Sean Couturier

Status
Not open for further replies.

SchennSational1022*

I don't see how anyone can fault berube's use of Coots. We have two centers that are capable of taking dzone faceoffs. 1 of those centers is also our best offensive center.

Its either Giroux or Coots. You want to save giroux for as many ozone starts as possible. SO you use coots a lot. Makes sense. Id blame Hexy for not finding a center that can alleviate some of the burden giroux and coots have.

You also continuously dump on Couturier so it's not really a surprise you're playing devils advocate.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
I don't see how anyone can fault berube's use of Coots. We have two centers that are capable of taking dzone faceoffs. 1 of those centers is also our best offensive center.

Its either Giroux or Coots. You want to save giroux for as many ozone starts as possible. SO you use coots a lot. Makes sense. Id blame Hexy for not finding a center that can alleviate some of the burden giroux and coots have.

That's not the same thing that Berube said. I somewhat agree with you, but it doesn't change the fact that what Berube said was utterly idiotic.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Ok first off what a coach and gm say to the media mean absolutely Fing nothing. Don't react to any of those comments ever, because they mean nothing. What if he says "Yeah couts didn't score because he was getting no ozone starts" well guess who has bargaining power next contract negotiation.

There is so much more going on than what is being said, please remember that.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Ok first off what a coach and gm say to the media mean absolutely Fing nothing. Don't react to any of those comments ever, because they mean nothing. What if he says "Yeah couts didn't score because he was getting no ozone starts" well guess who has bargaining power next contract negotiation.

There is so much more going on than what is being said, please remember that.

This doesn't make a shred of sense. You can hedge what you say to the media without saying flagrantly stupid things instead.

Considering in this case he's taking a dig at Couturier not meeting his offensive expectations, I think he firmly means what he's saying. He's not playing some negotiation game for Hextall. He's not even involved in that. He's just a moron.

This is the same guy who thought Gill would be better than Gus because size is more important than talent. He's got a track record of doing stupid things as coach, so it's safe to assume when he says stupid things it's because he means to say stupid things. Not because it's some bizarre doublespeak with a longterm strategy.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia

Hopefully Laughton can take some of that burden if he gets called up next year.

I also think it's telling that Couturier feels more comfortable talking about this stuff in a press conference than he does with his coach.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
This doesn't make a shred of sense. You can hedge what you say to the media without saying flagrantly stupid things instead.

Considering in this case he's taking a dig at Couturier not meeting his offensive expectations, I think he firmly means what he's saying. He's not playing some negotiation game for Hextall. He's not even involved in that. He's just a moron.

If you want to be one of those people that hangs on to every word said to the media then be my guest. But you are too smart to do that.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If you want to be one of those people that hangs on to every word said to the media then be my guest. But you are too smart to do that.

Berube has established that he is a bad coach. So when he says things only a bad coach would say, it's not out of character.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Hopefully Laughton can take some of that burden if he gets called up next year.

I also think it's telling that Couturier feels more comfortable talking about this stuff in a press conference than he does with his coach.

hopefully, but again he is a young guy. Most young centermen in the league are sheltered and given ample ozone opportunity. I think what would be more beneficial is if we can get a guy to play the role of Boyd Gordon.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
hopefully, but again he is a young guy. Most young centermen in the league are sheltered and given ample ozone opportunity. I think what would be more beneficial is if we can get a guy to play the role of Boyd Gordon.

Chicago are still not in great cap shape.

Kruger is an RFA... I would love to prise that guy away. Young, very good on D, great PKer, produces 20 points with virtually no offensive zone starts.

Gaustad, Kruger, Gordon, Winnik and Boyle I think are the 5 best 4Cs in the NHL. (well, who have played 4C for a decent stretch in the last 2 years, Winnik though likely would not accept that role now.)

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Berube has established that he is a bad coach. So when he says things only a bad coach would say, it's not out of character.

Its funny how winning determines a good coach from a bad one. Its also funny how talent effects winning.

Look at all the "bad coaches" in all sports when they had bad talent, they look at those same coaches when they had talent.

Bruce Bochy
Bill belicek
Pete Carroll
Quennville
Darryl Sutter

Just look at lavy. Took a horrible team last year and turned them into a 100 pt team in a season. If he was such a great coach why was he fired?

Coaches are easy to replace , players are not. Players have more to do with winning and losing than any coach.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Chicago are still not in great cap shape.

Kruger is an RFA... I would love to prise that guy away. Young, very good on D, great PKer, produces 20 points with virtually no offensive zone starts.

Gaustad, Kruger, Gordon, Winnik and Boyle I think are the 5 best 4Cs in the NHL. (well, who have played 4C for a decent stretch in the last 2 years, Winnik though likely would not accept that role now.)

Exactly. If we were able to get a guy like kruger then that would be huge. Imagine how much that would help coots and Giroux. But i also don't think we are going to come close to getting a guy like that.

I wish we really had held on to a guy like michael Chaput. He is a guy who I think could become that player. I am also still holding out hope for a Sobotka deal/nhl reunion.

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
Its funny how winning determines a good coach from a bad one. Its also funny how talent effects winning.

Look at all the "bad coaches" in all sports when they had bad talent, they look at those same coaches when they had talent.

Bruce Bochy
Bill belicek
Pete Carroll
Quennville
Darryl Sutter

Just look at lavy. Took a horrible team last year and turned them into a 100 pt team in a season. If he was such a great coach why was he fired?

Coaches are easy to replace , players are not. Players have more to do with winning and losing than any coach.

Lavy is a great coach, he wasn't the right coach anymore for this team with this roster.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012

Bruce Bochy
Bill belicek
Pete Carroll
Quennville
Darryl Sutter

so you honestly think berube is a competent coach?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Bellemare could have taken more D zone draws, but Berube got obsessed by the idea of stapling Lecavalier to his wing for most of the season.

Vancouver and Winnipeg are playoff teams this season because they changed their coaches. The talent level is no better.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Bruce Bochy
Bill belicek
Pete Carroll
Quennville
Darryl Sutter

:facepalm:

Berube is a bad coach because he takes a flawed roster and makes it worse. He is a bad coach because he cannot handle ice time. He cannot manage in-game decisions. Hell, he can't even handle shift changes cleanly. He ruined a good PK. We can go on for pages about the things Berube does that a good coach does not do. Berube makes winning harder, and that's a sure sign of a bad coach. This team was fighting both its own inherent flaws and Berube's awful decisions.

Lavi is a good coach. Always has been when in the right situation. This was noted by tons of posters on this board when he was fired. But he needs the ideal roster for his system, one where the players are mostly ready to compete and know how to play two-way hockey. Without that his system does not work. Nashville happens to be a good fit.

You're not seriously defending Berube now, are you? What has the guy ever done to indicate he is qualified for his job? Or is his criticism of Couturier all you need to become enamored?

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Bellemare could have taken more D zone draws, but Berube got obsessed by the idea of stapling Lecavalier to his wing for most of the season.

that line got pinned in their zone all year. Rinaldo/ vinny it didn't matter. What other options were there.

Now hopefully with those two gone they cvv and bellemare can take more dzone starts but again they need another winger. Berube was handcuffed by this roster.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013

Vancouver and Winnipeg are playoff teams this season because they changed their coaches. The talent level is no better.

Where else can you really put Lecavalier besides the press box though? I keep seeing people hit on Berube for Lecavaliers use but he just doesn't fit anywhere.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
that line got pinned in their zone all year. Rinaldo/ vinny it didn't matter. What other options were there.

Now hopefully with those two gone they cvv and bellemare can take more dzone starts but again they need another winger. Berube was handcuffed by this roster.

Lol, yeah, the roster handcuffed Berube into putting the 4th line out for offensive zone starts after icing and TV timeouts when the 1st could've easily gone.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
:facepalm:

Berube is a bad coach because he takes a flawed roster and makes it worse. He is a bad coach because he cannot handle ice time. He cannot manage in-game decisions. Hell, he can't even handle shift changes cleanly. He ruined a good PK. We can go on for pages about the things Berube does that a good coach does not do. Berube makes winning harder, and that's a sure sign of a bad coach. This team was fighting both its own inherent flaws and Berube's awful decisions.

Lavi is a good coach. Always has been when in the right situation. This was noted by tons of posters on this board when he was fired. But he needs the ideal roster for his system, one where the players are mostly ready to compete and know how to play two-way hockey. Without that his system does not work. Nashville happens to be a good fit.

You're not seriously defending Berube now, are you? What has the guy ever done to indicate he is qualified for his job? Or is his criticism of Couturier all you need to become enamored?

:laugh:

I hated berube all year and then when i read that quote i had an instant change of heart. No but in all seriousness, I am just not a big fan of Coaches taken all the blame especially when the roster is as bad as it is. Its an easy way for players to escape blame and what not. This roster was bad , and he played sean in a way in which it was the only way we could win. Imagine how terrible we would be if we had anyone other than coots and g taking all those dzone faceoffs. Just imagine that for a moment.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Lol, yeah, the roster handcuffed Berube into putting the 4th line out for offensive zone starts after icing and TV timeouts when the 1st could've easily gone.

When you realize that cvv and vinny were two of our better even strength performers per 60 minutes then it kind of makes sense.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You also continuously dump on Couturier so it's not really a surprise you're playing devils advocate.

He isn't wrong though. At least not this time. Your 4th line, especially the center, needs to be able to alleviate defensive responsibility from the other three centers. Flyers didn't have that.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Also, Berube isn't to blame simply because they lost and nobody is saying the roster is perfect, but he does have a large share of the blame because he made winning even more difficult than it had to be. The roster is flawed, we all know that, but Berube made those flaws as visible as possible and hurt the team. That's why he should be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad