Player Discussion Sean Monahan

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Sean Monahan will be the star of his draft class.

He is a true student of the game. His tribulations will make him a much better and complete player. There is a reason Hartley anointed him the #1 center last year after 25 or so games and that is more a statement of Sean's dedication to the game, his team, and ultimately his ability to be the best player on the ice.

29 points and many are declaring the sky is falling. Well it is not.

Unlike Barkov, McKinnon or others in his draft year Sean didn't what to be shielded on the second line. He embraced the role he needed to play and with it he had to know there would be some growing pains.

I could get into the style of play the coaching staff has chose and how it is failing the team but that really serves no purpose.

Sean Monahan will still walk away from this season with 55 plus points and there will still be many that will point out his bad season but Trevling and Burke know who will lead the team to the cup.

The Flames on the whole are having a poor season.

Pick up a couple more pieces to the puzzle and look to the future. The sky is far from falling.

Err... I don't completely disagree with you, but I was under the assumption he was put in that role due to Stajan (our 1C at the time) and Backlund (our 2C) Both injured at the same time and Hartley had no choice. I even recall many would have been happy if Monahan could stay just afloat. He did more than that. He even produced while playing as our 1C.

Monahan took the opportunity and ran with it. Gaudreau did the same knocking out literally Baertschi in preseason and Glencross and Raymond mid season to take on the top 6 role. We had a sophomore and a rookie on our 1st line. Think about that for a second and then consider how bad our roster looked on paper starting last season. When Stajan and Backlund returned, they were not able to shake Mony out of his temporary 1C role. He's been our 1C since then. Stajan has fallen to 4C since then and the 3C continues to be a litmus test for newer and younger centre prospects.

Monahan and Gaudreau have been nothing short of miraculous. But let's not assume we knew all along this would happen.

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
To everyone who's ready to throw Monahan under the bus for not producing like last season, at the 48 GP point of last season, he had 15 goals and 17 assists for 32 points. That's a 0.667 ppg pace. Right now, he's got 14 goals, 15 assists for 29 points and is at a 0.604 ppg pace. So he's only a short streak away from being at the same pace. I've been really impressed with his Face Offs lately. He seems to be doing a lot better at that this season. He's still young and will bounce back in he points totals. Having a never ending carousel of linemates with him and Gaudreau could be throwing him off as well.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Hes 21 year old. Hes going to have ups and downs throughout. I'm still quite pleased with his progression and where he is currently at.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Was great to see Sean put up a monster game tonight after all the smack he has been getting lately

YourAverageFan*

Jan 19, 2016
6 points in the last 3 games and suddenly Monahan is on pace for close to 60 points.. and Gaudreau has only been involved on one of those points.

They've all been primary points as well (2 goals, 4 primary assists). He's been fantastic the last 3 games, including going 32-24 in the faceoff dot (57%) in that span.

Slush

Jan 26, 2016
Calgary, Canada
Monohan is going to be real good for the Flames for a long time to come. He's good now just wait until he is in his prime! Monohan is doing just fine.

YourAverageFan*

Jan 19, 2016
So about Monahan taking a step back this season and riding Gaudreau... 10 points in the last 6 games (3 goals, 7 assists, +7, 16 shots, 52.8% face-off percentage (66-59)). All of his points have been primary points (3 goals, 7 primary assists) and Gaudreau has only been in on 5 of those points.

Monahan is on fire

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So about Monahan taking a step back this season and riding Gaudreau... 10 points in the last 6 games (3 goals, 7 assists, +7, 16 shots, 52.8% face-off percentage (66-59)). All of his points have been primary points (3 goals, 7 primary assists) and Gaudreau has only been in on 5 of those points.

Monahan is on fire
He should get at least 25 goals and 55 points even if he slows down, but if he stays hot maybe he pushes 30 goals and 65 points.

WeegarUnderwood

Fan of Intangibles
Jan 13, 2014
Vancouver, B.C
What a beauty eh? So happy we drafted him

For real tho, what do you guys think he ends up as? Will he become a 40 goal scorer? That'd be awesome

Edit: I mean later in his career, but 40 goals this year would be pretty cool too :D

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What a beauty eh? So happy we drafted him

For real tho, what do you guys think he ends up as? Will he become a 40 goal scorer? That'd be awesome
I've been preaching this for a while but I truly believe Monahan is more of a playmaker than goal scorer, he's not a sniper by any means as the large majority of his goals come from within a few feet of the net but has has great hands and vision and his playmaking abilities are going to continue to grow more than his goal scoring. I think Monahan will be a consistent 30 goal scorer because of his willingness to go to the net, but will I think we will see him grow into a 50+ assist guy as well.

This is also why I keep suggesting Bennett as #1RW, because unlike Gaudreau and Monahan he is a natural goal scorer and with those 2 setting him up I think he can be a 40 goal scorer.

WeegarUnderwood

Fan of Intangibles
Jan 13, 2014
Vancouver, B.C
I've been preaching this for a while but I truly believe Monahan is more of a playmaker than goal scorer, he's not a sniper by any means as the large majority of his goals come from within a few feet of the net but has has great hands and vision and his playmaking abilities are going to continue to grow more than his goal scoring. I think Monahan will be a consistent 30 goal scorer because of his willingness to go to the net, but will I think we will see him grow into a 50+ assist guy as well.

This is also why I keep suggesting Bennett as #1RW, because unlike Gaudreau and Monahan he is a natural goal scorer and with those 2 setting him up I think he can be a 40 goal scorer.

Wow that's sounds amazing. A line of Gaudreau, Monahan and Bennett, hot diggity. The future is very exciting, not to say the present isn't tho :laugh:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Monahan is on fire

That's great, but it's too little too late. Even Ryan Nugent-Hopkins puts up points to pad his stats at the end of seasons.

YourAverageFan*

Jan 19, 2016
That's great, but it's too little too late. Even Ryan Nugent-Hopkins puts up points to pad his stats at the end of seasons.

Points are points, no matter what part of the season you're in. When the Flames were battling for a playoff spot last season, Monahan did the exact same thing near the end of the season. And it's not just points, he's been fantastic in every aspect in these 6 games.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Points are points, no matter what part of the season you're in. When the Flames were battling for a playoff spot last season, Monahan did the exact same thing near the end of the season. And it's not just points, he's been fantastic in every aspect in these 6 games.
You're wasting your breath, this is the guy that wants to trade Monahan for a magic Finnish bean

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I can't wait until he hits an inevitable cold streak again, then he will suck again. :laugh:

All young players have highs and lows, us fans need to learn to stay in the middle during these times. Monahan is a special player, we are lucky to have him and would silly to deal him. I honestly would not deal him for Malkin.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
I can't wait until he hits an inevitable cold streak again, then he will suck again. :laugh:

All young players have highs and lows, us fans need to learn to stay in the middle during these times. Monahan is a special player, we are lucky to have him and would silly to deal him. I honestly would not deal him for Malkin.
Scoring was never the problem with Monahan. Even during his cold streak, he was on a similar scoring pace as last year at even strength.

Still believe he's on, or near, his prime.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Scoring was never the problem with Monahan. Even during his cold streak, he was on a similar scoring pace as last year at even strength.

Still believe he's on, or near, his prime.

Offensively? Probably. Defensively he's still got time to grow.

I'll take a center that has some leadership skills and will put up 25-35 goals a year and 50-65 points no problems.

Its pretty much right on or slightly above what he was projected as when he was drafted.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
What's this implying, RNH is bad?

RNH is not a #1C, no matter how hot he gets every February/March when his team is well out of the picture and not even worth scoutng.

Offensively? Probably. Defensively he's still got time to grow.

Monahan growing a bit defensively means he'll be a 60 point, defensively average center. Which is fine. But 60 point, defensively average centers are not #1Cs. They're Ryan Nugent Hopkins' and Eric Staals and Stamkos' (modern Stamkos, not prime Stamkos)

To be a defensively average #1 you need to be offensively elite like Tavares or Seguin, to be a 60 point #1 you need to be defensively elite like Bergeron or Toews. Monahan is trending towards a upper-tier #2C. Which is fine if Bennett develops into #1. But nothing to gloat about.

Perceptor

World Class
Mar 19, 2012
Calgary, AB
Sean Monahan will be the star of his draft class.

He is a true student of the game. His tribulations will make him a much better and complete player. There is a reason Hartley anointed him the #1 center last year after 25 or so games and that is more a statement of Sean's dedication to the game, his team, and ultimately his ability to be the best player on the ice.

29 points and many are declaring the sky is falling. Well it is not.

Unlike Barkov, McKinnon or others in his draft year Sean didn't what to be shielded on the second line. He embraced the role he needed to play and with it he had to know there would be some growing pains.

I could get into the style of play the coaching staff has chose and how it is failing the team but that really serves no purpose.

Sean Monahan will still walk away from this season with 55 plus points and there will still be many that will point out his bad season but Trevling and Burke know who will lead the team to the cup.

The Flames on the whole are having a poor season.

Pick up a couple more pieces to the puzzle and look to the future. The sky is far from falling.

I agree that he'll be fine but I do think MacKinnon and Barkov will be better. Not a slight on Monny though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad