Confirmed with Link: Sean Durzi traded to Arizona

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
and completely gone is the theory that walker was here to pump his trade value back up and that durzi has a longer term role

so really they just burned a year for f***ing absolutely nothing

there's that 1 month vision again
Criminal development plan..you couldve developed Clarke or Spence instead you waste an entire year on two guys with zero future w the team. Many of us said it - Clarke made Durzi instantly obsolete.. and Walker obviously had zero future with the team being like 8th on the depth chart...at least they shouldve waived him and let him ride out the year in Ontario if there were no takers - and see what Spence could do having more upside and a cheap contract. Brutal asset management.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Durzi finally gets traded…
Doughty sucks the big one…
Walker was the Anti-Christ…

Summer just started and there’s already a ton of spiciness in here. GiddyUp!

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I’m so glad they chose to play Durzi and Walker all season and denied Spence any meaningful experience.

I’m happy about this trade, but goddamnit with the long AND short term decision making.
Walker was coming off injury, and they had to play him in order to see what his future would be and to get any value in a trade. Everyone knows the first year back after a major knee injury is tough. And it was. In playing him, they were able to get value in the deal that freed up 7 mil in cap space, and opened up a spot for Spence or Clarke.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Realistically, the Kings have about 7.4M, and need to sign some combination of:

Vilardi
JAD
Kupari
Bjornfot
Fagemo
Goalie

Still tight. Another player is likely to get moved.
Moving Lizotte, Iafallo and Grundstrom would open 6,975,000. Provided no salary came back of course.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
People seem to forget Sean Durzi just finished his 2nd season.

He'll grow and continue to get better.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
in reference to the guys writing that the use of durzi was ultimately bad for player development and the future competitiveness of our team- it was not wasted time or useless planning. what it did was get the three stooges, blake macclellan and robitaille and year of those sweet, sweet AEG paychecks.
makes me disappointed that i never got the opportunity to combine poor planning, disorganization and a total lack of anything close to foresight into 7M/yr contracts.
AEG must be in a phase of just not giving a f***k what happens.
guys in montreal said that bergevin was like this- that he totally had no idea what he was doing as a gm. id like to think his role with the kings is small enough to minimize it or he hasnt been here long enough to screw us. maybe not.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Walker was coming off injury, and they had to play him in order to see what his future would be and to get any value in a trade. Everyone knows the first year back after a major knee injury is tough. And it was. In playing him, they were able to get value in the deal that freed up 7 mil in cap space, and opened up a spot for Spence or Clarke.
If that was the reason it’s still bad. First, they knew what they had in Walker already pre-injury. Not a special talent. I’d argue he was a throw-in in the trade so Philly can ice some NHL caliber bodies out there, not a sweetener to take Petersen. Second, you don’t play guys hoping to get good trade value at the expense of your young talent’s growth, especially when that young talent is ALREADY better than the older guy ESPECIALLY when you consider yourself a cup contender. None of it makes sense.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
"He's a nihilist"

"Must be exhausting"

So you think you have some say in what the Kings do?

It's not about not believing in anything. What has to be exhausting is constantly going back in history and bringing up things that shouldn't have happened, even though they did, and it's done. DL shouldn't have traded for Lucic(just one of a plethora of examples). Ok, but he did. At some point you simply have to accept these things, and it doesn't matter what else could've happened had they done something else, especially since nobody here has control over the direction of the team. Can't go back and not re-sign Kopitar. No matter how many times people say it, it's not changing. They're obviously not thinking about trading him any time soon either. Yet there are still people that say, they should trade Kopitar and start rebuilding.

But since Walker is now again being brought up, does nobody think it's easier to dump a player of his caliber with 1 year left rather than 2? Especially since he makes more cash than cap hit the last 2 years? I know, he shouldn't have been signed to that contract in the first place. Doesn't matter that Clarke was many months away from being in the organization. Doesn't matter that Spence had been a 4th rd pick just a year earlier, and only one other 4th rd pick from 2019 has done anything in the league up to this point(there's barely a 3rd rd pick who has played a game or two). But again, that goes back to, you can't do anything, because something might go wrong with you having made a choice to do something. Of course that doesn't apply to rebuilding, which always ends up successful.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
If that was the reason it’s still bad. First, they knew what they had in Walker already pre-injury. Not a special talent. I’d argue he was a throw-in in the trade so Philly can ice some NHL caliber bodies out there, not a sweetener to take Petersen. Second, you don’t play guys hoping to get good trade value at the expense of your young talent’s growth, especially when that young talent is ALREADY better than the older guy ESPECIALLY when you consider yourself a cup contender. None of it makes sense.

If someone told you at the start of last season you had to play Sean Walker 50 games in order to get rid of Petersens contract , would you do it? Of course you would, and most around would jumped the notion too. Everyone said it was an impossible contract to move, yet Blake did it by including him in the deal. whether you think he was a sweetener or not. Jordan Spence was not going to be the difference maker in winning the cup.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
If someone told you at the start of last season you had to play Sean Walker 50 games in order to get rid of Petersens contract , would you do it? Of course you would, and most around would jumped the notion too. Everyone said it was an impossible contract to move, yet Blake did it by including him in the deal. whether you think he was a sweetener or not. Jordan Spence was not going to be the difference maker in winning the cup.
Playing Walker 50 games was not how they moved Petersen. It was Grans and a 2nd. Kings also retained nearly Walkers salary in Provorovs contract.
A lot of times you say nonsense trying to defend Blakes things that dont need defending.

JeanBlanc

Jul 8, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
inferior players (at this time in their careers) with no future so the Kings can keep with their slow boil approach.
I think Bjornfot is the example of the concern the development staff has of rushing players into the NHL and having them learn on the job. He's now way behind where he should be and could have been. The NHL isn't a developmental league. The AHL is.

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia

He'll have to or he won't be in the league for long. If the Kings are still trying to make a run now, they don't have time to wait for him to figure it out or for Todd to figure out how to properly deploy him.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I think Bjornfot is the example of the concern the development staff has of rushing players into the NHL and having them learn on the job. He's now way behind where he should be and could have been. The NHL isn't a developmental league. The AHL is.
It more likely that Bjornfot isnt that good more so than his development path... all of it is conjecture.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com

Hi KH - He's almost 25. And one thing that wont get better is his skating and he's obviously done growing... so its an easy decision to me, because of Clarke primarily and Spence. DD for better or worse is always going to be your PP1 QB... Durzi's best skillset is PP2 QB - and Clarke is better and Spence is probably about the same. So where does Durzi add value to the roster? Best wishes to him. Btw my son just saw him south of Phx at a bagel shop - true story

Reactions: psych3man

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
1. Players still develop in the NHL, so saying it's not a developmental league is hogwash

2. He played 70 games last season amid injuries to the entire corps and was fine. Suddenly when there's depth he's "way behind"?

3. If he NEEDS this much development time why did they ever healthy scratch him at all? He should have stayed in the AHL and had Moverare play in his stead during games Edler was scratched.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
The AHL is better for developing guys that need to refine their game to make it to the next level. For guys like Turcotte and Bjornfot that already think and play the game well enough to be pros the AHL is not helpful. Its their physical development that needs to mature and the AHL does not change genetic maturity and is filled with guys that will prey on them.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Hi KH - He's almost 25. And one thing that wont get better is his skating and he's obviously done growing... so its an easy decision to me, because of Clarke primarily and Spence. DD for better or worse is always going to be your PP1 QB... Durzi's best skillset is PP2 QB - and Clarke is better and Spence is probably about the same. So where does Durzi add value to the roster? Best wishes to him. Btw my son just saw him south of Phx at a bagel shop - true story
I'm not saying we shouldn't have traded him.

I just don't like the whole narrative or people shitting on a player just because we traded him.

He'll continue to get better and will likely do so in AZ. Good player.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
They played Walker AND Durzi over Spence who is currently and in the future better than both. And no I wouldn’t do that to deal Petersen who could have been bought out next year.

Reactions: tbrown33

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I'm not saying we shouldn't have traded him.

I just don't like the whole narrative or people shitting on a player just because we traded him.

He'll continue to get better and will likely do so in AZ. Good player.
Got you... He was the best at getting his shots through from the point of anyone on the team - and maybe one of the best in the league. AZ might be a good place for him so he gets lots of minute and pp1 qb.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
It freed up $5m, they still had to retain on Provorov to make the deal work

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad