Sean Monahan, 1st round, 6th overall

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Monahan looks like a disinterested older step brother just meeting his much younger step brothers.

Feel free to call me out for that tremendous leap.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
As long as his face off draws improve (which I'm sure it will) hes going to be a beast.
they are improving. went up 3-4% from last year and sadly Monahan's 49.3% is still in the top 60 for faceoff leaders. If he can improve another 2-3% next season now suddenly he is looking at being in the top 30.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Someone can correct me if wrong, but Monahan was in the top 5 for FO draws.

He's only going to get better with more attempts at such a young age.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Okay... my point is he needs to improve his percentage, which is whats important.
definitely, but very few young players come in and are dynamos on faceoffs. This year was a major step for him IMO, not only did Monahan improve his FO% by 3.4% he also took almost 800 more draws, an increase of 85%. That IMO is a very major stride, not only did he improve his percentage but he maintained that improvement over almost double the draws.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
definitely, but very few young players come in and are dynamos on faceoffs. This year was a major step for him IMO, not only did Monahan improve his FO% by 3.4% he also took almost 800 more draws, an increase of 85%. That IMO is a very major stride, not only did he improve his percentage but he maintained that improvement over almost double the draws.

I feel like I should remind everyone I'm not being negative here on Sean, I think hes a beast, but it is the one area I think he needs to improve and as mentioned is generally something that comes with experience.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I feel like I should remind everyone I'm not being negative here on Sean, I think hes a beast, but it is the one area I think he needs to improve and as mentioned is generally something that comes with experience.
Oh I know. I just want to give him credit for improving and point out that there is a good chance that continues for the foreseeable future.

I can see him jump another 3% next year, which would be to 52.3% which should sneak him into the top 30. If he can improve another 3% in the following 2 years and he is suddenly challenging for the top 10 in the league. Monahan has talked about faceoffs being a source of pride for him, so I have little doubt that he will be a top 5-10 guy in the league on draws within the next 3-4 years.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I would believe a 52% would improve his point total as well, maybe to 80pts which would make him one of the elite centers in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad