Confirmed with Link: Sean Durzi traded to Arizona

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
1. Players still develop in the NHL, so saying it's not a developmental league is hogwash

2. He played 70 games last season amid injuries to the entire corps and was fine. Suddenly when there's depth he's "way behind"?

3. If he NEEDS this much development time why did they ever healthy scratch him at all? He should have stayed in the AHL and had Moverare play in his stead during games Edler was scratched.
If players don't develop in the NHL, then why is QB on the Kings team, he should be down in the AHL.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Durzi was soft as baby shit last year. Moving the worst dman I’ve seen in recent history and opening the door to Clarke who plays with more BALLS is a massive win. Good trade.
Actually thought Roy would be moved! But that will probably happen at the 2024 TDL. Then Doughty,Spence and Clarke can be the RD! I imagine Clarke starts the year in Ontario and Spence gets the 3rd pairing RD spot cause he's earned and deserves it! Clarke is the future and probably Doughty's replacement when numero otto gets dealt or retires

JeanBlanc

Jul 8, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
1. Players still develop in the NHL, so saying it's not a developmental league is hogwash

I agree that players still develop in the NHL, but that's different from saying the league is focused on developing players.

2. He played 70 games last season amid injuries to the entire corps and was fine. Suddenly when there's depth he's "way behind"?

Yes, he played 70 games when there weren't other options. That doesn't mean he was ready to do so, or that it helped his development.

3. If he NEEDS this much development time why did they ever healthy scratch him at all? He should have stayed in the AHL and had Moverare play in his stead during games Edler was scratched.

I agree with you. Bringing him up and scratching him isn't consistent with focusing on his development. Bad move on the Kings part. Or inconsistent goals between the GM and the Head Coach.

The AHL is better for developing guys that need to refine their game to make it to the next level. For guys like Turcotte and Bjornfot that already think and play the game well enough to be pros the AHL is not helpful. Its their physical development that needs to mature and the AHL does not change genetic maturity and is filled with guys that will prey on them.
I guess I just disagree that Bjornfot plays the game well enough to be in the NHL full time. There were things he did well and things he needed to work on. Every once in a while, he'd decisively carry the puck with elite level footwork. Than that wouldn't happen again for long stretches.

If I were to stipulate that there were guys in the AHL who would prey on physically immature players, why would the much bigger and faster NHL be a better place for them?

I like Bjornfot and I really want him to succeed. If he emerges with a ceiling of LD3, I'll be disappointed. I thought he had the potential to do better than that.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
So you think you have some say in what the Kings do?

It's not about not believing in anything. What has to be exhausting is constantly going back in history and bringing up things that shouldn't have happened, even though they did, and it's done. DL shouldn't have traded for Lucic(just one of a plethora of examples). Ok, but he did. At some point you simply have to accept these things, and it doesn't matter what else could've happened had they done something else, especially since nobody here has control over the direction of the team. Can't go back and not re-sign Kopitar. No matter how many times people say it, it's not changing. They're obviously not thinking about trading him any time soon either. Yet there are still people that say, they should trade Kopitar and start rebuilding.

But since Walker is now again being brought up, does nobody think it's easier to dump a player of his caliber with 1 year left rather than 2? Especially since he makes more cash than cap hit the last 2 years? I know, he shouldn't have been signed to that contract in the first place. Doesn't matter that Clarke was many months away from being in the organization. Doesn't matter that Spence had been a 4th rd pick just a year earlier, and only one other 4th rd pick from 2019 has done anything in the league up to this point(there's barely a 3rd rd pick who has played a game or two). But again, that goes back to, you can't do anything, because something might go wrong with you having made a choice to do something. Of course that doesn't apply to rebuilding, which always ends up successful.

It’s not exhausting to think management sucks. Opinions don’t cost.

Reactions: KINGS17

JeanBlanc

Jul 8, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
If players don't develop in the NHL, then why is QB on the Kings team, he should be down in the AHL.
Well, again, I didn't say that players don't develop in the NHL. I said it wasn't a developmental league.

Also, I'm pretty Byfield did play in the AHL.

2020-2021 32 games
2021-2022 11 games
2022-2023 16 games

I remember the discussion with Byfield was whether the AHL was enough of a challenge to spur his growth and development.

Kings Face Difficult Decision With Byfield
The worry with playing him in the AHL is that it can stall his development. He proved that he can be a dominant player in the minors last season — specifically during the middle of the season — and he might not gain much going back down to dominate. With that, you worry that he could pick up bad habits that will harm him in the NHL.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I'm not saying we shouldn't have traded him.

I just don't like the whole narrative or people shitting on a player just because we traded him.

He'll continue to get better and will likely do so in AZ. Good player.
For the record Ii shitted on Durzi before Blake traded him.

Good luck Sean. You have a long career ahead of you.

Reactions: bouncesonly

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I think Blake could have gotten more for Durzi as the offseason moved forward but was rushed to move him because of these PLD rumors and he needed cap space.
The pick he got is interesting. It pretty much prevents the PLD saga ending up in a Montreal offer sheet after July 1- that 2nd in mtl's 2024 2nd and LA now controls it- wonder if that was a consideration to keep Mtl from reacquiring it

Reactions: funky

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Actually thought Roy would be moved! But that will probably happen at the 2024 TDL. Then Doughty,Spence and Clarke can be the RD! I imagine Clarke starts the year in Ontario and Spence gets the 3rd pairing RD spot cause he's earned and deserves it! Clarke is the future and probably Doughty's replacement when numero otto gets dealt or retires

If the Kings are in the playoffs, they're not trading Roy at the deadline.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
The roster space was just as valuable as cap space.

The roster space was still going to come now or down the line. Durzi was still going to go to get Clarke and Spence on the roster. I fear that Blake is making moves too quickly for someone like PLD but is only fighting against himself.

The pick he got is interesting. It pretty much prevents the PLD saga ending up in a Montreal offer sheet after July 1- that 2nd in mtl's 2024 2nd and LA now controls it- wonder if that was a consideration to keep Mtl from reacquiring it

I doubt Montreal was going to offersheet PLD. I know they used the offersheet on Aho but that backfired on KK and I don't think they want that happening again. Also Winnipeg is probably going to have plenty of space to match the offer (even though PLD doesn't want to be there). It gives Winnipeg more ammo in a trade to another team. I also don't think Blake is that smart enough to think about a move like that.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad