Sean Couturier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Hearing a rumor that Couts now drinks coffee by putting coffee grinds on his face and drinking warm water.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Pierre McGuire just said that most people wont have Couts "in there" for the Selke, but he definitely deserves consideration.

He doesn't score enough to garner serious consideration. The trophy is unofficially for the best two-way forward in the game now, so Bergeron/Kopitar/Toews will probably be the frontrunners this year.

SAINDON

May 9, 2012
The First State
He doesn't score enough to garner serious consideration. The trophy is unofficially for the best two-way forward in the game now, so Bergeron/Kopitar/Toews will probably be the frontrunners this year.

I hear ya. It was just interesting to hear Pierre say how Couts frustrates the oppositions best players night after night. :handclap:

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Any Flyers fan that thinks Coots is over-rated needs to take a hike. (there are a few of them on this board - I am embarrassed about)

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I don't think anyone in that thread saying no to the trade is saying Weber isn't better than Couturier.

And? That's the point I was trying to make. Weber is a better player and fills a much more important role. Who in their right mind wouldn't give up Couturier for that? And I say that as one of Couturier's biggest fans. I think he's the second most important player on this team.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
And? That's the point I was trying to make. Weber is a better player and fills a much more important role. Who in their right mind wouldn't give up Couturier for that? And I say that as one of Couturier's biggest fans. I think he's the second most important player on this team.

The idea is that trading for Weber doesn't make this team an instant Stanley Cup favorite. We would have to make more moves AFTER that trade, and we'd only have about 5 years to do it while Weber is still an elite player.

Anyway, I can see where the talk of us overrating him is coming from. We sure do talk about him a lot. It's deserved though. 21 years old and he's already one of the most important pieces on our team. It's hard not to get excited by that.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario

It would be different if the Flyers were a Weber away from being a legitimate Stanley Cup contender. I know I said no to a Weber/Couturier trade because the Flyers aren't a legitimate Stanley Cup contender yet and to trade for Weber would put them no further ahead and would end up creating another hole in the lineup. Yes, Weber would be a fantastic addition and would be that legitimate top pairing defender this club needs. At the same time, the rest of the defense remains what it is - mediocre at best and the move would end up creating a big hole in the lineup as to who plays the Couturier role. Schenn can't do it, Vinny can't do it, Laughton hasn't played a game in the NHL yet, so we don't know if he can do it.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
The idea is that trading for Weber doesn't make this team an instant Stanley Cup favorite. We would have to make more moves AFTER that trade, and we'd only have about 5 years to do it while Weber is still an elite player.

Anyway, I can see where the talk of us overrating him is coming from. We sure do talk about him a lot. It's deserved though. 21 years old and he's already one of the most important pieces on our team. It's hard not to get excited by that.

It would be different if the Flyers were a Weber away from being a legitimate Stanley Cup contender. I know I said no to a Weber/Couturier trade because the Flyers aren't a legitimate Stanley Cup contender yet and to trade for Weber would put them no further ahead and would end up creating another hole in the lineup. Yes, Weber would be a fantastic addition and would be that legitimate top pairing defender this club needs. At the same time, the rest of the defense remains what it is - mediocre at best and the move would end up creating a big hole in the lineup as to who plays the Couturier role. Schenn can't do it, Vinny can't do it, Laughton hasn't played a game in the NHL yet, so we don't know if he can do it.

Finding a center with the ability to fill a checking role is a hell of a lot easier than finding a top three defenseman in the game. There's nothing to suggest that Weber won't be elite well past his 35th birthday. That gives the Flyers 8-10 years of play from him. In that time, I'm sure they can find a way to put a couple of defensmen around him, as well as finding another checking center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad