now, but more likely at the draft. Atkinson, if he has a good year, might be a TDL candidate next spring.

The real decision is going to be extending Konecny or trading him. Does he fit their window? I love TK so I'm happy if he stays for the rebuild, as you do need a few vets and we have a couple on untradeable long contracts, - Couts and Sanheim.

Last edited:
Reactions: JRichard

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Travis Konecny was elevated to the role of assistant captain yeasterday, and Sean Couturier is the Flyers new captain.
Those who thought the Flyers would trade either one of those players can cross them off the list.
Sean Walker and Nick Seeler still may be traded, as will Scott Laughton (who is also an assistant captain, but by elevating TK to that title just before the TD may be an indication that Sarge might be dealt).

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
F

Gain 5 million caproom this year and next. Flyers are playoff team, third in their division. They might want to add good player.
The coach, the GM, the team President, and the CEO have all publicly stated we're rebuilding. They've done so numerous times, as recently as this week, and have said they have no intention of mortgaging any part of the future for the present. Could they all be lying? Of course. Is it likely they're lying, given the consistency of the message and the recency with which it's been repeated? I doubt it.

If someone actually wanted Petersen, that would be a miracle, but sure, I can't imagine we'd refuse to move him. That said, we aren't attaching assets to do so.

If we wanted to add good players, we have $1.7M in cap space as it stands, can trade any of Laughton, Walker, Seeler, and Staal to clear more space, and can move Ellis to LTIR whenever it's convenient. Cap space is not at a premium in Philly.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
The coach, the GM, the team President, and the CEO have all publicly stated we're rebuilding. They've done so numerous times, as recently as this week, and have said they have no intention of mortgaging any part of the future for the present. Could they all be lying? Of course. Is it likely they're lying, given the consistency of the message and the recency with which it's been repeated? I doubt it.

If someone actually wanted Petersen, that would be a miracle, but sure, I can't imagine we'd refuse to move him. That said, we aren't attaching assets to do so.

If we wanted to add good players, we have $1.7M in cap space as it stands, can trade any of Laughton, Walker, Seeler, and Staal to clear more space, and can move Ellis to LTIR whenever it's convenient. Cap space is not at a premium in Philly.
Oh go away, I thought they would want a Cup. Guess not. That's a good team, East wide open. Flyers only top player away. I remember they played us killed us on transition. Bruins usually choke, Sergechev out, Leafs top heavy, Canes, Jersey no netminding.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Oh go away, I thought they would want a Cup. Guess not. That's a good team, East wide open. Flyers only top player away. I remember they played us killed us on transition. Bruins usually choke, Sergechev out, Leafs top heavy, Canes, Jersey no netminding.
Flyers as is are just fine as-is to win the Cup. They certainly don't need to add assets to unload Petersen, their current 2nd goalie, to then hopefully acquire a difference maker, when they are quite clearly no difference makers out there for this Flyers squad. Who, or what, exactly do you think is the missing ingredient?

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
Let's be very clear here. We are not winning a cup this year. A red Solo cup perhaps. The coach even said we are not good enough to have an average Coots. We need him to be great.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Let's be very clear here. We are not winning a cup this year. A red Solo cup perhaps. The coach even said we are not good enough to have an average Coots. We need him to be great.
That's good team to me, when you played us, small sample size though. Looked Well coached, big center back in Couterier, defense looked strong. Sanheim, career year, York played well, even Walker solid. That's 3 main parts. Flyers looked to have depth up front. A player away from cup contender. You had Hart back then though.

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I think it will depend on where they stand at TDL. No team throws in the towel when they are in a playoff spot.
Well Briere better throw in the towel even if the Flyers are sitting in a playoff spot at the TDL. This team isn't a Stanley Cup contender, they're overachieving and Briere has to stay the course regarding the rebuild despite what the standings say. Trade the players you can even TK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad