Value of: Sean Monahan

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Would do Dumba. Not interested in taking him on for futures due to expansion, otherwise our 1st + prospect would probably be in play

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Would do Dumba. Not interested in taking him on for futures due to expansion, otherwise our 1st + prospect would probably be in play
Definitely something worth considering. Not my first choice of a return but just due to value alone we'd have to seriously consider it. Dumba has been a legit top-pairing RD this year, add in the fact he grew up in Calgary and is in his prime and it's definitely something to consider. We'd have to move a different dman to protect him tho, but I'd happily move Hanifin for forward help

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
The question is how many pieces do you have to add to Monahan to get Jack Eichel?
A lot. Buffalo fans will get a great package from LA/NYand other teams if Eichel ever gets on the block. Unless we trade Monahan, Gaudreau, and Hanifin for Eichel and something else (I don’t know, pending UFA Hall?) and flips both forwards for picks and prospects, then sure, I guess we have a chance. Otherwise, the top end prospects of LA/NY would be more enticing to both Jack and Buffalo.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
This poster doesn't speak for any of the Flames fans, and we're pretty sure he's not even a fan of the team,might as well trade everyone off for nothing right? Fire the GM and Coaching staff and get a better overall coach in, and a GM who knows how to work with an NHL team

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
A lot. Buffalo fans will get a great package from LA/NYand other teams if Eichel ever gets on the block. Unless we trade Monahan, Gaudreau, and Hanifin for Eichel and something else (I don’t know, pending UFA Hall?) and flips both forwards for picks and prospects, then sure, I guess we have a chance. Otherwise, the top end prospects of LA/NY would be more enticing to both Jack and Buffalo.

If Buffalo would take Hanfian, Johnny and Monahan for Eichel Calgary should do it.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
SM is a good centre, and on a fair contract. I just don’t think he’s a number one centre on a winning team. So what value does a really good number two centre have? Likely a first rounder, but 10-20 in the round, and a good prospect. Why would the
Flames do that? They are in win now mode, so wouldn’t it be best to keep SM?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
SM is a good centre, and on a fair contract. I just don’t think he’s a number one centre on a winning team. So what value does a really good number two centre have? Likely a first rounder, but 10-20 in the round, and a good prospect. Why would the
Flames do that? They are in win now mode, so wouldn’t it be best to keep SM?

We can’t be called win now mode when we are playing the way we’re playing. Our “win now” ship has sailed after the HC change and the core not playing hard at all anymore. They’re checked out. There’s is no win now mode. At this point Calgary is better off selling Gaudreau and Monahan and letting some other rookies play. We’re at that point.

the only player that would make sense to get to try and salvage anything would be Eichel.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
We can’t be called win now mode when we are playing the way we’re playing. Our “win now” ship has sailed after the HC change and the core not playing hard at all anymore. They’re checked out. There’s is no win now mode. At this point Calgary is better off selling Gaudreau and Monahan and letting some other rookies play. We’re at that point.

the only player that would make sense to get to try and salvage anything would be Eichel.
Well the Flames did just sign Markstrom and Tanev (two older players) to longer termed contracts, so that’s a win now philosophy, isn’t it?
Maybe, if they are trading one guy, it should be Tkatchuk? He has very high value. I just don’t see trading away SM as a smart idea. He’s their top centre.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
O’Rielly went for a first, second, Bregon and Thompson. He’s probably the closest comparable I can get think of(this was pre-cup/Blues breakout)

I think he’d be a good fit for the Blue Jackets.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017

There's players like Backlund and Gio both who are probably playing their final contracts, the GM just signed a top 4 dman in Tanev and the top UFA goalie in Markstrom to decent sized contracts, with Vets like Ryan and Lucic and you're saying they're not win now? We sell off our stars who are in their primes and we're rebuilding for 5-10 years, what would that tell any UFA's we try signing in the future? ... not really a good sign

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Well the Flames did just sign Markstrom and Tanev (two older players) to longer termed contracts, so that’s a win now philosophy, isn’t it?
Maybe, if they are trading one guy, it should be Tkatchuk? He has very high value. I just don’t see trading away SM as a smart idea. He’s their top centre.
Yeah, they did sign Markstrom and Tanev, which were solid additions. However, we’ve never really addressed getting another top forward, nor have we ever found someone to play with Gaudreau and Monahan. And now look where we are. I hope we don’t waste Markstrom’s prime, but it’s hard to see what’s going on right now.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
There's players like Backlund and Gio both who are probably playing their final contracts, the GM just signed a top 4 dman in Tanev and the top UFA goalie in Markstrom to decent sized contracts, with Vets like Ryan and Lucic and you're saying they're not win now? We sell off our stars who are in their primes and we're rebuilding for 5-10 years, what would that tell any UFA's we try signing in the future? ... not really a good sign
That’s on Treliving. How long have we seen that this core needs a shake up? How many more first round losses does it take for our GM to finally figure out that this core doesnt have what it takes? It’s not on Tanev and Markstrom, but I’m finding it doubtful at this point that we can make the playoffs next season.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
This poster doesn't speak for any of the Flames fans, and we're pretty sure he's not even a fan of the team,might as well trade everyone off for nothing right? Fire the GM and Coaching staff and get a better overall coach in, and a GM who knows how to work with an NHL team
Lol ya ur right i'm not a flames fan who is frustrated with our team i'm actually just a troll who hates hockey and fun and wants to terrorize you. I definitely speak on behalf of a lot of fans when I try to gauge Monahan's value and see if it's worth it shipping him for a retool

Mike Smith

Jan 9, 2019
Yeah, they did sign Markstrom and Tanev, which were solid additions. However, we’ve never really addressed getting another top forward, nor have we ever found someone to play with Gaudreau and Monahan. And now look where we are. I hope we don’t waste Markstrom’s prime, but it’s hard to see what’s going on right now.
If we are serious about getting some pieces for a rebuild... we would need to look 3 or 4 years down the road before we would be a competitive team right? I wonder what sort of package Edmonton ( who seems desperate for goaltending ) would offer... Also Tanev could go to Winnipeg... If the right offers were there...

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Lol ya ur right i'm not a flames fan who is frustrated with our team i'm actually just a troll who hates hockey and fun and wants to terrorize you. I definitely speak on behalf of a lot of fans when I try to gauge Monahan's value and see if it's worth it shipping him for a retool
How would trading SM make the Flames better though?

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
That’s on Treliving. How long have we seen that this core needs a shake up? How many more first round losses does it take for our GM to finally figure out that this core doesnt have what it takes? It’s not on Tanev and Markstrom, but I’m finding it doubtful at this point that we can make the playoffs next season.

Like i mentioned theres 2 long time Flames players more than likely on their last contracts, a few other Vets we've had before this season and we just signed the top UFA goalie to address our BIGGEST need since Kiprusoff retired, its easier to trade for a top 6 RW and stay in the loop than it is to trade away the player that's lead Calgary in scoring since he's entered the league, whos going to replace Gaudreau's top line scoring if we trade him? Who will be our gamebreaking player if we trade him for futures while we have a capable #1 Goaltender? You think its as simple as getting a teams top prospect for Gaudreau and then him breaking out on our collapsing team after losing our only star forward? You trade for what you're missing, not trade away the top player while the team is in a literal win now mode, If Calgary wouldn't of signed Markstrom it'd make way more sense to rebuild, but Chucky, Mang, Lindholm, Dube can't replace what Gaudreau does for us, Lucic is performing better than most of the young guys who are supposed to be our core players, if Calgary is trading any players on the roster it needs to be apart of the leadership crew of Gio/Ryan/Backlund to bring in some leaders who will actually wake up the team before the game, Ward needs to go, Treliving needs to go, and the leaders in the locker room need to go, it's not on the players still being lead by the old core, you think Gaudreau is allowed to talk in the locker room? Lol you think Monahan is allowed to talk? ...

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
How would trading SM make the Flames better though?

Because we need to re-tool so that we're worse for the next year or 2 and then better in 2-3 years instead of mediocre for the next 5. Ship Monahan, get like 2 early/mid-1sts this year and some reinforcements on top of Pelletier or an equivalent player to change the composition of our roster.

In my opinion we need more consistent two-way players with Tkachuk and Gaudreau to mask their inconsistent one-dimensional abilities. They are unreal when they're on but when they're not scoring we're in trouble. As opposed to going full rebuild and moving Gaudreau and Tkachuk, we should re-tool and build around them with great young complimentary players. On paper we already have a decent amount of scoring options in our top-6 between Gaudreau Tkachuk Lindholm Mangiapane. Our bottom-6 scoring is a whole other issue we also need a big upgrade with. I think it's a huge win if we move Monahan for a good return (1st+prospect+bottom-6 scorer), draft two good young centers/forwards in the first round, and replace Monahan's 6 mil with a different first-line player or two great two-way C's this summer

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017

You have literally poured out 15-25 proposals in the last 3 weeks, at least 5 of them involve Monahan, and not a single one of them improves Calgary's overall performance, out of all the cheap proposals you make maybe 2-4 of them have made sense, the rest are bad for the Flames, you think im the only one who sees these? Stick to your pen and paper, maybe after you write down 700 proposals you'll make something fair for both teams involved, here you can take the GM's job with you

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I usually disagree with you, but it's time for Monahan to find a new home. My preference would be to move him for a good RWer. I'd like something along the lines of Buchnevich and a futures piece for him. Shift Lindholm to Monahan's spot and Buchnevich to Lindholms. I've also been Bennett's biggest supporter. His quit on that backcheck last night after Lucic and him combined for that turnover changed my mind.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Like i mentioned theres 2 long time Flames players more than likely on their last contracts, a few other Vets we've had before this season and we just signed the top UFA goalie to address our BIGGEST need since Kiprusoff retired, its easier to trade for a top 6 RW and stay in the loop than it is to trade away the player that's lead Calgary in scoring since he's entered the league, whos going to replace Gaudreau's top line scoring if we trade him? Who will be our gamebreaking player if we trade him for futures while we have a capable #1 Goaltender? You think its as simple as getting a teams top prospect for Gaudreau and then him breaking out on our collapsing team after losing our only star forward? You trade for what you're missing, not trade away the top player while the team is in a literal win now mode, If Calgary wouldn't of signed Markstrom it'd make way more sense to rebuild, but Chucky, Mang, Lindholm, Dube can't replace what Gaudreau does for us, Lucic is performing better than most of the young guys who are supposed to be our core players, if Calgary is trading any players on the roster it needs to be apart of the leadership crew of Gio/Ryan/Backlund to bring in some leaders who will actually wake up the team before the game, Ward needs to go, Treliving needs to go, and the leaders in the locker room need to go, it's not on the players still being lead by the old core, you think Gaudreau is allowed to talk in the locker room? Lol you think Monahan is allowed to talk? ...

give me a break, Monahan and Gaudreau have been given plenty of opportunity to get far in the playoffs. It’s on them now. I agree that we need to keep Gaudreau, but we have to move on from Monahan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad