Sean Couturier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Alright, that answers my question right there.

So, why defend Berube in this situation? You don't agree with him.

Go to Minnesota board before Dubnyk aquistion, Go to the pittsburgh board when they were rolling through teams in the first two months of the year, Go to the Caps board when they lost to montreal as the stanley cup favorites.

Fans jump on coaches when things are down, and they praise coaches when things are up. That is just too reactionary for me. I am just the type of person that likes to take a step back and try to understand as much as i can about the situation.

If i was head coach of this team, I would make no changes to the time on ice of the players, nor their zone usage. What I would do is beg Hexy to find me a veteran 3rd line center that is good at faceoffs. If he got me that guy then bam coots and g ozone usage go way the F up.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
You are right Couts taking D-zone draws is important for the team to win. Do you think starting in the D-zone affects how much offense he produces.

Of course. It doesn't take a braniac to understand that pts are tied to ozone time.

Please quote this and apply direct answers.

How many points do you think Couts could get if his o-zone starts increased to 50%?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Go to Minnesota board before Dubnyk aquistion, Go to the pittsburgh board when they were rolling through teams in the first two months of the year, Go to the Caps board when they lost to montreal as the stanley cup favorites.

Fans jump on coaches when things are down, and they praise coaches when things are up. That is just too reactionary for me. I am just the type of person that likes to take a step back and try to understand as much as i can about the situation.

If i was head coach of this team, I would make no changes to the time on ice of the players, nor their zone usage. What I would do is beg Hexy to find me a veteran 3rd line center that is good at faceoffs. If he got me that guy then bam coots and g ozone usage go way the F up.

People here were down on Berube while we were going into the playoffs last year. Last I checked, Minny fans still have a lot of concerns about Yeo and think he's being masked by the team. A tons of Habs fans think their coach is a moron, again being masked by excellent goaltending.

If a coach is doing blatantly stupid things it's pretty easy to spot, winning or no.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries

Why are you defending the exact quote. If you believe zone starts effect production why are you defending Berube's claim that they do not and are simply an excuse for Couts.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Send VdV/Umberger-Bellemare-Read out for some DZ faceoffs. Let Couturier play with BSchenn and Simmonds some of the time. These are options Berube never tried because he was too inflexible to break up Coots and Readeven when they were struggling.

And before anyone says Umberger shouldn't be out on DZ draws, he was a lot of the time with Couturier and Read.

I'm a bit baffled to your answer, it doesn't directly point out in where you are playing VL. My statement was to point to the people that complain when VL gets prime scoring offensive zone starts and then also say he is a defensive black hole. You can't complain about Berube's usage of VL when he sucks both offensively and defensively. Mitigating your risks with VL is about all you can do.

But to back on topic, Berube is an idiot for saying he doesn't see how Couturier's low OZ starts are effecting his production. If you can't understand how having a OZ start rather than a DZ start will allow a player to produce more then you have no business in hockey.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
ok. What should he have done instead?

Dude, you understand there are other options besides giving Couturier 50% usage and exclusively defensive usage, right?

He can and SHOULD still get the hardest minutes on the team by far. But he should NOT be getting the hardest minutes in the league to the point where he's a freaking outlier. Give him the same minutes guys like Bergeron get. That's all we ask.

You don't need a defensive ace 4C to allow that to happen. You just need smarter usage of your other players, combos, matchups, and situational circumstances (eg, TV timeouts).

A nice, middle ground is what we're asking for. We're not looking to give Couturier easy minutes...or even moderate minutes. His ice time is still going to be ****ing tough, but it shouldn't be hardest-in-the-league-by-a-country-mile tough.

Does that not make sense?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

So you've found an article that proves Berube doesn't know anything about advanced stats and may not even use them. He didn't even know when the team started using them, but is pretty sure it was sometime while he was head coach. :laugh:

How does this help advance your argument that Berube knows this stuff?

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
So you've found an article that proves Berube doesn't know anything about advanced stats and may not even use them. He didn't even know when the team started using them, but is pretty sure it was sometime while he was head coach. :laugh:

How does this help advance your argument that Berube knows this stuff?

Really thats what you got out of that article?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad