Player Discussion Sean Monahan

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Have you forgotten how bad he was on Granlund's LW, or on Stajan's LW?

The only time he was effective at LW was when he had great linemates (Backlund/Frolik). Where he has looked good at C even with guys like Brouwer and Chiasson on his wing.

If by bad you mean, didn't produce. Otherwise he was perfectly fine on LW. He struggled defensively at C primarily because he hadn't bulked up yet.

Now that his body has matured it isn't surprising to see him doing well at C.

Sam is with Gaudreau because JG will help him produce, and because Sam is ready to play as a top 6 C. Monahan can produce with Versteeg, and when needed Gully still throws out Gaudreau/Monahan on the PP and in situations where we need a goal badly.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Well, Hox, I guess the answer to your question is that while he provided plenty of razzle, he failed to dazzle.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I've noticed a trend with Monahan.

Starts off looking awful.
Fans constantly rag on him.
Heats up.
Paces for 30g/60p
Ends season with 30g/60p
Is still a good number one centre
m

He's basically Iginla. :laugh: If he can get off to a hotter start then he should eventually be able to creep into that 75pt range.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
I know this is a old post, but I can't believe I missed it.
If by bad you mean, didn't produce. Otherwise he was perfectly fine on LW.
Amazing. You people are so much obsessed with fiction forward scoring's no longer a big deal.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Amazing. You people are so much obsessed with fiction forward scoring's no longer a big deal.

Great counter argument. :laugh: Forwards do things other than score. I think these types of things might even show up in, advanced stats?! I also enjoyed the shout out to the always useful 'invisible other'.

Last edited:

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007

67136969.jpg

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
What do you want me to call you? Popeye Candy Sticks? If you don't give your group a name, I've to say "you people" to make a proper sentence.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What do you want me to call you? Popeye Candy Sticks? If you don't give your group a name, I've to say "you people" to make a proper sentence.
I think you need to refine your sense of humor a bit, that was very clearly a joke

Shawnofthedeadz

Jan 18, 2013
Monahan is now in the NHL's top 25 for faceoff percentage at 53% and tied at 22nd for goals.

Pretty good for a winger scoring d-man goals. Now if he could only get more goalie assists he could become a more complete player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad