Confirmed with Link: Sean Couturier new contract 8x$7.75 AAV

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
Yes, that is my point. He elected to take less through his career for the good of the team.

You're arguing for its own sake again.
What you perceive as arguing is called conversation. No he took less on this deal. Not his first one. His first one he took the cash.

Reactions: phil162888

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Comparing the "jobs" of hockey players with we regular schlubs is apples and oranges.

In some degrees, yes. But not in all.

You still have to like where you live, or at least, be compensated enough to tolerate it(crappy location).
You have to want to go to work everyday, or be compensated enough to tolerate it(crappy organization).

It's still a job. A dream one for most, for sure. But just because they get to play hockey for a living doesn't mean they're robots, either.

Reactions: BernieParent

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
In some degrees, yes. But not in all.

You still have to like where you live, or at least, be compensated enough to tolerate it(crappy location).
You have to want to go to work everyday, or be compensated enough to tolerate it(crappy organization).

It's still a job. A dream one for most, for sure. But just because they get to play hockey for a living doesn't mean they're robots, either.

True, but few of us have binding contracts that would require management to actively find us another place to work if we say that we no longer wish to be part of the organization, or simply telling us that we cannot leave.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
True, but few of us have binding contracts that would require management to actively find us another place to work if we say that we no longer wish to be part of the organization, or simply telling us that we cannot leave.

100% -- There are absolutely some differences. But I dont think that being a hockey player necessitates that you dedicate your life to the team that drafted you, and if you don't, you should be considered 'disloyal'. I wouldnt want to stay in Edmonton if i was drafted there, just as i would never take a job there, either.

People's lives and priorities change. What if a hockey players family is in Philly but Montreal drafts them -- should they be shamed because they want to move back to be closer to family? Short of them demanding a trade, or causing a fuss about it -- if a player runs out a contract and decides to leave, I dont't think theres anything 'disloyal' about that.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
100% -- There are absolutely some differences. But I dont think that being a hockey player necessitates that you dedicate your life to the team that drafted you, and if you don't, you should be considered 'disloyal'. I wouldnt want to stay in Edmonton if i was drafted there, just as i would never take a job there, either.

People's lives and priorities change. What if a hockey players family is in Philly but Montreal drafts them -- should they be shamed because they want to move back to be closer to family? Short of them demanding a trade, or causing a fuss about it -- if a player runs out a contract and decides to leave, I dont't think theres anything 'disloyal' about that.

Thanks, Starat. There's the rub. Nothing disloyal for a player to say at the end of their contractual obligation, "I want to go somewhere else." Of course, there's RFA status but then I'd just be annoyingly argumentative.

Reactions: Starat327

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Thanks, Starat. There's the rub. Nothing disloyal for a player to say at the end of their contractual obligation, "I want to go somewhere else." Of course, there's RFA status but then I'd just be annoyingly argumentative.

Yeah, I mean, if a players being a jerk and crying about leaving, i get that - in some instances - being misconstrued that way. But even then, i think context needs to be applied, because we dont really know all the details. Eichel is a good scenario, for example. We dont REALLY know whats happening behind the scenes, what the sabres are telling/told him previously about if theyd trade him, what theyd do for his medical stuff, etc.

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
He said he hopes AV is here for all 8 years
200.gif

200.gif

200.gif

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Love the precedent this sets. No defenseman should make more than Provorov and no forward more than Couturier. Fletcher went out of his way to say Couturier was this teams best player, I’d expect Giroux to come in at 6 or less on his next deal.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008

I sincerely think there should be more focus on the guys who aren't necessarily stars. Going to twenty percent on a two way deal would be a good start. At the minor league level it's not even a good job. Between the travel the relocation and the uncompensated time spent training most folks would be better off with regular day jobs. I'm pretty sure an echl player with kids can get free lunch at school not exactly glamorous

Reactions: Beef Invictus

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Couts got same money as svechnikov. Amazing, love everything about this deal, even the no movement clause to protect our future gm's from the temptation of trading him for Atkinsons of the world.

RonHextall27

Mar 12, 2008
Halifax, NS
Glad he's locked up. Very signing bonus heavy, I wonder if he has an off season residence in a low or no tax State that he can claim for the July bonus. Makes a pretty big tax savings for the player

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The man took $1.25M less per year than Dougie Hamilton just got on the open market.

A display of very rare leadership qualities & I’m sure glad the Flyers have him. I get the strong feeling he has taken over the mantle. You could sense it when Primeau did it, & I get that same feeling.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Man ryjo and duchene…wtf happened to them lol. Just terrible offensively now
I think that franchise is just cursed when it comes to centers. They can draft/develop defensemen like no other team in the league, but they probably couldn't even find a top line center if they had the 1st overall pick.

Reactions: flyerslducks

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
I think that franchise is just cursed when it comes to centers. They can draft/develop defensemen like no other team in the league, but they probably couldn't even find a top line center if they had the 1st overall pick.
...or the second overall pick

Reactions: LorneMalvo

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Please keep in mind that Coots' contract doesn't kick into affect until after NEXT season... so we can add a years inflation discount to it... and slide that down the line for eight years after that. That being the case, the deal is even sweeter.

Of course, a boom or bust season coming up by Coots or Flyers could've affected the Contract one way or the other also... as could the NHL market... and either side could gave bet on it had they so chosen, at the potential cost of that impacting Coots/Flyers. I believe what they hammered was what best for the Flyers, and assumingly for what Coots wanted.

I'm both thrilled and relieved.

Last edited:
Reactions: LorneMalvo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad