Former Bruins Sean Kuraly: Signs w/ Columbus

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He's been quite solid recently- a bit of a tough start, but he brings some speed, decent skills for a 4th liner, skates hard, consistently works hard game in and game out,throws the body, digs for pucks- basically if Ryan Spooner played Kuraly's game with his (Spooner's) skill set he'd be worth every penny- he'd be underpaid in fact.

I hope it isn't Kuraly that goes down. Right now (I know, injury played a role) Kuraly is on pace for about 20 pts, Spooner 35 over 82 games. I know this isn't about Spooner, and no way does Spooner get waived, but I know who I'd rather have long-term on my roster. I think Kuraly being waiver exempt could be the deciding factor.

Interesting to note that Acciari is waiver-eligible now, he wasn't to start the season but he crossed the games played threshold.

If the Bruins want to get down to 14 F without exposing anyone to waivers, they have 4 options (excluding Cehlarik who is injured).

Debrusk
Heinen
Bjork
Kuraly

My guess is Bjork goes down for a bit. Might not be long, but he might be victim of the numbers game.

Reactions: Dr Hook

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Kuraly is coming on strong, is there any legal reason why we can't expose Beleskey to waivers ?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Kuraly is coming on strong, is there any legal reason why we can't expose Beleskey to waivers ?

No reason, and it would probably be safe to do so as I can't imagine anyone claiming him. Then again, there has never been a legal reason they couldn't have done it earlier and haven't so I wouldn't expect to see it happen here either.

But all things equal, Beleskey should go down as he won't get claimed instead of a young player who needs the experience and of all the guys on @BruinDust 's list all four at contributing far more than Beleskey and don't deserve to get sent down.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
Interesting to note that Acciari is waiver-eligible now, he wasn't to start the season but he crossed the games played threshold.

If the Bruins want to get down to 14 F without exposing anyone to waivers, they have 4 options (excluding Cehlarik who is injured).

Debrusk
Heinen
Bjork
Kuraly

My guess is Bjork goes down for a bit. Might not be long, but he might be victim of the numbers game.
He deserves to go down....Or we can trade him as part of a package for a great player.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

Debrusk
Heinen
Bjork
Kuraly

Ive said many times i wont expect the team willingly plays more than 2 of heinen, bjork, debrusk, cehlerik in their top 9 if everyone is healthy

Even after the kids have exceled my evaluation hasnt changed. I think these kids are all outplaying spooner, vatrano, brlesky but i agree it will likely be bjork seeing time in ahl since heinen has been healthy

As for kuraly he plays a better style for bottom 6 and that gives him the edge to stay

Top 6 guys should play even if its at ahl to keep their skills sharp. Bottom 6 guys can learn even when they sit

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
I like him but not as much as the coach and have been trying to figure that out. Over the last 2 games, I think I finally understand it.

Kuraly is the 2nd best center on the team to come back and assist the D below the goal line. Obviously Bergeron is unparalleled in the league at supporting the D in every way. But Kuraly can often be seen coming back and forcing 2 on 1s to pull the puck out and go--just like Bergeron (although not quite at the same success rate). Nash also plays a strong defensive game but he's more about in front of the net shot blocks and boxing out. Kuraly can do some of that but is still learning.

It would be nice if Kuraly could rediscover his scoring touch from college. Maybe it will come back and maybe he just stays a first rate 4th line C. The Bruins had one of the best in Campbell until the game became too fast for him.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I like him but not as much as the coach and have been trying to figure that out. Over the last 2 games, I think I finally understand it.

Kuraly is the 2nd best center on the team to come back and assist the D below the goal line. Obviously Bergeron is unparalleled in the league at supporting the D in every way. But Kuraly can often be seen coming back and forcing 2 on 1s to pull the puck out and go--just like Bergeron (although not quite at the same success rate). Nash also plays a strong defensive game but he's more about in front of the net shot blocks and boxing out. Kuraly can do some of that but is still learning.

It would be nice if Kuraly could rediscover his scoring touch from college. Maybe it will come back and maybe he just stays a first rate 4th line C. The Bruins had one of the best in Campbell until the game became too fast for him.

Interesting observation. I still like Kuraly, but that 4th line hasn't been doing it for me of late. Maybe it needs a new look. Individually I like all the players in their contexts, but together they seem to get pinned in their own end a lot, or squander offensive opportunities. Kuraly is definitely Campbell-like but has the wheels to be relevant; maybe he'd thrive more with a different winger or two; Schaller and Acciari just aren't going to help Kuraly look better offensively.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Interesting observation. I still like Kuraly, but that 4th line hasn't been doing it for me of late. Maybe it needs a new look. Individually I like all the players in their contexts, but together they seem to get pinned in their own end a lot, or squander offensive opportunities. Kuraly is definitely Campbell-like but has the wheels to be relevant; maybe he'd thrive more with a different winger or two; Schaller and Acciari just aren't going to help Kuraly look better offensively.

I've actually thought the 4th line has looked the best they've been all season the last couple of games, especially Kuraly and Acciari.

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
wish he could shoot the puck. frankie and pasta need to get this guy on that flex life and show him how to let the stick do the work. he was the same in school, would beat guys to the outside all the time and then throw a muffin on net.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I've actually thought the 4th line has looked the best they've been all season the last couple of games, especially Kuraly and Acciari.

Yeah, I can see that too- it's tough with a 4th line because you have to manage expectations; it is a 4th line after all. I do like the players individually, I just think they need someone who can actually put the puck in the net from time to time. I once, early on, had hopes that Schaller might turn into another Mike Knuble, but it isn't looking like that anymore. Noel I love, but he isn't going to win any soft hands contest. They do bring good things, but I do wish they'd chip in with more offense.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA

I've not been a fan of Schaller since he was brought in. He definitely brings some size but long term I'd like to see Blidh given another chance as the 4th line LW. I don't think he played with Kuraly and Acciari last year--who I agree have been excellent on the 4th line lately. Blidh has the speed to keep up with Kuraly so maybe they could do some damage offensively.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Funny how Cassidy clearly hated Beleskey right from day one yet he can't seem to get enough of the no-talent Schaller.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I've not been a fan of Schaller since he was brought in. He definitely brings some size but long term I'd like to see Blidh given another chance as the 4th line LW. I don't think he played with Kuraly and Acciari last year--who I agree have been excellent on the 4th line lately. Blidh has the speed to keep up with Kuraly so maybe they could do some damage offensively.

Blidh -- Kuraly -- Acciari

It would definitely be fun to watch from a physical perspective. That said, not sure they're doing any damage offensively.

Reactions: 00BW

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
The Bruins' Forgotten Rookie

Whether it’s manning the middle of the ice and playing his role effectively or moving to the boards to compete for the puck, Kuraly has what it takes to win the individual puck battles at the NHL level with his size, skill and intelligence.
Kuraly/Schaller/Accari: Meatgrinder Line is just killing it for us. They're a possession machine operation on the ice that tires out the opposition and gives our top lines time to recoup. Worth their weight in gold.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I love that fourth line. Schaller-Kuraly-Acciari bring tons of energy, persistence and the odd goal or two. They never take a shift off and they make things happen when they're on the ice. The perfect fourth line, the best since Merlot and if they can stay together they will be better than Merlot.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Sweeney doesn't get enough credit for getting Kuraly

Ill always remember doug mclean going out of his way the day the trade was made to praise kuraly. Im a big mclean fan and it got me excited. So happy this kid is panning out

Plays a bit differnt style i guess but reminds me of past stories like dwight foster and kevyn adams as kids i was high on... then came along slowly... but eventually became very useful 4th liners

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I love that fourth line. Schaller-Kuraly-Acciari bring tons of energy, persistence and the odd goal or two. They never take a shift off and they make things happen when they're on the ice. The perfect fourth line, the best since Merlot and if they can stay together they will be better than Merlot.

If only Acciari didn't get hurt so much. I like this line together, though. As a unit...Great combination.

Reactions: BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad