Player Discussion Sean Monahan

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Oooooh how quick people are to forget. Monahan is far from a terrible passer, some of those tic tac toe plays with Gaudreau and Hudler were downright nasty, but because he's THE finisher on our team, blah blah, what's the point, it's been stated multiple times.

"THE finisher" on the Flames had less goals last season than his linemate Johnny Gaudreau. The season prior, he was tied with Hudler for team lead. He's not THE finisher on the team. He's the guy on the top line who is better at shooting the puck than he is at anything else, but he's not the only shooting option the Flames have, especially on his line.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
That's such a pile of crap. Seriously, you or any other poster can feel free to go dig up posts where "Monahan defenders" on this board have called Monahan a top 2-way player. I can almost guarantee that you won't find any in the last 2 years. Pretty much any sane poster has openly admitted Monahan has flaws to his game like basically any player his age does.

Have MacKinnon, Barkov, Drouin, Jones or Lindholm all been studs since their draft? Or let's go back another year and look at more "seasoned" players, Yak, Murray, Galchenyuk, Reilly, Lindholm, none have had any inconsistencies either, huh? Well maybe you think that draft was poor, well in 2014 there was Ekblad, Reinhart, Leon, Bennett, Dal Colle. Monahan is in the same tier as every single player and produced more except for maybe Leon.

My point is, everyone will acknowledge Monahan isn't perfect. But his critics, criticize him because he's not Bergeron or Toews because that was draft profile. Call him what he is, he's a fine young player. If he has holes, that's up to the coach to teach him and deploy him to utilize his strengths and that's being done. Luckily for us we do have Backlund and we can use him as our elite shutdown C until Monahan gets to a point where he's more comfortable in that role. And if that day never comes, I'm still happy as heck that we have a player that can score 35-40 goals and is over 6ft in height.

It's not about defending the Flames at all costs, it's about sticking up for our players over blatant hate that comes off as trolling.

No man, how other players in his draft are doing has nothing to do with Monahan.

My point is the Flames need Monahan to be a top player to be successful and he has not shown it so far.
I am not even saying he cant be one. He just needs to get his **** together fast. This thing with starting the season slowly is getting old.

I do not know why one even wants to argue that point other than they are being a blind homer.

So who the f*** cares if he is the best in his draft class and it's not hate, it's opinion and everyone is allowed to have one.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
No man, how other players in his draft are doing has nothing to do with Monahan.

My point is the Flames need Monahan to be a top player to be successful and he has not shown it so far.
I am not even saying he cant be one. He just needs to get his **** together fast. This thing with starting the season slowly is getting old.

I do not know why one even wants to argue that point other than they are being a blind homer.

So who the f*** cares if he is the best in his draft class and it's not hate, it's opinion and everyone is allowed to have one.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but my point flew over your head entirely. Being that all the young players right in and around that draft class have had inconsistencies in their career so far. It comes along with the territory when you're speaking about young players. The curve Monahan is on and is really promising and I'm really encouraged by our coach and happy that Monahan is going to get to learn from him.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but my point flew over your head entirely. Being that all the young players right in and around that draft class have had inconsistencies in their career so far. It comes along with the territory when you're speaking about young players. The curve Monahan is on and is really promising and I'm really encouraged by our coach and happy that Monahan is going to get to learn from him.

yeah I hope so too but I do not think the window to take the next step is that big. It's kinda disappointing in the first 20 games or so. The hard working leader type we drafted was not there.

BTW, I think Mckinnon is even a worse disappointment for what it's worth.

Last edited:

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Wait so at 22 years old Monahan can't take another step?

Even if his offense stalls at 30/30 (I firmly believe in 40/30) pretty much every forward grows defensively right to the end of their career.

Look at guys like Duchene, Tavares, etc. Offense first but grown quite good defensively. Stamkos is damn good defensively now but still just known as a goal scorer. Stastny was an offense first player who became one of the best two way forwards in the league. There are tons of examples.

So I guess it really just depends on your definition of 'the next step'. Which he still has a few years to find another offensive gear, and his whole career to become way better defensively.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I cannot believe you guys are still pissing all over monahan :laugh: It's been days of this. The kid is 22 and is a primo sniper. Sure his overall game needs to be rounded out, especially to be a an effective center...He's 22, chill out, You'll see him get better as time goes by, guaranteed. and hell no! We shouldn't move him to the wing. Let him grow into a quality top 6 center.

:popcorn:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I cannot believe you guys are still pissing all over monahan :laugh: It's been days of this. The kid is 22 and is a primo sniper. Sure his overall game needs to be rounded out, especially to be a an effective center...He's 22, chill out, You'll see him get better as time goes by, guaranteed. and hell no! We shouldn't move him to the wing. Let him grow into a quality top 6 center.

:popcorn:

At some point it would be worth considering moving him to the wing. Like, if he spends a full season or more under Gulutzan and still doesn't seem to be doing the defensive support that he should be as a centre, I say throw him on the wing. He plays a great game for a goal scoring winger, but the only centre-specific thing he does particularly well is win faceoffs (and he can do that as a winger, if need be).

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
At some point it would be worth considering moving him to the wing. Like, if he spends a full season or more under Gulutzan and still doesn't seem to be doing the defensive support that he should be as a centre, I say throw him on the wing. He plays a great game for a goal scoring winger, but the only centre-specific thing he does particularly well is win faceoffs (and he can do that as a winger, if need be).

I also think playing as a winger would be good for his offensive development. I don't see it as a demotion.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Well if we were deep on C it could be something to consider, but if that were to happen our 3 Cs will be Bennett, Backlund and Stajan. No thanks.

Moving Monahan to the wing is a terrible idea.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I don't usually post much due to the circumstances, but if you wanted my opinion you keep Monahan at C.

1) He's 22, we need to calm our expectations.
2) The only way he'll get better at center is if he continues to play center.

I don't see him as a #1C to be honest, I see him as a 1B, along with Sam Bennett. I think they will be inter-changing a lot who is the #1C depending on the match-ups or who is hot.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
2) The only way he'll get better at center is if he continues to play center.

Disagree. Expanding his positional experience could potentially make him better at a later return to centre. It happened with Jeff Carter, it happened with Brent Burns, it happened with Dustin Byfuglien. Even ROR has seen time at wing in his career and he's starting to develop into a #1C. I'm not arguing 100% causation here, but there are some advantages to Monahan learning to play the wing that could increase his confidence at centre and understanding of how best he can make a large impact shift after shift.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Look at the vast majority of guys that became #1c's over the last 15 years. Monahan had more success at 22 then most of those guys...

All the arguments presented against Sean have been really poor and if you think he's been weak defensively lately, then all I can say is LOL.

Last edited:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Disagree. Expanding his positional experience could potentially make him better at a later return to centre. It happened with Jeff Carter, it happened with Brent Burns, it happened with Dustin Byfuglien. Even ROR has seen time at wing in his career and he's starting to develop into a #1C. I'm not arguing 100% causation here, but there are some advantages to Monahan learning to play the wing that could increase his confidence at centre and understanding of how best he can make a large impact shift after shift.

Would only do it if Janko was playing 3C and Bennett/Backlund at 1/2C. There are some that can play both positions, I just do not see that in Monahan. Though, I know nothing of his OHL stint and anything else below if he was a LW/RW at any point.

We need to be patient with our centers... I really think Bennett and Monahan will require a few more years as centers to make us really good down the middle.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
All the arguments presented against Sean have been really poor and if you think he's been weak defensively lately, then all I can say is LOL.

Not able to generate chances and floating is not the same as weak defensively.

But I do agree that he is young and has time to grow.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I find it rather entertaining that those arguing for Monahan to be moved to the wing are also the ones proposing Sam be played at center. A position that Bennett is having difficulties at. In my opinion it is a great commentary on how ill informed these "self-declared experts" are.

All credibility is lost when you couple the the 2 thought patterns. IMO Bennett would do much better with Jankowski playing center. Then two to three years down the road when Bennett is ready he can be given an opportunity.

In all fairness to all three of those players I have mentioned we have seen but the tip of the iceberg. All three are on the track for some very big things but all have to develop more to see their full potential.

Within 2 years I expect them, Matthew, and JG becoming major forces in the NHL. Now if we could find a premiere RW to fill out a spot in the top 6.

Sean will be the leader of this team and as I have said repeatedly management is much more knowledgeable about Monahan's potential than many of the hacks commenting on this thread.

Spout on-- you just look more and more ridiculous with every comment.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I find it rather entertaining that those arguing for Monahan to be moved to the wing are also the ones proposing Sam be played at center. A position that Bennett is having difficulties at.

Despite the narrative that's floating around, Bennett has consistently played his worst hockey at LW. He has also outplayed Monahan at centre every time he has played centre. About the only argument for Monahan is that he wins more faceoffs, which we know are irrelevant in all but very acutely specific situations.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
look, if we had a plethora of centers I wouldn't mind trying monahan on the wing. But we dont...Janko doesn't reallly strike me as a guy who is ready. In all honesty, Monahan has improved steadily since the start of the year, why would we move him???? :help:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Despite the narrative that's floating around, Bennett has consistently played his worst hockey at LW. He has also outplayed Monahan at centre every time he has played centre. About the only argument for Monahan is that he wins more faceoffs, which we know are irrelevant in all but very acutely specific situations.

He has been quite good at C this season, but historically he was much more effective on LW. The reasons for this are highly debatable though.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
He has been quite good at C this season, but historically he was much more effective on LW. The reasons for this are highly debatable though.

I think the one word answer on Bennett is maturity. Physically Sam needs some meat on his bones to play that physical style. He has made strides this year in this category but likely needs another 15 lbs to be effective. The second part is the maturity to be more patient and find his spots on the ice.

Sam is really young and unlike Monahan he plays a less intelligence based game and more of a instinct and grit based game. It simply is going to take him longer because of his style.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Have you forgotten how bad he was on Granlund's LW, or on Stajan's LW?

The only time he was effective at LW was when he had great linemates (Backlund/Frolik). Where he has looked good at C even with guys like Brouwer and Chiasson on his wing.

Last edited:

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Have you forgotten how bad he was on Granlund's LW, or on Stajan's LW?

The only time he was effective at LW was when he had great linemates (Backlund/Frolik).

Trying to compare 4th line talent to second line talent. Really?

Quit trying to justify a personal agenda.

Johnny has been with Sam for 3 games and the disparity between Sean and Sam offensively is quite apparent. When the Flames are needing a goal Gully is still playing Gaudreau on Monahan's line.

Gaudreau is on Sam's line to help him develop; not because Sam is the best center. This is no slight on Sam. At this point and time Bennett is not even close to being a #1 center.

Did you watch that PP last night with Sean, Johnny, Versteeg, and Brouwer? It was dominant. If it weren't for Smith the PP percentage would have been allot higher.

I really would like to see Thachuk get some time with Monahan. I think the results would be crazy good in terms of possession and scoring.

FYI Face-offs are huge in the NHL. By winning draws you control the play for longer and reduce scoring chances while increasing your own. There is a reason Toews spent an entire summer mastering his technique.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad